Thread: Getting ready to buy my first Djembe!

User Info Menu

Default Getting ready to buy my first Djembe!

Hi all! I have been reading threads and reviews, but haven't seen anything in the archives, so I figured I'd sign up and join the crowd! I found a "Toca Freestyle Antique-Finish Djembe" 14" for sale and am thinking about pulling the trigger....is this a decent drum to learn with? Also, in the past I've watched videos from instructors online on youtube (justinguitar is awesome), but haven't found anybody throwing up comprehensive lessons on youtube...does anybody have any recommendations?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Getting ready to buy my first Djembe!

When it comes to djembes I always tell people to look for traditional rope tuned drums from Senegal, Guinea, Ivory Coast or Mali. It should be carved from 1 piece of hardwood with aprx. 14" head aprx. 24" tall, and should have real goat skin. Watch out for the tourist drums, stuff like faces carved in the shell, paintings on the shell, etc are more decorative than they are an instrument. You will not find a quality REAL djembe at places like guitar center, sam ash, MF etc. Keep an eye out for a used drum or look for an african drumming community in your area, they are everywhere.

As far as the Toca model you are refering to, I would not reccomend it if you are serious about learning djembe. If you plan to just mess around with it on campouts or something its fine, but if you want to do any kind of traditional djembe playing you want the real deal. I'd suggest doing a lot of research first and decide what you want to use it for and how serious you are about learning. Check out the djembefola forum, some good information and you might be able to find a decent drum for sale there.

User Info Menu

Hi, Gretschhead! Thanks for your reply...I will do some research on that. What's the biggest difference? For the 14" it's by far the best "deal", but your post is much more informed than mine. Most of the drums you're mentioning are much more than the $110 Toca I'm looking at. Do you know of any video series that are free online?

User Info Menu

Jim Donovan had some good stuff, at least for a beginner like me

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFh0UXH5uM4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFh0UXH5uM4[/ame]

Gretsch catalina maple in cherry red (fusion)
    Zildjian -18" ZBT crash
    14" ZBT crash
    20" ZBT ride
    Sabian -14" B8 hats
    Dream - 10" splash
    LP jam block
    Meinl tambourine
    Remo roto toms

Evans heads:
    toms-frosted EC2 SST
    snare-coated power center reverse dot
    bass-clear EMAD w/large ring

Ludwig hardware
    Pacific HH stand
    Pork Pie Big Boy Bicycle Throne

User Info Menu

Hi, clrizz. Thanks for the video, it was very helpful. Have you used the DVD? It looks like it could actually be pretty useful as well, I've watched guitar DVD's in the past that didn't help me at all (not exactly sure why), but this does look slow and thorough enough!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Getting ready to buy my first Djembe!

What Gretschhead pointed out is valid. I played (and reviewed) Toca and LP djembes a while back (look them up in the DRUM REVIEWS section elsewhere), and while they are good djembes for what they are, they are built to a price. If, indeed, you need a "knockaround" djembe, they will do (I had trouble keeping them between my legs as I played them), but if you want the real deal, check with a drum store that specializes in African drums or talk with someone who plays in an African drum group...

and welcome aboard, bro'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mmmcarrots View Post
    Hi, Gretschhead! Thanks for your reply...I will do some research on that. What's the biggest difference? For the 14" it's by far the best "deal", but your post is much more informed than mine. Most of the drums you're mentioning are much more than the $110 Toca I'm looking at. Do you know of any video series that are free online?
    A traditional djembe sound requires an extreme amount of tension on the head for those ear piercing slaps and tones. The build and materials used in the mainstream factory stuff just doesn't cut it. The shell needs to be made of a very dense hardwood and needs to be 1 solid piece to support all the tension needed. Alot of the factory made djembes aren't even wood at all. A quality animal skin is probably the biggest factor, synthetics are not acceptable, goat is the most common used, though I have seen cow, mule, etc used as well. Key tuning does not achieve enough tension in my opinion and puts stress points on the shell, traditional rope tuned is the only thing I would reccomend.

Like I said before, the Toca can get you by to learn on, but not much else. I know budget has a big play in what you end up buying, and there's nothing wrong with buying the cheaper model to see if you like it and want to stick with it. On the other hand, I find it not only more fun to play, but also easier to learn on a good quality sounding instrument. If you can't produce a good sound from the instrument, you end up getting discouraged and give up easier. I'd suggest checking around the used market and be patient, deals do come around, I see quality used African drums in the 100-200 range quite often. I've even seen a few in pawn shops too, so check around.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mmmcarrots View Post
    Hi, clrizz. Thanks for the video, it was very helpful. Have you used the DVD? It looks like it could actually be pretty useful as well, I've watched guitar DVD's in the past that didn't help me at all (not exactly sure why), but this does look slow and thorough enough!
    I never actually bought the DVD, just watched on line. If your looking for a bullet proof djembe to start with, I would recommend a Remo key tuned djembe. The shell is a composite material, and the heads are synthetic. The point is, they can go from here to there with no real worries about tuning. Moisture and humidity don't really affect the drum. And it's easily tuned with the included drum key.

