Thread: Self-studying tips?

User Info Menu

Question Self-studying tips?

First of all, I would like to say a big HELLO to all of you! I'm a new member in this community and to drumming in general )

My name is Juan Francisco. I'm chilean currently living in Moscow, Russia. I began drumming exactly a week ago and I hope to get better and better over time.

Due to my schedule I cannot have a drumming teacher, so I'm self-studying with the aid of books and video courses (for example, Tommy Igoe's Great Hands For a Lifetime, Dahlgren's 4-way Coordination and so on).

Currently I'm focused on hand/finger-technique (grip and bouncing the stick), trying to achieve speed and similar response from each hand (my left one is giving me trouble but it's getting better).

All the material I have has a similar approach to teaching (basically starting on grip and following with the rudiments) but I am having trouble trying to figure out when I should move on to the next topic. As I said, right now I'm focused on rebound and with my right hand I achieve eighth notes at 132 BMP, and a few less BPM with my left one.

My approach right now is to keep practicing rebounds till I can consistently achieve eighth notes with each hand at 200 BMP and then, and only then, move on to begin the study of rudiments.

1. Is my approach right?
    2. When should I begin studying something new?
    3. Only after mastering a technique at a certain speed?

Thanks for your insight!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Self-studying tips?

Yes, fundamentals is what you should be concentrating on. This includes holding the drum sticks correctly, hitting the drum correctly for both left and right hand (eg., moeller technique), and slowly begin to learn the rudiments. I would not worry about speed or drum set playing for a while. Fundamentals are very important with drumming. There are some fundamentals that I created short-cuts for which I am still trying to correct...bad habits are hard to break. Being a beginner, you have the opportunity to learn the fundamentals the correct way. Good luck !

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drumchat Grahirus! It sounds like you on the "right" track. We all have different methods of learning and the "next move" should be totally up to your comfort level. If you feel as though you're ready then it's only you that can decide if the time is right. As you mentioned the BMP count, it's obvious you have a metronome and that's a good start. Set goals for yourself and once you've written them down on paper, read them through and make your changes as you see yourself improve. Good luck!

User Info Menu

When you get to the study of the rudiments here are three things I have found useful in my own self study. I started about 6 weeks ago:

http://www.iplaythedrums.com/rudiments has the rudiments written out so you can print them.

http://www.drumrudiments.com/ shows every rudiment as a video.

"Buddy Rich's Modern Interpretation of Snare Drum Rudiments" Book from the library explains the rudiments and there use.

Thanks,
    Mike
    10" Remo Practice Pad
    A couple of wooden sticks

User Info Menu

Hello there guys, and thank you for the answers!

If you feel as though you're ready then it's only you that can decide if the time is right
    This is exactly what I wanna address with my post here. Being the perfectionist I am, I'm afraid that I will never quite feel "ready" fot he next step, even though I could be playing sixtenth notes rebounds at 600 BMP

So, what could be a safe starting point to begin practicing something new? Eights at 200 BMP perhaps?

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Graphirus!

Moving on to the next lesson has a lot to do with how you structure your practice time. If you do one thing at a time, then you might want to set the goal at getting your right and left hand/fingers to be able to control the bounce evenly at 200 BPM. Then you can move on to be able to do each rudiment at 200 BPM, etc. Another possibility for you is to structure you practice so that you are working on several skills within the practice time. Now, your stick control exercises might still be something you want to concentrate on until you achieve the desired goal, but then continue to do them as a nice warm up prior to doing Rudiment studies. If you structure your practice this way, then you can move on to a next lesson, without feeling that you are leaving something behind to move onto the next thing. Instead, you will see how things are connected together. Each time you move on to the next lesson, you can warm up with a previous lesson, and you will see that even though you had a goal for the previous lesson, you will continue to improve previous skills as you move forward.

I don't know what kind of time you have for your lessons, so I am just offering something for you to think about.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Pastor_bob, thanks a lot for your answer! This is exactly the kind of answer I wanted to hear )

My working schedule is every other week, so I have plenty of time to practice on my free week (6+ hours each day) and when I work I practice at least 1 hour each day, so yes, I practice a lot. Now I'm at work, and my training pad and sticks are on the table next to me

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Graphirus View Post
    Hello there guys, and thank you for the answers!

This is exactly what I wanna address with my post here. Being the perfectionist I am, I'm afraid that I will never quite feel "ready" fot he next step, even though I could be playing sixtenth notes rebounds at 600 BMP

So, what could be a safe starting point to begin practicing something new? Eights at 200 BMP perhaps?
    Technically speaking, BPM counts are a great measure of improvement. It's literally a "yard-stick" to gauge your progress and a great reference tool to keep your meter "honest" but that's only half of the battle.

Once you have mastered the basic techiques of proper stick control, the next lesson is a bit more involved and it requires you to have a good "ear" to able to play with other musicians.

Dynamic control is important to understand and it's needed to create "peaks" and "valleys" and allows for "tension" to build up in certain sections of a melody. This takes lots of patients to develop.

So when is it safe to move on to the next level? The improvement and increase of your BPM count will certainly be an indication but remember, we as drummers play with other musicians. Positive feedback from jams with other musicians can be a sign that your ready for the next level.

Recording yourself as you play and listening to the results of the recording will be another way of telling if you are ready for the next level. Listen and ask yourself, "Does my drumming come anywhere close to sounding professional?" The answer to that question will put things into a clearer perspective for you.
    Last edited by late8; 09-15-2010 at 05:06 PM.

User Info Menu

Welcome to the board Graphirus.

All really good info so far and I agree with the others who have replied. You are heading in the right direction and the key to your success will be practice.

Start slow and gradually pick up tempo as you get more comfortable with what you are trying to learn. I suggest something around 80-100 BPM.

Everyone learns at their own speed depending on their natural abilities and have long and how often they practice. Have patience because learning is not an over night task and keep your practice sessions fun. When practice becomes a chore then its not fun and you will lose interest.

Best of luck and ask questions when they come up, someone here will always answer your call for help.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

I would personally try to learn the rudiments and sticking slowly, then gradually
    increase the speed........but don't forget the GROOVE ! Like the old saying goes....
    "It don't mean a think if it doesn't swing ". It looks like you are committing a lot
    of time to learn the drums; that's great........lots of advice and help on this site !

Cheers................Bob H.

ROGERS....PEARL....LUDWIG....ZILDJIAN....AQUARIAN.

User Info Menu

Sounds like you're on the right track! Most beginners just run straight to the kit and start hacking away. Which will cause problems in the long run. Sounds like you'll have a good head start. Just remember to have fun!