Thread: Tunning for live and recording suggestions

User Info Menu

Default Tunning for live and recording suggestions

Hi there,
    I am looking at reskining my whole drum kit which ranges in a 22" kick (current skin aquarian double kick II ) thinking to converting to the EMAD as ive heard good things about them, back and front.

Also a 10in rack and a 14inch floor (I would like to upgrade my kit to a more professional one but money is an issue) which brings me to the tunning... It is possible to get a great meaty controlled sound with the right tunining and skins and tension between them both.

I have a pearl export so what would you consider for a good choice of skins for the resonant and batter head with tunning tennsion tips.

Recording you have to have a fairly tighter head to prodcue a puncy and more accurate sound of the snare, do you agree?

I would love for your advice and help and professional experience... so im after a nice sound for Rock/ R&B / Jazz (mainly rock) but Its great to have a diverse sound.

Thanks People! cant wait to here your thoughts and advice take it easy!!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tunning for live and recording suggestions

I would avoid the EMAD reso head on your kick. The foam dampening ring at the port hole has been nothing but problems for me. They tend to begin to separate and will rattle. Evans even sent me some free replacements which only lasted a matter of weeks.

I use the GMAD on the batter and I love it. It's a thicker single-ply version of the EMAD.

User Info Menu

Alright Man,
    appreciate the reply, It's a long never ending journey on the search for the perfect match of heads. I just want a nice warm fat and controlled sounding kit, sounds nice still for recording and live.
    But when starting fresh its hard to justify where you want to tune you know unless you do it to the 3rd or 5th but I dont get that and dont feel the need for it. I'll do it by ear and will improve with years to come, its the best way to be able to do thing instinctively instead of needing other things you know especialy if you wouldnt have anything to product the note your after.

www.myspace.com/nicholasfullerton
    www.myspace.com/cityheromusic
    Last edited by City Hero; 09-19-2010 at 08:53 PM.

User Info Menu

I too currently use the Emad Reso but, as previously stated, the foam ring sucks and it does break up way too easy, I still use the head but without the ring, although I will try something different next time.

I ues an EMAD2 on the batter which does give a great low punchy sound.

I use EC2s batter and EC resos for 12 and 14 inch toms. I noticed as soon as I put these heads on that the pitch of them is slightly lower than with other heads and the overtones are controlled nicely without decaying too quickly.
    Mike.

"If men are from Mars, and Women are from venus then drummers... are from Pluto!" - Hughie (as played by the amazing Billy Connolly) taken from the film 'Still Crazy'.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering" - Brandon Lee

http://www.jerzeystreetband.com
    http://www.myspace.com/jerzeystband
    http://www.facebook.com/jerzeystreetband

User Info Menu

Thank you fo the reply friend,
    Its hard to know what sounds you are after when other peoples opinions (such as this) on long or short decays or low and high overtones can be viewed as different to different people you know, god tunning is soooooo difficult to master at this moment in time. To fussy I think but I would just love any nice drum kit I dont cae about the make I just want one I fall in love with you know.

Also people what wouldd you recommend for practice regimes. I have practice to jazz books etc and groove some times but I feel weak in confidence in my own ability at times, ive never been a very ****y (confident) person. I have days where im happy with progress but others I feel I wasted 3-4 hrs of practice if that makes sense?

Would love to hear your feedback!
    THANKS!
    Nick.F
    www.myspace.com/nicholasfullerton

User Info Menu

I recently tried the Aquarian regulator reso head with a small port hole for my bass and really like it. I was looking to try the Emad myself, but went with the Aquarian instead because of the foam ring issues noted here on DC. The Aquarian head has a "floating" muffling system that works very well. I'm also using the Aquarian Superkick II for the batter. This combo has allowed me to do away with any type of muffling (ie. pillow, foam, blanket, etc.) inside of my kick. I'm very pleased with the sound.

User Info Menu

Once again thanks people Now the topic coated heads or clear
    whats the verdict!!!!!