Thread: DW Air-lift 9000 throne review

User Info Menu

Thumbs up DW Air-lift 9000 throne review

Manufacturer: DW
    Average price: $199

Some of you may want to call me insane for spending $200 on a drum throne. I wasn't thrilled at the prospect at first either, until I sat on one.
    I'm sure everybody has, at one time or another, had a throne that was just terrible, like sitting on a rock. With the $30 throne I used to have, I could only play for about 30 minutes at a time before I just couldn't work the bass or hi-hat pedals anymore, since both legs would be asleep.
    A few weeks ago I was in my local music store picking up some sticks, and the guy had to go in the back to get some more. While waiting, I sat on a few thrones they had on display, and immediately stopped when I sat on the DW9000. It was like a cloud of ether and pleasant dreams, I can think of no other way to describe it. With a $200 price tag, I didn't buy it that day, but I thought about it after I went home.
    A few days later I sucked it up and bought the Airlift throne, and haven't looked back since. This thing is beyond amazing, and worth every penny. I played a 4 hour set on it, and felt good as new afterward. It has 4 legs for rock-like stability and adjustable hydraulics for height (I'm 6'4", so it should be fine even for the freakishly tall). The nuts and bolts are massively thick, so there's no chance that anybody physically capable of fitting behind a drum kit would ever break or damage this throne, it's practically titanium. And then there's the comfort factor, which is the whole reason I bought it. If you prefer a back on your throne, it has brackets to install one, though you'd have to buy it separately. I think it's perfect just the way it is. The hydraulics have a very slight amount of give, so it moves up and down a bit when you work the pedals. Some might find this to be annoying, but if you give it enough time to get used to it, you may find that it actually helps your technique once you learn to work with the bounce, especially if you do a lot of fast double-bass. Some might call that cheating, I call it making good use of available resources.

In closing, I can certainly empathize with those who may be apprehensive about shelling out $200 for a throne, but I promise you, you won't regret it. The comfort level is just indescribable, and it makes my practice sessions so much more enjoyable. If it's within reason for your income, I'd strongly recommend it.

Last edited by Metriste; 09-14-2010 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Missed a typo
    Pride is the recognition of the fact that you are your own highest value and, like all of man's values, it has to be earned.

Ludwig Accent Custom 5-piece birch
    12" x 10" hi-tom
    13" x 11" mid-tom
    16" x 16" floor-tom
    6 1/2" x 14" wood snare drum
    22" x 14" bass drum
    14" Zildjian ZBT hi-hat
    16" Zildjian ZBT crash
    17" Zildjian A-Custom fast crash
    20" Zildjian ZBT ride
    DW4000 double-bass pedal
    Sticks: Vic Firth 5B

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW Air-lift 9000 throne

Congrats on the new throne Metriste, and thanks for your review of it. I am pretty happy with the throne I have, but I do think about something with a backrest sometimes.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

My last throne purchase beyond my 1st purchase of the Roc-n-Soc was $169 USD. My bum thanks me for it. I don't blame you one bit for spending $200. Great read! Welcome to the forum.

User Info Menu

I want one, but it just gets hard to decide to spend the money on one that nice when I have a nice one, just not an exceptionally nice one.

O well, my bum can just be mad at me.
    My Gear

PDP FS Fusion
    Pearl Eliminator Double Pedal
    DW Drop Clutch
    Ludwig and Pearl Cymbal Stands
    8" Zildjan A Custom Splash
    8" Sabian Splash
    14" Dream Bliss Hats
    18" Dream Bliss Crash/Ride
    18" Dream Vintage Bliss Crash/Ride
    18" Paiste China
    20" Zildjan ZXT Titanium Ride

User Info Menu

for now
    My Gear

PDP FS Fusion
    Pearl Eliminator Double Pedal
    DW Drop Clutch
    Ludwig and Pearl Cymbal Stands
    8" Zildjan A Custom Splash
    8" Sabian Splash
    14" Dream Bliss Hats
    18" Dream Bliss Crash/Ride
    18" Dream Vintage Bliss Crash/Ride
    18" Paiste China
    20" Zildjan ZXT Titanium Ride

User Info Menu

I'll have to check this out. I need a new throne, I have a DW 9000 series throne now, but there's a tear in the cushion cover, so it doesn't perform as it used to. I'm curious as to how strong the air cylinder is, though... I'm 6'8", 310 pounds... Look out, Guitar Center, I may have to break one of your thrones!!
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallG View Post
    I'll have to check this out. I need a new throne, I have a DW 9000 series throne now, but there's a tear in the cushion cover, so it doesn't perform as it used to. I'm curious as to how strong the air cylinder is, though... I'm 6'8", 310 pounds... Look out, Guitar Center, I may have to break one of your thrones!!
    Try the TAMA First Chair. I was about 350 when I got it. Down quite a bit from that mark but that throne never failed. Had it for years and it is still like new.