I know to some this is not a "real" djembe, but it's a great start to see if djembe is for you.

I would recommend going with the 12" though, if you want that traditional slap sound. The 14" and 16" don't really have that(at least in my case, I had the 14") but the bass in those sizes is HUGE.

The video is from a couple friends of mine at a local bar. He is playing a 12" remo, use headphones if you can, the audio is straight from my camera. Hope this helps a bit!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjsF-wn1UJE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjsF-wn1UJE[/ame]

Zildjian -18" ZBT crash
    14" ZBT crash
    20" ZBT ride
    Sabian -14" B8 hats
    Dream - 10" splash
    LP jam block
    Meinl tambourine
    Remo roto toms

Evans heads:
    toms-frosted EC2 SST

Ludwig hardware
    Pacific HH stand

User Info Menu

First a comment on Jim Donovans video. To call that djembeplaying is an insult to vest african drumming traditions. Bad sound and even worse technique. I have had two african master drummers as teachers, and have seen others perform. The best way to learn is to watch good african drummers, preferably live, but there are some on youtube.
    I agree with gretchhead about everything he says on djembes, except tuning and sound. The sounds you get on a djembe should be deeper than on any conga. But I am just talking. Find some good AFRICAN drummers, listen,watch and learn. Listening and watching is just as important as practicing.
    cat

User Info Menu

Almost forgot about Leon Mobley, played with Ben Harper for a bit. Heck of a hand drummer and percussionist. Playing a key tuned djembe here(I think it's a remo):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyk2-ezzE4U"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyk2-ezzE4U[/ame]

Zildjian -18" ZBT crash
    14" ZBT crash
    20" ZBT ride
    Sabian -14" B8 hats
    Dream - 10" splash
    LP jam block
    Meinl tambourine
    Remo roto toms

Evans heads:
    toms-frosted EC2 SST

Ludwig hardware
    Pacific HH stand

User Info Menu

Now we are getting somewhere. This Leon Mobley is really good. And he shows that you can do it on a machinetuned djembe.
    cat

User Info Menu

Good displays from you all! beginners to advanced..its funny how when I got my Djembe
    even without seeing these videos, I just took to it naturally..I did however see and pick up techiques later to practice...still no drum circle for me yet..have not found one or honestly looked to hard for one. maybe this winter..
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Question Re: Getting ready to buy my first Djembe!

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    When it comes to djembes I always tell people to look for traditional rope tuned drums from Senegal, Guinea, Ivory Coast or Mali. It should be carved from 1 piece of hardwood with aprx. 14" head aprx. 24" tall, and should have real goat skin. Watch out for the tourist drums, stuff like faces carved in the shell, paintings on the shell, etc are more decorative than they are an instrument. You will not find a quality REAL djembe at places like guitar center, sam ash, MF etc. Keep an eye out for a used drum or look for an african drumming community in your area, they are everywhere.

As far as the Toca model you are refering to, I would not reccomend it if you are serious about learning djembe. If you plan to just mess around with it on campouts or something its fine, but if you want to do any kind of traditional djembe playing you want the real deal. I'd suggest doing a lot of research first and decide what you want to use it for and how serious you are about learning. Check out the djembefola forum, some good information and you might be able to find a decent drum for sale there.
    Hi Gretschhead I was looking at some djembes on the site http://discountdjembes.com/store/ and they have so many and prices look good exept that most of the wood mentioned are mostly African Mahogany is that a good wood? also most are all carved are theythe good ones.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Hi Gretschhead I was looking at some djembes on the site http://discountdjembes.com/store/ and they have so many and prices look good exept that most of the wood mentioned are mostly African Mahogany is that a good wood? also most are all carved are theythe good ones.
    Mahogany is not the best wood for djembes. You want one of the following woods: Iroko, Lenge, Demba, Djalla, or Rouge, might be a couple others I'm missing, but this will give you a good start. The very last 2 drums on that site are the only djembes worth buying in my opinion. Still a very nice price for them though.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Getting ready to buy my first Djembe!

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    Mahogany is not the best wood for djembes. You want one of the following woods: Iroko, Lenge, Demba, Djalla, or Rouge, might be a couple others I'm missing, but this will give you a good start. The very last 2 drums on that site are the only djembes worth buying in my opinion. Still a very nice price for them though.
    Thanks again for your advise cause this is probably the second or third time that you have been helpfull to me. The djembe site is big so now at least I have an idea to what to look for in a djembe.Thanks appreciated.