Thread: Recording onto my laptop with a DTXPress III. Please help :)

User Info Menu

Default Recording onto my laptop with a DTXPress III. Please help :)

Posted this on the Electronic Drums forum, but then realized that this might be the more appropriate place

My friend and I make music together at home all the time, but since I'm away at school we have no way to jam together. I decided to purchase a DTXPress III this summer, and now I'm really trying to record. I have Sonar 8 producer, and my e-kit, but I don't know much at all about recording drums.

My question is: What do I need in order to start recording from my e-kit onto my laptop? What kind of cables, converters, etc.

Thanks much for your help

User Info Menu

Default Re: Recording onto my laptop with a DTXPress III. Please help :)

Is this your module? From what I can tell it has no input for a direct connection to computer. It looks like you'll need to connect this module to a midi interface, via a midi cable from your midi in. Then, use a usb or firewire cable from your interface's usb in or firewire port into your laptop. For interfaces, I recommend usb 2.0 or firewire types(if you have firewire ports on your laptop) because these connections are the fastest, and result in the lowest latency.(delay) Hopefully your laptop has good enough specs in the following areas to run your favorite DAW and/or drum sampling software:
    1) cpu/processor speed
    2) memory
    3) drive speed
    4) drive space
    Last edited by Russ; 09-10-2010 at 03:59 PM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Default Re: Recording onto my laptop with a DTXPress III. Please help :)

You only need a midi interface if you are trying to send midi info to a PC to trigger software.

To simply record the output of your e-kit, you don't even need an interface. You just need a Y cable that goes from 2 1/4" plugs (in your L and R outs on the module) to an 1/8" plug to go in the line in on your laptop.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle