Thread: Stick Height?

User Info Menu

Default Stick Height?

This is somewhat of a poll as I try to find my own groove:

When you play a paradiddle -> accent on one -> What is your stick height for the accent? what is your stick height for 2,3,4?

Thanks,
    Mike

reference: Absolute beginner, trying to play singles to doubles to paradiddles, matched grip. With a four week goal of 140 BPM 16th notes in 4/4. Using wrists only, not fingers or other techniques which are well beyond me at this very early point.
    10" Remo Practice Pad
    A couple of wooden sticks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Stick Height?

That's really tough to answer, it's going to depend a lot on how loud you're playing, what playing style people have, what length stick they use, how big their hands are, etc. Generally I don't think I've ever measured an exact height off the head for my playing. Closer to the head for quieter playing, further away for louder. However, for consistency's sake you probably want the accent on 1 to be slightly higher and then 2, 3, and 4 to be pretty much exactly the same.
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove

User Info Menu

In marching band and things like that I think it's safe to keep the accent at 9inches and the inner beats at 3. Trying to bring out the accents as much as possible. At least thats what my instructor told me.

User Info Menu

There is no answer to that. Depends on how loud everything else is and how fast you are playing. If just practicing to be able to get accents it might be 18 inches on the accent, and 1/2 inch on the rest. in a groove, it might just be a slight moeller snap more.

Andy

User Info Menu

Thank you all for your answers. I really appreciate your help, it seems the premise of the question was flawed. I didn't realize it being completely new.

From watching videos on youtube, I surmised that stick height was important. It doesn't seem that way after your responses. I put much more faith in the collective here than the same information source that considers Perez Hilton as news worthy.

Sincere Thanks,
    Mike
    10" Remo Practice Pad
    A couple of wooden sticks