Thread: Why "Spang-A-Lang?"

User Info Menu

Default Why "Spang-A-Lang?"

Why is the ride cymbal pattern in jazz mostly 1 2 and 3 4 and 1? I don't understand why that was used in that way (I LOVE it, but I'm curious). I heard guys doing it on hi-hat and others started doing it on the ride. So, any idea what caused that particular rhythm and not just 1, 2, 3, 4?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Why "Spang-A-Lang?"

Are you asking about the swing pattern?

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ZackPomerleau View Post
    Why is the ride cymbal pattern in jazz mostly 1 2 and 3 4 and 1? I don't understand why that was used in that way (I LOVE it, but I'm curious). I heard guys doing it on hi-hat and others started doing it on the ride. So, any idea what caused that particular rhythm and not just 1, 2, 3, 4?
    Just try playing 4 on the floor, hi-hat with foot on the 2 & 4 and swing your ride cymbal as 1 "& 2", 3 "& 4". You'll hear how the feel of the beat change...

When playing with brushes on the snare drum surface, your right hand still accent on the 2 & 4 and swing the last two notes of the triplet while the left hand keep and steady sweeping motion.
    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    TAMA - AQUARIAN - DW PEDALS - SABIAN - ISTANBUL MEHMET - ZILDJIAN - PAISTE - VATER

Member: Aquarian Preacher Nation & AAXplosion army...

AND I CONFESS I'M A DRUMGEAR-A-HOLIC

User Info Menu

Nechre, yes I am.

Mind_Drummer, I hear that, I guess I'm just curious on the history and the beginnings and how it came about.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mind_drummer View Post
    Just try playing 4 on the floor, hi-hat with foot on the 2 & 4 and swing your ride cymbal as 1 "& 2", 3 "& 4". You'll hear how the feel of the beat change...

When playing with brushes on the snare drum surface, your right hand still accent on the 2 & 4 and swing the last two notes of the triplet while the left hand keep and steady sweeping motion.
    Walk The Dog, Walk The Dog!