Thread: refinishing lacquered shells

User Info Menu

Default refinishing lacquered shells

Ok I Have a nice little 6 piece set of sonor force customs that sounds great but man after 10 years of heavy use pretty beat up. After having some issues with my PDP's being a little big and/or loud for some gigs I'm taking them out of retirement. They look really rough though, they have a dark walnut lacquer finish to them that's all dinged up.

What would be suggestions on refinishing, Relacquering?? Wraps?? I also see these easy wraps like the sic skinz brand, anyone have any real world experience with them....Any thoughts, suggestions, comments are greatly appreciated...Thanks
    Kit 1:
    Sonor Force Custom
    18 kick
    10, 12, 13 toms
    14 floor

Kit 2:
    PDP 805
    24 kick
    13 rack
    16,18 floors

14x6.5 pork pie snare
    10x5 pork pie aux snare

Cymbals:
    14 paiste vision hats
    18 paiste rude wild crash
    19 inch paiste alpha rock crash
    10 sabian pro china splash
    22 vintage zildjan ride

User Info Menu

Default Re: refinishing lacquered shells

Well for one are you sure they are wraps. Most lacquers are on wood finish which are not wraps. Wraps are more for sparkle or chrome finish look. My maple kit is finish clear lacquer over the maple shell and I believe it is like 20 coats and hand polished. You could have a wood veneer finish. Show us some pics and we can it take from there.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 09-06-2010 at 11:08 AM.

User Info Menu

some of the new wraps are nice and easy to use . you didnt say they were wrapped did you ? if they are a lacquer, i would think you could strip the shells and refinish them ,, but you'll be hard pressed to get a finish like the factory, with the wrap you can change the whole look of the set ,, i'll bet if you talk to some people that sell the wrap kits ,im sure they would tell you how to do it.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

hey guys thanks for replying..I'm pretty sure they are a lacquer finish..they definitely look lacquered in the areas that are dinged. I just ordered new heads today and once I get them in I will take the opportunity to get some good pics of the edges and let you guys see what you think along with some of the dinged areas.

Myself I am leaning a bit to the wraps really, I think some of the newer wrap designs are really neat looking. I know most of the wrap companies talk about the ease of installation but I would rather hear that from someone who actually did it that was impartial and let them chime in on how easy it was if you catch my drift..

for now here is a link from the sonor museum on the series for you guys to review...again it is the force custom series. it is acutally a darker finish then the maple, I believe antique walnut was what it was called. came out a few years later from the launch of the series which I am assuming when this flyer was made

force custom link
    Kit 1:
    Sonor Force Custom
    18 kick
    10, 12, 13 toms
    14 floor

Kit 2:
    PDP 805
    24 kick
    13 rack
    16,18 floors

14x6.5 pork pie snare
    10x5 pork pie aux snare

Cymbals:
    14 paiste vision hats
    22 vintage zildjan ride

User Info Menu

It would be very expensive/time consuming/challenging to refinish the lacquer by yourself or having someone do it for you.

Wrapping them would be easier, but you should probably remove the lacquer finish first, since you have to glue down the wrap.

The easiest option, which you mention, is sicskinz and/or rockenwraps, which allow you to wrap right over the current finish as they float. All you would need to do is cut holes for all the drum hardware (unless the place will do it for you), and you'd have a new wrap finish that you can remove fairly easily.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

thanks for the info Kaosotis. Yeah I like the concept of the sicskins and rockenwraps however didn't know if it was all hype. Have you actually used them or know anyone that has? I might give em a try anyways although im a little bit aways from getting them. I have a friend that has done actual wraps although I haven't heard from him in a while and not sure if he's in the area anymore. ill have to check em out a little closer and of course if anyone has actually used them feel free to chime in with your experince
    Kit 1:
    Sonor Force Custom
    18 kick
    10, 12, 13 toms
    14 floor

Kit 2:
    PDP 805
    24 kick
    13 rack
    16,18 floors

14x6.5 pork pie snare
    10x5 pork pie aux snare

Cymbals:
    14 paiste vision hats
    22 vintage zildjan ride

User Info Menu

I haven't used them, sorry. I've never refinished a drum, but did look in to it for my old Tamas at one point.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Kaosotis of what I saw on the Sonor Museum site it looks like your Sonor Force Customs are made out of Noth American Maple on of the best maple in the world. So they are worth refinishing. If they are in bad shape and you can't live with the sight of them, then by all means get them refinished or do it yourself if you dare. You could take a drum to a furniture restorer and he may give you some pointers. If you decide to do it yourself you would have to remove all the lugs and then strip all the lacquer and stain. Once this done you get a maple wood filler for the bad dents and sand then reapply a stain that you like or original color. Then find a good clear furniture lacquer or varathane with a high gloss diamond finish. The reason I mention this is because I have refinished a few pieces of antique furniture and this is how I done it. Your drums will have to be out of commission for a while unles you do one drum at a time. Good luck to whatever you decide.

User Info Menu

I am glad this thread is started. I was just about to post a similar question. I have a Gretsch Cat Maple that has some cracks and dings in the clear coat. Was going to ask if anyone has done any "ding" repair on their drums. I got a reply from Gretsch (kmc music) that the clear coat is a polyurethane finish. I am not too concerned about the dings actually, I am worried if the cracks in the finish will grow (like a broken windshield). Anybody ever repair anything like this?

User Info Menu

Wasn't me who was asking pearl man.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

check is wrap maybe it will help
    it very nice

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...3.html?t=17133

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY