Thread: CRACK ... the Z custom goes TWANG

User Info Menu

Default CRACK ... the Z custom goes TWANG

I had a shocking day at work yesterday, so wailed living hell out of the kit last night at a metal gig. I was having a ball, playing hard and fast and pummelling my anger and aggression away.

But I finally killed my 18 inch Z custom crash. I'd cracked it previously, and drilled out the crack to stop it spreading (a 3 inch crack right in the middle) and it's been going for about 6 months since then. But last night I could hear it go TWANG and then deaden. It almost cracked in two. Bah, there goes another pile of cash.

I'm bidding on a couple of Paiste Rudes on ebay as replacements (a 20 inch crash/ride and a 19 inch thin crash). I've always wanted Rudes), but does anyone have any other suggestions (or anything suitable they'd consider selling)?

User Info Menu

Dude...I have an 18" A Custom crash that I have been beating the living hell out of for 13 years, and nary a scratch. I think the Z Customs are too brittle, thus, prone to cracking.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

Hmmm ... I'll see how I go with the Rude (I've always loved them when I've seen heard them) but A custom might be worth checking out.

I agree with you on the brittle thing - I've got a 16 inch Z custom I use too, and I'm getting nervous about smacking it. At least the smaller size gives it less weight to bear.

What kills me is that the 18 Z was my primary crash - when I ride on a crash cymbal (which is pretty often) it was ALWAYS that one, it just sounded so big and mean. A real wall of sound thing.

User Info Menu

The rudes from what ive heard are basically the Z customs

Thin crash rudes, why do i have a feeling that those are really medium weight and the crash/rides are heavy weights, since most people use them as a crash anyways

It got the point that i didnt think paiste made a regular crash, i thought they just made htas, crash/ride and a ride for the rude series, but tell me how those work out, and dont be afraid to wail on that smaller Z custom, if its still under warrenty, you get a new one

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ch33zz
    The rudes from what ive heard are basically the Z customs

Thin crash rudes, why do i have a feeling that those are really medium weight and the crash/rides are heavy weights, since most people use them as a crash anyways

It got the point that i didnt think paiste made a regular crash, i thought they just made htas, crash/ride and a ride for the rude series, but tell me how those work out, and dont be afraid to wail on that smaller Z custom, if its still under warrenty, you get a new one
    Apparently the thin rudes are about medium weight. And the crash/rides look like fat dinner plates. Keen to try it out.

But also intrigued by A Customs. I've never played them before.

User Info Menu

I completely destroyed a ZXT crash/ride... that thing sounded dead BEFORE I cracked it but it lost all sustain after the fact. Good thing it was free
    i must be the only hip hop fan here

User Info Menu

i've said it before, i'm not a big fan of the rudes or z customs they are soooo loud and gongy. i know thats what they are supposed sound like. i just cant figure out why they make cymbals that are targeted at loud music and hard hitting so brittle. i have talked to a couple people that have switched from rudes to the cheaper alpha series beacause they think they sound better. cheaper to replace too.

User Info Menu

btw, i bought a pair of a customs a couple months ago and am really enjoying them. they are not as loud in amped settings as i had thought they would be tho.

User Info Menu

good luck getting those rudes, i have only ever come across a few and no one would sell them to me
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain
    i've said it before, i'm not a big fan of the rudes or z customs they are soooo loud and gongy. i know thats what they are supposed sound like. i just cant figure out why they make cymbals that are targeted at loud music and hard hitting so brittle. i have talked to a couple people that have switched from rudes to the cheaper alpha series beacause they think they sound better. cheaper to replace too.
    Well, hopefully I'll be checking out the thin version of the Rude crash (19 inch) and a 20 inch crash/ride - which should give an indication in the variation in sound. I've got the cash for it (had a stack of well-attended gigs recently, so I've got a fairly packed up bank account as a result; I also just finished paying off my car loan, HECS - which is Australian system of delayed paying University fees, so everything is financially good).

For what I'm playing, I really do need the cymbals to be that loud. I've used a variety of other cymbals in the same setting (mostly borrowed from friends) and they just don't cut it as well as the Z customs.

I dunno about the Rudes being brittle. Have you heard that? Everyone I talk to agrees about the Z customs, but haven't heard of anyone breaking a Rude in the same way.

User Info Menu

well, when i had rudes i had only been playing a few years, so its really hard for me to say they broke because of my technique or if it was because of the cymbals. but i broke 3 in less than 2 years. a top hat and 2 crashes.

User Info Menu

well, when i had rudes i had only been playing a few years, so its really hard for me to say they broke because of my technique or if it was because of the cymbals. but i broke 3 in less than 2 years. a top hat and 2 crashes.
    Damn. Ah well, I've give em a bash and see what happens.

PS - I don't think you could break a hi-hat and have it blamed on 'technique'. A crash or two maybe - but not a hi-hat.

User Info Menu

I have A Customs all the way around the kit and love em, had to save up for them a bit but was well worth the wait! I would say if you had a chance to, you may wanna check out the fast crashes from the A's.

User Info Menu

hows the bid on those rudes going? looks like another vote for a customs above. guessing your preferences i say dont go with the regular a customs, but maybe the a custom projection crashes might suit you well. to be honest i think the plain ol' 18" avedis med. crash is a perfect middle between the thickness and volume you like with the z customs and the musicallity of the thinner a custom.

User Info Menu

to be honest i think the plain ol' 18" avedis med. crash is a perfect middle between the thickness and volume you like with the z customs and the musicallity of the thinner a custom.

I wholeheartedly agree.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up

hows the bid on those rudes going? looks like another vote for a customs above. guessing your preferences i say dont go with the regular a customs, but maybe the a custom projection crashes might suit you well. to be honest i think the plain ol' 18" avedis med. crash is a perfect middle between the thickness and volume you like with the z customs and the musicallity of the thinner a custom.
    Just won both the Rudes: 20 inch ride/crash and 19 inch thin crash. Can't wait to get my hands on them. I've already got the new cymbal set-up planned in my mind. Don't know how long it will take them to get freighted, but have got enough backup to last until then (I'm been using a 16 inch Z custom crash, 14 inch remix crash, and occasionaly a 18 inch Z custom 'oriental smash' - possibly the most obnoxious cymbal ever made). Pick the cymbal hog (I've got a stack of other cymbals, but I really needed the Rudes ... or so I keep telling myself.)

I'm completely astounded at the difference in price of cymbals here (Australia) and the US. I was checking out prices, and it was looking like a Z custom 18 inch was gonna cost somewhere between 400-500 Aussie dollars. I think it's because of our import tax, luxury tax (yes, there is luxury tax on all musical equipment), GST, freight charges and everything else. So it turns out it's WAY cheaper to order cymbals from overseas. I managed to pick up 2 new cymbals (including freight) for the price of one new cymbal bought in Oz.

PS - thanks for the advice guys. Even though I didn't end up taking it - I just fell in love with those Rudes!

I'm gonna get the cracked Z custom lathed down and see how it works as either a small, gongy splash, or a smaller bell cymbal. Waste not want not.
    Last edited by Jobby; 04-22-2007 at 01:39 AM.

User Info Menu

Ive played on Z customs and A customs and i really really enjoyed the A customs thats what im planning on buying i scrounge up the money

User Info Menu

Default Re: CRACK ... the Z custom goes TWANG

K custom dark crashes will last longer than Z customs