Thread: lessons of life-real story

User Info Menu

Default lessons of life-real story

My wife volunteers at the children's oncological section of a hospital in Madrid (this is kids with cancer). Yesterday she told me about this 14 year old kid who goes mad about drumming. It was so bad that the doctor got him an electronic drum set, but he didn't know how to play. My wife then asked me to go and teach him the little I know. And I did, and it was great. THere you had me with this bald kid who wouldn't erase a huge smile from his face, trying to remember everything you guys taught me.
    I remembered you all. And I want to thank you for being so supportive, and of course I thank God for giving me the chance of learning so much from this kid's smile.

I encourage you to share stories like this.

User Info Menu

Wow....I don't even know what to say. You are a good person for teaching him, and I thank you for remembering everyone here at Drumchat.

I don't have any stories like that but would like to salute you Alaman. Bravo
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."
    - Henry David Thoreau

My set: Sonor Force 2003 Fusion Kit. 16" B8 Thin Crash, 20" B8 Ride, 16" Wuhan China, 14" B8 hi-hats, 10" AAX Splash
    PDP Double bass Pedal, PDP throne.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alaman
    My wife volunteers at the children's oncological section of a hospital in Madrid (this is kids with cancer). Yesterday she told me about this 14 year old kid who goes mad about drumming. It was so bad that the doctor got him an electronic drum set, but he didn't know how to play. My wife then asked me to go and teach him the little I know. And I did, and it was great. THere you had me with this bald kid who wouldn't erase a huge smile from his face, trying to remember everything you guys taught me.
    I remembered you all. And I want to thank you for being so supportive, and of course I thank God for giving me the chance of learning so much from this kid's smile.

Wow Alman! That is some story........ I, also, am at a loss for words. Way to go!

User Info Menu

Cool lessons of life--real story

Aleman, it takes only a little to start something...and, mi amigo, you'll never know what you started...

For several years, the radio station where I work cooperated with the Catholic Charities in my home town in providing a needy family with a good Christmas. In 2005, the last year we did it, we selected two families...here's the rest of the story, as someone else would say...

The first family had two grandchildren, one of whom had cancer, and submitted on behalf of her sister's family. The sister was taking care of four grandchildren due to some major problems with their mother. Unbeknownst to her, the one with four grandchildren submitted a request for the first family.

Each sister thought the other's needs were more important than her own. It broke my heart when I heard the stories--and when I shared them with my boss, we agreed there was only one thing to do. We got gifts for BOTH families.

My colleagues outdid themselves, and I was thrilled to stuff the trunk of my car full of clothes, toys, food items, etc. to deliver to the Catholic Charities office. I'm tellin' ya, the feeling I had as I drove off after dropping it all off was even better than the feeling I've had after the best gig I ever played!

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Wow, what a beautiful story. This helps make up for all the mud-slinging in the Christian forum. This is what it's all really about!! Thanks for sharing this with us Alaman.

Everyone check out this event --> DrumStong.org. Drumming to raise money for Cancer hospitals and research. It's in N.C. (USA). Lance Armstrong is involved somehow. Drum Bum has been supporting it a bit and I think they might even be attending.

User Info Menu

Those are the kind of stories that really put life in perspective, Alaman and BB! I salute you!

My band and I have setup a benefit concert on the 28th of this month. Admission to the show is 2 cans of food. We have actually had many people just make donations already and have about 200 lbs. of food so far. Our goal is to donate 1 ton of food to the Burnside homeless shelter at the end of the month. We just got flyers up and started advertising on Monday, so I think we're doing pretty good so far. It just kills me inside when I go downtown and see so many people sleeping in the streets with no money, no home, no friends, and most importantly, no hope. Every little bit helps and I would be more than happy to play for free the rest of my life if it helps someone in need.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Well, I didn't want to look like being a good person or anything -that had me hesitating before posting the thread-, but I guess you might think that for a while (till you really know me and some of my many weaknesses....wich I really do have!)

Anyway, 1drumbum, congratulations, that's great. If I can help at all from Spain, let me know.
    Bongobro, that story was beautiful. But most of it, you're right. there's nothing like giving happiness to feel good with yourself. That explains the ultimate reason for our existance (as deep and easy as it might seem).
    Drummer, I was tempted to post this message in the Christian thread, but I thought this was not about religion.
    And to all of you... thank you and... you will inevitably meet with my dark side...hahaha I'm not a saint, a good person.. I've got good and bad things. I love good wine, women...and we'll talk about the bad things some other day!

User Info Menu

...and we'll talk about the bad things some other day!
    Yea, hopefully before they throw you in prison.

LOL

User Info Menu

Cool lessons of life-real story

I love good wine, women...and we'll talk about the bad things some other day!
    ...No se preocupe, hermano...don't worry, bro'...

Each of us has good things and bad things to share; the trick is to share more of the good than the bad. I love good cigars, which doesn't do much for my standing with doctors and/or clean-air fanatics...and my dark side is darker than a Cuban maduro...but that's what makes us human.

A popular slang term in the U. S. is "been there, done that." We learn from all our experiences because we can relate to someone else in the same situation somewhere down the road...o, en espanol (no es perfecto, pero...) "lo fue aqui, lo hice."

And if I ever had the opportunity to come to Madrid, I'd take you up for an evening of good wine, good conversation and definitely some drumming...ojala que si!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Yo estudio espanol en mi colegio. Para mi espanol es muy dificil

User Info Menu

Bongobro, it will be a real pleasure to share a bottle of my best wine with you, (or even two if necessary).
    And Vinnysimmo, it does not seem so difficult to you. Anyway, I'll be here for any doubt you've got.
    Drummer: us lawyers rarely go to prison...except for visiting chat moderators once in a while. LOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick
    Wow Alman! That is some story........ I, also, am at a loss for words. Way to go!
    Totally. Very Humbling.

User Info Menu

Hey guys, just an update. Our gig is tonight and we are at 1500 lbs. of food!!! Another 500 lbs. for admissions tonight and we will make our goal. Thank you to everyone for your support and a very special thank you to Alaman for offering to make a donation from Spain. You guys are the greatest!
    Da' Bum
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Alaman and BB amazing stories, its good to see that some people still care in the world. Very inspiring. Thank you.

User Info Menu

Wow!!! Last night was the best gig ever! When we were setting up, a couple of trucks pulled up and they were loaded with food that had been donated by 2 of our local churches. In total, we were able to raise over 3000 lbs. of food for the Burnside Homeless shelter in Portland. That set the tone for the night and we played our best show ever. The place was packed and the owner liked us so much that we signed a contract with him to be the permanent house band. So things turned out well for everyone involved. We are planning on doing another fund raiser like this towards the end of the summer and we are going to shoot for 2 tons of food this time.

I can't wait to see the Burnside operators faces when we roll in later today with 3 trucks over flowing with food. Oh, what a great feeling...
    Da' Bum
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads