Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What should I buy.

User Info Menu

Default What should I buy.

I cleaned out my basement and raised $900.00. Now I want to purchase my first electronic kit. I have an acoustic set and have played since I was 7. I celebrated my 60th today. I have it down to 3 sets. The Yamaha DTXPRESS IV V2, the Alesis DM10 Studio, and the Simmons SD9K. The DM10 and the SD9K come with an extra tom and cymbal, which is appealing, the yamaha appears to get better reviews. I thought I could get some good insight here. Your thoughts are appreciated.
    Gordy

User Info Menu

Default Re: What should I buy.

Wow! You got $900 from cleaning out your basement? I think I'll clean out mine! (Oh wait, I don't have a basement)

User Info Menu

Welcome to DrumChat Gordy! I play on a Yamaha DTxpressIII module with IV v2 pad set and I'm loving it! I don't have anything to compare to since this is my 1st full ekit but I can't complain about the Yamaha ekit. The voice samples are amazing and I'm talking about my module which is a bit outdated ('04). I'm sure the new modules are even better today!

User Info Menu

Alesis DM10 has hands down the best module out of these, as well as usb connectivity for computer recording if you ever choose to get into that. It is relatively new though, so don't expect to see a lot of online support from fellow users for it. From the demos i've seen, it's worth it especially at that price point. The module alone is something i'd usually expect to see for twice of it's value, and $400 more than the kit costs.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

You know, I've focused on that set, DM10, and was already to buy when I read a review, I think on Amazon where the reviewer said 2 things that scared me. One was that the Bass Drum pad would fall over all the time, and 2 was that Alesis gave you just enough cord for each trigger to position in one particular spot with very little leway to adjust to your liking. I did not hear anything like that regarding the other kits.
    Gordy

User Info Menu

One other thing about the dm10 I don't like is the single zone hihat...just not as realistic as a dual zone hihat IMO...what is your spending limit....if you can afford $2000-$2500...I'd get a used DTXtreme III..easily the nicest kit out there for under $3k...just my 2 cents...

User Info Menu

I really appreciate the input, but I got to stay around $1,000.
    Gordy

User Info Menu

I'm glad you brought up some good points concerning the set up of wires and cables and the stability of the bass drum pad.

The Yamaha KP65 kick drum pad is very tall and has a narrow foot base:

In order to have any stability in the KP65, I had to rig a bass drum mounting clamp made for an acoustic bass drum hoop and bolted the bass drum pedal to my Gibraltar rack. This made the pedal rock solid especially if I were to use a double base pedal:

As far as having enough cable length to reach each pad, Yamaha's pad cables are long enough to reach the module and if you were short, any tip ring sleeve (TRS) stereo cable from your local retailer will work:

User Info Menu

If I were to find myself in a situation where I needed more cable length, I'd just set up my module where it could easly reach my PA head where draw all of my ampage:

Costs:
    Used Yamaha DTXrpessIII module ('04 model) $150
    Used Pads Yamaha DTXpress IV v2 pad set $540
    New-Gibraltar Rack (doubles for acoustic duty) $199
    Gibraltar Legless HH stand $99
    Tom rack mount: From my old '80s Tama ekit: $0
    Last edited by late8; 09-07-2010 at 05:06 PM.

User Info Menu

Wow, nice setup. So what I am hearing, the wobbly pedal is something i'll have to deal with in all the sets and the cable length is easily gotten around. Is that right? So the Alesis is the set to get?
    GORDY

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy L View Post
    Wow, nice setup. So what I am hearing, the wobbly pedal is something i'll have to deal with in all the sets and the cable length is easily gotten around. Is that right? So the Alesis is the set to get?
    GORDY
    Thanks! I can't speak of the others but only of the ekit mentioned in my above post. There is usually a thin strip of velcro under the bass drum pedal to give it some stability but limited in strength. I've grown acustomed to the acoustic bass drum and it's rock solid. Having the ekit bass drum pedal and bad vibrations under "load" takes some getting used to but playing any ekit will take some getting use to if you've never played on one before. Lots of learning curves as far as pad dynamics and snare dynamics. Bouncing sticks off of rubber pads took some time to get comfortable so the floppy bass drum pad was just another learning curve.
    Last edited by late8; 09-07-2010 at 05:20 PM.

User Info Menu

With the money you want to spend I'd either get the dm10 or the DTXpress IV V2...I wouldn't waste my time on the simmons....both kits mentioned above have their faults...I don't like the cymbals on the 10 as much as the V2s cymbals...definitely like the hihat on the V2 better...however module on the dm10 is a little better overall module than the V2 module...with that being said ... I'd spend some time on both before you make your mind up...you won't wrong with either kit....here's a pic of my e-kit...

User Info Menu

Stay away from Simmons. The module is doo-doo. As for hardware, Simmons and Alesis actually use the same stuff, rebranded Medeli pads (at least for the cymbals). You'll notice that the DM10 kit only costs like $200 more than buying the DM10 module alone. There's a reason for that. The hardware isn't great. You'll indeed run into things like cables that are too short and clamps that break easily if you accidentally over-tighten. The "real head" pads on the Alesis are also quite loud when compared to rubber heads, which aren't all that quiet themselves.

Even so, the DM10 is worth it for the module alone. The DTXpress IV has better hardware in every regard but the module is being phased out and won't be compatible with the new things that Yamaha is doing. The DM10 is considered current generation. There's also videos on how to turn your DM10 pads into mesh pads if you really want to quiet down the acoustic noise.

