Thread: Recording onto my laptop with a DTXPress III. Please help :)

User Info Menu

Question Recording onto my laptop with a DTXPress III. Please help :)

Hello all,

My friend and I make music together at home all the time, but since I'm away at school we have no way to jam together. I decided to purchase a DTXPress III this summer, and now I'm really trying to record. I have Sonar 8 producer, and my e-kit, but I don't know much at all about recording drums.

My question is: What do I need in order to start recording from my e-kit onto my laptop? What kind of cables, converters, etc.

Thanks much for your help

User Info Menu

Default Re: Recording onto my laptop with a DTXPress III. Please help :)

Quote Originally Posted by LaRZo1 View Post
    Hello all,

I decided to purchase a DTXPress III this summer, and now I'm really trying to record. I have Sonar 8 producer, and my e-kit, but I don't know much at all about recording drums. My question is: What do I need in order to start recording from my e-kit onto my laptop? What kind of cables, converters, etc.

Thanks much for your help
    I don't know about Sonar 8 Producer, but here's how I record to Audacity (free source program).

- Use a y-cable like posted below, out from your module 1/4" L/R outputs to your laptops 1/8" "line-in" port.

- Adjust your levels by recording yourself a few times (see what works for you).

- Record your drums on your recording program.

- If you have a CD player or iPod, run it into your modules aux-in/mix-in port and record yourself with some drumless music tracks (of course, you already have some drumless tracks in your module).

- Convert your recording to an mp3 format and name. Audacity uses LAME to convert to mp3's (I'm not sure what Sonar 8 Producer uses). Good luck.