Thread: Need help with drum thrones

User Info Menu

Post Need help with drum thrones

Hey guys, I am a beginner and i got my alesis dm6 electronic drum kit 2 days ago. I have been practicing on it and all i have been using is a dining room chair to sit on. I was thinking about getting a drum throne but i am not sure which one I should go with. Since I am still new to this I am looking for something cheap. And just wondering, will an ordinary bar stool work.

Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need help with drum thrones

Quote Originally Posted by nonamedude View Post
    Hey guys, I am a beginner and i got my alesis dm6 electronic drum kit 2 days ago. I have been practicing on it and all i have been using is a dining room chair to sit on. I was thinking about getting a drum throne but i am not sure which one I should go with. Since I am still new to this I am looking for something cheap. And just wondering, will an ordinary bar stool work.

Thanks
    First, welcome to Drum Chat nonamedude!

Congrats on starting an amazing journey! As to your question about a throne, I would go with a drum throne as opposed to an ordinary bar stool, because the bar stool can't be adjusted to give you the correct position behind the e-kit. Now, when you are saying you need something cheap, what approximate dollar amount does that mean to you. We wouldn't want to recommend thrones that you can't afford, but neither would we want to recommend very cheap thrones, if you could afford a little more.

Again, welcome!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thanks.

I was looking into something in the $30 range, but I am willing to go bit higher if its worth the investment. Time to put money earned during the summer to some use :D

User Info Menu

If you think about it, the throne is one of the most important parts of your drum set. You are sitting in it 100% of the time. Especially if you are playing for extended periods of time, a throne is worth the investment. That is how I justified buying a top of the line throne.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

I thought a cheap throne was ok, until i played on a nice one. Wont ever disregard a good thrown again.
    My Gear

PDP FS Fusion
    Pearl Eliminator Double Pedal
    DW Drop Clutch
    Ludwig and Pearl Cymbal Stands
    8" Zildjan A Custom Splash
    8" Sabian Splash
    14" Dream Bliss Hats
    18" Dream Bliss Crash/Ride
    18" Dream Vintage Bliss Crash/Ride
    18" Paiste China
    20" Zildjan ZXT Titanium Ride

User Info Menu

welcome to drumchat nonamedude
    best advise is go try some and choose the one your comfortable on it

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Anything specific that has good reviews?

User Info Menu

Anything specific that has good reviews?
    A throne that is mentioned on here a lot is the Roc N Soc throne.
    It costs about 5 times your budget, but IMO it is worth every penny.
    A good throne is probably the best investment you can make for your kit.
    Gretsch Renown Maple (Slate Silver Sparkle)
    20" K Custom Dark ride | 13" K Custom Dark hats
    18" A Rock Crash | 16" Amir Crash

User Info Menu

What about a used one? I just can't see $30 getting you much of anything....

User Info Menu

I have to agree with the others, you don't want to skimp on the throne. Try sitting on a $30 throne for 2 hours at a gig, you will need to go to the chiropractor the next day! Seriously, a comfy throne is the best investment you can make. It should be fully hight adjustable, double braced and sturdy, and thick padding. I prefer the wide motorcycle style seats myself, more surface area on your butt and easier access to the pedals. I like Tama and Gibralter thrones myself, but just about all of the big hardware companies have a nice seat in the $100 range. Check in the used market, can probably pick up a nice one for $50ish.

User Info Menu

If you think you will be playing for a long time (hours), get a high quality throne.

If you think you will be playing for a long time (years), get a high quality throne.

Roc-n-soc, Pork Pie, Tama, Pearl, Gibraltar are options. Pretty comfortable options from all of these manufacturers can be had for about $80-100. The "top line" gear is about $150.

Used would be a good way to go to stay under $100 and still get the top quality. But $30 would be tough on your behind. Trust me!
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus

User Info Menu

Of course, if $30 is the limit of your budget, then even a throne that fits that budget will be better than a bar stool, just because of the adjustability. I agree that looking for a used throne might keep you closer to your budget while getting you decent quality. Check out a good quality throne at a music store, so that you have something to compare to, and then check for used thrones. Good luck!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

welcome to drum chat nonamedude! when i first started drumming i made a makeshift throne out of a stool, a pillow and some tape, and i ended up using that for almost a year. when i finally got a real throne, (a tama first chair) the difference is incredible. its really solid and stable and it affects my playing alot. i feel like i can play anything! i highly recommend getting a good quality solid throne, but a bar stool will work for now.
    BREAK THE RECORD!

"Only the mediocre are always at their best"

"All im going to do is go on and do what i feel"-Jimi Hendrix

User Info Menu

I guess used is the way to go then, anything to watch out for, like damages and fake gear.

User Info Menu

Go find a good used throne. I'm sure can save yourself some money and get a good quality used throne for $30. Look for a throne with the padding still looking like new, not like it's been thrown under a city bus. Tripod legs are sturdy but there are other styles like the Rock-n-Soc lunar throne that has more than three legs to support your weight.
    Last edited by late8; 09-13-2010 at 06:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Guess ill check out craigslist and see what i can find

User Info Menu

I found a Sonor 400, and it seems like its it good condition (according to the picture), the asking price is $40.

User Info Menu

I found a Sonor 400, and it seems like its it good condition (according to the picture), the asking price is $40.
    Sonor makes great drums and hardware. I've been using their cymbal stands for over 10 years and they're great! Good find! Trying offering $35 since your budget was $30.

User Info Menu

Welcome nonamedude and I hope you find a throne. I have the Roc & Soc Nitro ( no back rest) and it is the best investment I ever did. I had a cheap throne and it was one of those screw type and it got hard on the butt. So if you can spend about 100 then you will get a good seat that will last forever. Good luck finding a seat in your budget.

User Info Menu

The offer was 50 and 40 was the lowest i could go.

User Info Menu

If it just won't fit into your budget, just keep looking. The key to finding good used gear at the right price is to have a little patience. Someone will have what you are looking for, and will be willing to work out a deal with you.