Thread: Heads...

User Info Menu

Default Heads...

Just need some advice..

I'm 14 and I've been playing for around 7 years, but I don't have much experience with choosing the right resonant heads to go with my batters.

So, I play a 6 Piece Pearl Export Series, 14", 10", 12", 14", 16" and 22"...I like a kinda fat rock sound sooo, I'm thinking...

(I like Remo btw)
    14" Coated Controlled Sound over a Hazy Snare Side Diplomat.
    Clear Pinstripes on all the Toms, and over Clear Ambassadors
    And a Clear Powerstroke 4 Batter on my Bass with an Ebony Powerstroke 3 Resonant...

Is that all good, or do I need adjustments?? Please let me know.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Heads...

sounds good to me!!
    welcome to drumchat im sure youll have fun here.
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

thanks man, it's nice to feel welcome :D

User Info Menu

Most people do a 2 ply head over a 1 ply head. For a fat sound I love Emps for batters (I have mine over the stock 1 ply head).

User Info Menu

Welcome to DC!!! I personally prefer the Sound Controlled heads. I have used the Powerstroke 3 on the BD, but have been using an Aquarian SK1 that I think really sounds amazing. But as anyone would tell ya, you have to decide on your own what sounds good to you. Remember there are a lot of different tuning techniques that can enhance your sound as well. Good Luck!

User Info Menu

Sounds good to me!
    Matt

User Info Menu

Everything's cool, but personally i'd take the Ported Ambassador for the bass drum reso
    Paiste Alpha 14'' Sound Edge hats
    Paiste Alpha 16'' Medium Crash
    Sabian XS20 14'' Medium-Thin Crash
    Wuhan 16'' China

drummer: Being young is good ... as long as you're also wise
    Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Then you can use napkins to wipe your hands instead of taping them to your heads.

User Info Menu

I'd go with remo powerstroke3/ambassador on bass, emperor/ambassador for toms/snare if you're set on Remo. Coated will give you a lower pitched thump, while clear will sound brighter and a bit more thud to it.
    Last edited by Russ; 09-11-2010 at 12:36 PM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Smile Re: Heads...

Quote Originally Posted by elsamo95 View Post
    Just need some advice..

I'm 14 and I've been playing for around 7 years, but I don't have much experience with choosing the right resonant heads to go with my batters.

So, I play a 6 Piece Pearl Export Series, 14", 10", 12", 14", 16" and 22"...I like a kinda fat rock sound sooo, I'm thinking...

(I like Remo btw)
    14" Coated Controlled Sound over a Hazy Snare Side Diplomat.
    Clear Pinstripes on all the Toms, and over Clear Ambassadors
    And a Clear Powerstroke 4 Batter on my Bass with an Ebony Powerstroke 3 Resonant...

Is that all good, or do I need adjustments?? Please let me know.
    I have the Pearl Masters all Maple shell and I did use Evan's G2's over Remo Ambassadors. Now I'm using Evan's EC2 over Ambassadors. I've tried the EC2's over G2's did not like the sound too closed up for me as I want resonance and single plies are the best for that. My bass is PS3 with a Aquarian 2 ply graphics reso.I also use Evan's EC frosted with reverse dot and Hazy 300 reso on my snare. All together they sound great. This is just an example cause the Remo Emperos are equal to the Evan G2's As the Pinstripe is to the EC2's. HOpe this helps a little.