Thread: Does it have to hurt?

User Info Menu

Default What do you do when your sticks start to slip?

Sometimes the sticks start to slip out of your hand. Should I be able to recover them while playing? And did you ever drop one while playing (this is, in a concert or something)?
    Last edited by Alaman; 04-12-2007 at 04:21 AM.

User Info Menu

Two words: Grip Tape....... I use it and love it, my hands get very sweaty so it's been great for me. My teacher came over last night and it was the first time he felt a pair of sticks with grip tape. I'm sure he'll buy some on his next trip to the music store, he said the sticks felt great.

User Info Menu

Definitely. I use Pro Mark™ Stick Rapp©
    on my sticks. Also, everybody drops a stick once in a while, even the best pros. No big deal.
    Last edited by BigTallG; 04-12-2007 at 04:24 PM.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

If the grip stuff fails you could always keep some spare sticks close by incase you drop one and can't reach it.
    Eskimos

User Info Menu

I use Pro Mark Naturals. They seem to stay in my hand better than finished sticks.
    i must be the only hip hop fan here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallG
    Definitely. I use Pro Mark™ Stick Rapp©
    on my sticks. Also, everybody drops a stick once in a while, even the best pros. No big deal.
    I use that, I've got the checkerboard, it's really soft...I thought it was gonna be just like tape but thicker...but it's like padding
    The egg approves!

User Info Menu

I've never had to use grip-tape. I mean, of course I've dropped sticks before, but I can usually recover them before I drop them.

It sounds like grip-tape would give you blisters out the yazoo!
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."
    - Henry David Thoreau

My set: Sonor Force 2003 Fusion Kit. 16" B8 Thin Crash, 20" B8 Ride, 16" Wuhan China, 14" B8 hi-hats, 10" AAX Splash
    PDP Double bass Pedal, PDP throne.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Metal-head
    If the grip stuff fails you could always keep some spare sticks close by incase you drop one and can't reach it.

I keep at least 4 pairs in my stick bag at all times, hanging right on my floor tom. ALWAYS a good idea to have sticks within reach while you're playing.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallG
    I keep at least 4 pairs in my stick bag at all times, hanging right on my floor tom. ALWAYS a good idea to have sticks within reach while you're playing.
    The bass player in the metal band I'm in says he knows I'm getting into it after I've lost the first stick. I always have a stick bag strung between 2 floor toms and can pick em up nice and quick.

User Info Menu

haha i only drop my sticks when im playing with sticks that arent mine
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

i felt better about losing my stix when i went to the paul mccartney show in ohio in 05 i think and saw his drummer lose his stick--and he happened to be on the big huge moniter when he did, i was of course watching him and saw him lose it, but thankfully it was at the end of the song (maybe sgt pepper) and he just used the one hand--

i figure if your good enough to play for paul ****in mccartney, who also plays drums, you have to be pretty dammm good

User Info Menu

i used to drop my sticks all the time lol!

my teacher always told me that if you got really good technique, you shouldnt drop the sticks to often at all. once a blue moon.

i agree with him coz as my technique improved, i dont drop the sticks as much.