It's a tough choice between the DM10 and DTXpress IV. They're about equal in overall value, but for different reasons. If you want the better hardware, go Yamaha. If you want a current generation module, go Alesis. Either way you'll be making a solid purchase.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

+1 - avoid simmons like the plague, they are not the same company they were years ago.

I am a Roland guy myself, so I'd say look for a used TD-9, but that's just me

From what I've heard over the past couple of years, you really can't go wrong with the yamaha. I've also heard lots of praise for the DM10 module. With my limited experience, I'd say Yamaha is a better kit when it comes to pads and hardware.

Go bang on a couple sets at your local drum store, just make sure someone knows how to reset the module to factory defaults, I'd put money on the settings being really out of whack!

Gretsch catalina maple in cherry red (fusion)
    Zildjian -18" ZBT crash
    14" ZBT crash
    20" ZBT ride
    Sabian -14" B8 hats
    Dream - 10" splash
    LP jam block
    Meinl tambourine
    Remo roto toms

Evans heads:
    toms-frosted EC2 SST
    snare-coated power center reverse dot
    bass-clear EMAD w/large ring

Ludwig hardware
    Pacific HH stand
    Pork Pie Big Boy Bicycle Throne

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scorch whammin View Post
    With the money you want to spend I'd either get the dm10 or the DTXpress IV V2...I wouldn't waste my time on the simmons....both kits mentioned above have their faults...I don't like the cymbals on the 10 as much as the V2s cymbals...definitely like the hihat on the V2 better...however module on the dm10 is a little better overall module than the V2 module...with that being said ... I'd spend some time on both before you make your mind up...you won't wrong with either kit....here's a pic of my e-kit...

what model is your e kit ?
    the 900 of yamaha or the 950

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

This is just my opinion, but why downgrade to an electronic kit? I realize you have an acoustic kit as well...so why not expand on that rather than buy something that's only imitating it? Besides...what you gonna do when the electric grid fails?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Timactionfigures View Post
    This is just my opinion, but why downgrade to an electronic kit? I realize you have an acoustic kit as well...so why not expand on that rather than buy something that's only imitating it? Besides...what you gonna do when the electric grid fails?
    You cannot be so closed-minded, my friend. I too prefer to play behind an acoustic set but the electronics are not without their strengths. For one, quiet practice is a huge bonus. Secondly, you get an array of funky sounds right at your fingertips. I'd never replace my acoustic with an electronic, but they are a great supplemental tool.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DLDante View Post
    You cannot be so closed-minded, my friend. I too prefer to play behind an acoustic set but the electronics are not without their strengths. For one, quiet practice is a huge bonus. Secondly, you get an array of funky sounds right at your fingertips. I'd never replace my acoustic with an electronic, but they are a great supplemental tool.
    Third of all, the possibilities are endless!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEVrN9SdRuk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEVrN9SdRuk[/ame]

Gretsch catalina maple in cherry red (fusion)
    Zildjian -18" ZBT crash
    14" ZBT crash
    20" ZBT ride
    Sabian -14" B8 hats
    Dream - 10" splash
    LP jam block
    Meinl tambourine
    Remo roto toms

Evans heads:
    toms-frosted EC2 SST
    snare-coated power center reverse dot
    bass-clear EMAD w/large ring

Ludwig hardware
    Pacific HH stand
    Pork Pie Big Boy Bicycle Throne

User Info Menu

Happy belated 60th birthday!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Riouel View Post
    what model is your e kit ?
    the 900 of yamaha or the 950
    Actually my kit is the 1st generation DTXtreme I RHP kit (circa 2001-2003) with all new cymbals, rack and module (PCY135/155, RHH135 hihat, hex rack and DTXtreme III module updated to DTX900 firmware)...it came with real drum heads, hence the name RHP (real head pads)...I have changed heads over to mesh for quietness and actually like the feel of these pads better than roland mesh pads...not as bouncy...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DLDante View Post
    Absolutely agree with you!...hard to beat an e-kit for those late night practices and also for some gigs...where too much acoustic noise can be a problem (i.e., church)...BTW...I believe the V2 can still be used with the new TCS pads...just requires a little bit of tweaking to get it to work with the new pads...but can be done..(at least according to TomTom at DTXperience)
    Last edited by scorch whammin; 09-08-2010 at 04:38 PM.

User Info Menu

I've heard some pretty convincingly realistic ekits, although they were set up with VST. I wouldn't be quick to count them out as a 'downgrade' yet. The main thing I think that gives them a bad name is the dynamics and rebound of the kit compared to a more traditional one that we're used to. It's a lot different of a feel, but there's ways to go about making them play just like an acoustic.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

the new pearl electronic kits looks acoustic and would probably feel acoustic also but they are expensive

User Info Menu

I really appreciate the various inputs. I need to answer a couple questions. I am probably past my prime. I have my degree in music from UWM and the only thing that got me was a regular gig in a wedding band for 30 years. I have a nice Yamaha Acoustic set in the basement and a stereo set up next to it. I currently get my thrills by blasting the stereo and playing along with it. I can't quite get the stereo loud enough to really be able to play like I used to when in the band and still be able to hear the music. My wife also gets anoid at the sound level. My answer was the electronic set. With headphones I could cut loose with out disturbing the wife and neighbors. I've tried out some sets in stores and think it would work. Just something to do in my spare time. This is how I ending up cleaning the basement because I had an old drum set, cymbals, and a Lionel set up that I never used.

User Info Menu

Past your prime? You're only 10 years older than me man and we're not too far apart...geez!