Thread: Ear plugs

User Info Menu

Default Ear plugs

Hey, I've recently been looking into ear plugs, cause I've been playing, and my ears have hurt afterwards. So I'm looking into them, I'm looking at these ear plugs...

But the sizes are like, T, XS, MS, S, M, L, XL, XXL, whaaat??? Anyone know what that's about??
    J-D

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ear plugs

Etymotic Research has some nice ear plugs. They have filters that do a decent job of reducing the dBs, but keeping the frequency response flat. Look under "earplugs" on their site. They have those in a generic size (a couple of sizes actually) that work well, $12. They also sell the filters that are used in custom ear molds. If you want to go the custom route, I believe if you search through their website, you can find ENTs in your area that will sell you the custom molds with their filters.

I have a set of each, they are nice. Definitely protect your ears!!

WILL SOMEBODY ANSWER THAT DARN PHONE!?!?!?

User Info Menu

Awesome, I'll look now
    J-D

User Info Menu

Can't comment on ear plugs cause I wear hearing aids so I use mutted studio headphones and they work great.

User Info Menu

Hearos "Rock" earplugs. They're like $6 or $8 and work great! Get them at just about any music store.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

heros are amazing +1 dldante
    My Gear

PDP FS Fusion
    Pearl Eliminator Double Pedal
    DW Drop Clutch
    Ludwig and Pearl Cymbal Stands
    8" Zildjan A Custom Splash
    8" Sabian Splash
    14" Dream Bliss Hats
    18" Dream Bliss Crash/Ride
    18" Dream Vintage Bliss Crash/Ride
    18" Paiste China
    20" Zildjan ZXT Titanium Ride

User Info Menu

ER-20's. They're expensive over here in NZ ($50 USD!!), but over in the States they're like $10 USD or something.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Great, thanks guys
    J-D

User Info Menu

You are doing the right thing getting earplugs. The Doce pro plugs are great if you are out and about and don't want anyone to know you are wearing them. They do work well when you are playing too. Because of how they fit, you do need to try them initially to find out your size, because if they don't fit right, they don't work properly.

When I'm playing, I use Alpine MusicSafe Pro Natural Sound Ear Plugs . They are comfortable, reduce the noise a lot, and yet it still sounds natural. I pretty much always use the Gold filters, The only time I don't is for instance, last weekend, subbing with a band, lots to listen to, and loads of cues to catch, in a strange environment. Then I put the White ones in. Even at maximum protection, it really is just like turning the volume down.

Andy

User Info Menu

I find that using these products also helps me enjoy the music a bit more. It smooths out any harshness in the sound and rounds out the tone. A lot of times, these elements are absorbed by the crowd and the room from the audience' persepctive, but when your head is 2 feet away from a crash cymbal, the effect is quite different.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    ...but when your head is 2 feet away from a crash cymbal, the effect is quite different.
    +1. I hate the sound of my drum kit from the driver's seat without ear plugs. Sounds great with the plugs, or from several feet away, but right behind it... UGH!
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

on the topic, are custom earplugs any good? my drum teacher got some from his audiologist, they block our frequencies particularly harsh to each individual, so you only block out sound you don't want.

I might be getting some soon. wise investment?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kickinit View Post
    Etymotic Research has some nice ear plugs. They have filters that do a decent job of reducing the dBs, but keeping the frequency response flat. Look under "earplugs" on their site. They have those in a generic size (a couple of sizes actually) that work well, $12. They also sell the filters that are used in custom ear molds. If you want to go the custom route, I believe if you search through their website, you can find ENTs in your area that will sell you the custom molds with their filters.

I have a set of each, they are nice. Definitely protect your ears!!

WILL SOMEBODY ANSWER THAT DARN PHONE!?!?!?
    +1 I was just going to mention Etymotic. Hands down best in ear plugs ever made. only around $13 and they fit perfect (i got the small ones) and they have flat attenuation which means they don't alter the music you are listening to.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by elsamo95 View Post
    on the topic, are custom earplugs any good? my drum teacher got some from his audiologist, they block our frequencies particularly harsh to each individual, so you only block out sound you don't want.

I might be getting some soon. wise investment?
    I really like my custom molds... I think mostly it's a comfort thing. The custom ear plugs I have house the Etymotic attenuator disks/filters. They maintain a relatively flat frequency response and you can get the filters with different attenuation levels. I only have one set, -15dB and those work great for behind a kit.

User Info Menu

awesome, thanks

User Info Menu

I use Elacin ER20 ear plugs, they reduce the volume by 20db without making everything sound dead, as they were developed for musicians. They are the only ones that I have ever used but they do a great job at gigs and in rehearsals. They cost me about £8.00.
    Mike.

"If men are from Mars, and Women are from venus then drummers... are from Pluto!" - Hughie (as played by the amazing Billy Connolly) taken from the film 'Still Crazy'.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering" - Brandon Lee

http://www.jerzeystreetband.com
    http://www.myspace.com/jerzeystband
    http://www.facebook.com/jerzeystreetband

User Info Menu

During solo practices, I just use my headphones. They're in ear noise cancelling earbuds that do an awesome job, During my band practices, I use little squishy ones from CVS. They work like a charm and barely cost anything.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dldante View Post
    hearos "rock" earplugs. They're like $6 or $8 and work great! Get them at just about any music store.
    +1

I use hearos for gigs. But for practice, I use my noise cancelling headphones.

User Info Menu

i'm developing TINNITUS - (ringing in the ears) so I went to an audiologists. I'm missing some of my mids so they made me a pair of custum molded ear plugs that allow certain freqeuncies in while reducing the DB level.

I can still hear most of the frequency range but now it's at a lower volume.

a good audiologist can help you out but I will warn you, it's expensive. Mine were about $180.