Thread: does anyone knows what kind of timbale this is?

User Info Menu

Default does anyone knows what kind of timbale this is?

The are for sale and look interesting to me, but since i'm not very familiar in the percussion product corner (especially the older stuff) I don't want to spent to much on something that maybe isn't worth a high price.

User Info Menu

Default Re: does anyone knows what kind of timbale this is?

I haven't ever seen timbales with tube lugs, but they look to be vintage and brass, so they probably sound great. I'd go check them out and hear them, if they sound good, grab them.

User Info Menu

I've been informed by Leedy2 that these are most likely Ludwig or WFL timbales that someone oufitted with tube lugs. Nothing too special he says. If they sound good and you can get them for cheap I'd go for them, but don't drop a bunch of cash on them.

User Info Menu

wonder what does hole are for?

User Info Menu

He's asking €100,-/$130 for it.

I have a 13'' LP steel Puente timbale and I have the option either to buy a 12'' LP brass Puente or this set...
    Last edited by musiqman; 09-15-2010 at 04:28 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    wonder what does hole are for?
    Most likely was a mounting bracket for the cowbell.

Musiqman, do they come with a stand? If not, I'd probably pass on it, with a stand its probably a reasonable deal. Mixing brass and steel might not work so well, the sound differences are pretty huge, I would definitely take the 13" with you to look at the 12 and make sure they pair up ok.

User Info Menu

They don't come with stand. Tnx for the tips guys!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    I've been informed by Leedy2 that these are most likely Ludwig or WFL timbales that someone oufitted with tube lugs. Nothing too special he says. If they sound good and you can get them for cheap I'd go for them, but don't drop a bunch of cash on them.
    I agree w/ Leedy 2 & he is very expert on the history of all Latin Drums. Ludwig made a smaller shell timbale,as did Gretsch in the early 60's & even late 50's. These look like copper plated WFL's w/ tube lugs added to the orig WFL / Ludwig lug hole but there is evidence of former holes which may be old lug locations or shell mountings for cow bell post. The 8 lug 14" shell was typical of Ludwig, while Rogers had 5 lugs per shell & Slingerland or Leedy had 6 per shell on 13" & 14" sets. Gretsch had small 11" shells w/ 5 lugs. The mounting here is custom made...Too heavy I'd say...& if the Ludwig clip mounts fit any shell mounts...I recomend using that common style of mounting. Enjoy ! Ernesto Pediangco

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    in addition to my earlier comment...the odd size smaller shell may be an odd size & is why they have skins & not plastic heads. I would like a set like this w/o the awkward stand mounting....but...if u always have to custom tuck the heads...its not practical & the lugs may not be good for high tunning tensions of timbales. Willie Bobo used sets like these in the 50's & 60's w/ drumset...very effectively ! The Brass 12 & 13 Lp timbale at least fits standard plastic heads !