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW Air-lift 9000 throne review

Went to meet a fella off craigslist to buy a used tama snare stand and SKB hard snare case. He had one of these in the car in case I was interested. He quoted me $175 to take all of it.
    I sat the throne up in the parking lot and made sure the hydraulics worked, sat on it for a few as we talked and really started to like it. It looked brand new so I bought it.

Never had a nice throne in my life. This is a REALLY nice one! It is fairly heavy and bulky but it's rock solid.
    I didn't see it in this pic but on the side of the seat cushion it has DW Airlift embroidered on it. I think you can see this in my picture album.

User Info Menu

On my wishlist, but if I had to choose between cymbals and a throne, I'd go for the cymbals. I still need a china, and two more crashes before I actually want to accumulate other gear :P
    5 Piece Pearl kit 12" 13" 16" toms, 14" snare.
    16" Sabian XS20 Rock Crash
    20" Sabian XS20 Medium Ride
    14" Sabian AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats
    18" Sabian AAX-Plosion Crash
    19" Sabian AAX-Treme Chinese - pending
    Pearl Power Stroke Eliminator X Double kick pedal
    "The things that are worth knowing, cannot be taught." -Oscar Wilde
    "If you think you can or you think you can't, either way, you're right!." -Henry Ford

User Info Menu

Protection racket makes a cool throne seat cover. Check it out they are pretty cool, and are pretty affordable.
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    Try the TAMA First Chair. I was about 350 when I got it. Down quite a bit from that mark but that throne never failed. Had it for years and it is still like new.
    I have a first chair and love it! Also I think that first chair backrests are the best by far!
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

nice reveiw!!

i also own one of the Air lift thrones, i have had it for 4 years now.

i do love this throne as much as everyone else, but i want to let you all know of a problem that can be avoided.

after one of our shows, the throne had to sit in the rain for a couple minutes while other things got loaded up. the next day i had the hydraulic completely fail. when i pulled the lever, i had 3 main compression seals blow, and the throne was stuck in the down position.

i am a machine technician for a living, so i repaired the hydraulic myself- it is really more of a shock absorber than a hydraulic, because it only uses compressed gas, an not any kind of hydraulic oil, and, unlike a liquid hydraulic, it cant lift you up. but they still call it a hydraulic. while i did find oil in the casing, its not used to fill the hydraulic chamber.

only after sitting in the rain for 5 minutes, the water had caused the compression rings and seals to fail due to rust.

100% my fault- just be aware to keep this baby away from the water. dont try to do this repair yourself, its too difficult for someone who doesnt do it for a living. it has parts inside that are under tension, and they can blow out and hit you in the face. you need roll pin tools and you must be able to make gaskets and seals by yourself, i haven't found a place that sells direct replacements. you also need a small spring compressor. i replaced all of the internal parts with seals and O rings that i had to make for this specific application, and not DW parts.

thankfully, the throne works like new again, but beware of this throne killing culprit.

User Info Menu

I'm a meager 6'3" 250, but I wish I had a picture of my old Tama throne that I used forever. When I was younger and around the 200 pound mark, I used to sort of bounce up on the throne when the band would jump in certain songs.

Well, as you can imagine, the pipe for the throne just splayed like a flower over time. It was hilarious.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DamageDrummer View Post
    only after sitting in the rain for 5 minutes, the water had caused the compression rings and seals to fail due to rust.
    Thanks a million Damage!! This is some real useful info and I'll make sure it stays dry.
    Wonder what would happen if you dried it as soon as possible and a light coat of say, airtool oil?
    Sounds like the safest bet is to keep it dry.

User Info Menu

yeah for sure man, if i would have dried and oiled it right away, and not let water sit inside of it overnight, i probably would have been fine. water gets into the rubber seals, causes those to fail, and causes rust on other parts. i really kicked myself for not thinking about it at first.

the shocks on my mountain bike are a very similar design, WD-40 (Water Displacement- (40))always cures those when i accidentally bury the bike in 2 feet of mud, or end up riding through a stream. its not shock or pneumatic oil, but it does work and wont heat up under friction. the stuff can really save alot in a pinch.

User Info Menu

Nice review their Metriste.

Yes i suppose it isn`t cheap but it looks like a quality piece of gear and extremely comfortable.