Thread: Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute Nouveau - VIDEO!

User Info Menu

Default Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute Nouveau - VIDEO!

I've only got 2 gigs under my belt with my latest babies, but got a chance to get the Zoom Q3 out and record it a bit. So far I love the toms, but am still trying to get a better kick sound. I have Fiberskyn Ambassadors over clear Ambassadors on the toms and an Emad kick with the stock resonant head on the bass drum. The bass drum sounds horrid in this video because it is right up against a wall. The toms sound a bit choked off here, but in person they are spot on. At the end I take off the rings and they sound great, but a bit too ringy in person. I'll do a proper review once I play the kit for a few more weeks. My plan is to go to the high where I teach and record these and my Pearl VSX kit in the auditorium to get a better sound.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTg2mwd7oGE&hd=1"]YouTube - Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute Sound Test[/ame]

User Info Menu

Default Re: Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute Nouveau - VIDEO!

First of all, very nice.

Secondly, WHY THE HECK DON'T I OWN ONE OF THOSE ZOOM Q3s????

User Info Menu

Nice job on the video review....I use evans EC2 SST (clear) with great results on my MCAN's...also have used G2's (coated) with similar results....to my ears the EC2 SST's work a little better on the MCA's...but I know drumhead choice is a subjective thing...also have my toms tuned pretty much even from top to bottom...kick I use emad on batter and evans eq3 w/ kickport on reso (w/"yamaha" vinyl sticker to look like orig. head)...nothing inside

User Info Menu

Shane.
    Thats the kind of drumming I like. What you and probably everybody else knows is that i takes time to get the best out of your drum set. What impressed me the most was the sound of your cymbal. Exactly what I need myself. Could you give the info on that?
    cat

User Info Menu

The kit sounds amazing, and pretty sweet drumming too.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    First of all, very nice.

Secondly, WHY THE HECK DON'T I OWN ONE OF THOSE ZOOM Q3s????
    +1 lol.
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Shane, your skill is showing my man! The drums sound good, and so do you!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    shane, your skill is showing my man! The drums sound good, and so do you!
    +10
    Signature here

dave0549jv Guest

now with 100% more win!

User Info Menu

Wow. Thanks everyone. Seriously. thanks.

@xsabers - If you have $180 free, there is no good reason other than waiting 4-6 months for the inevitable HD video version which will probably be $300 or so, but will be mine. Oh yes.

@cat - 20" Zildjian K Custom Hybrid Ride. Amazingly cutting but still dark sound. A bit too pricey at over $325, but a REALLY good sounding ride.

@scorch whammin - they had a set of EC2s on them when I got them, but they were really beat up. It's definitely worth a try. I think I may have a 12 and 14 around somewhere...

User Info Menu

Thanks Shane. The only thing I dont like with Zildjans, is the price. But I have never played anything else. Looking forward to your next video.
    cat

User Info Menu

Hmmm, u like em high and ringy eh? Sounds cool, have you played with the tuning of each tom for the lower registers? any updates anywhere re how you like this kit? keep up the independence work bud, coolio.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Kit sounded great! Thanks for the video!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    Hmmm, u like em high and ringy eh? Sounds cool, have you played with the tuning of each tom for the lower registers? any updates anywhere re how you like this kit? keep up the independence work bud, coolio.
    That is actually a medium tuning for these drums. I put the 12" in the floor position, but they are 10/12/14. Any lower and they start to sound thud-like, but that happens with the Fiberskins on other kits as well. They would probably sound awesome tuned lower with a pinstripe. After 5 or 6 gigs, I am still very in love with the sound and looks of this kit. Thanks all again.

User Info Menu

I finally recorded another video of this kit. I am using the same Fiberskyn heads, but after a couple of months of beating them up they have settled down to the point where I can remove the rings and they are not too "ringy."

Just in time to replace all the heads with clear ambassadors

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcM4cvKEbBc"]YouTube - Yamaha Maple Customs with Fiberskyn Ambassadors[/ame]

User Info Menu

Why are you replacing them if they are sounding good?

User Info Menu

Q: is the audio only from the zoom Q3? If so, VERY impressive for a small device!!!

And nice playing/kit. I like the dry/tribal/earthy sound of fiberskyns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1986TamaSS View Post
    Q: is the audio only from the zoom Q3? If so, VERY impressive for a small device!!!

Q3's rock. I bought one because of watching shane's vids. They do pick up amazingly well.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kazaamski View Post
    Q3's rock. I bought one because of watching shane's vids. They do pick up amazingly well.
    For $199- a godsend!

Now all you need is that and a computer. Wasn't that long ago that you had to get a mic set and a mixer with some kind of a/d conversion -and- a camera just to avoid that typical "splat splat splat" drumkit sound with no bass that is all over you tube. I hate it when a kick sounds like a tambourine with no jingles. "Bump bump"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    Why are you replacing them if they are sounding good?
    Just to convince myself that I really should stick with them. I put on a set of clear Ambassadors last night and definitely like the Fiberskyns better. I wanted to make sure I really liked the sound and wasn't simply used to it.

Correct - the audio is all Q3. It is amazingly simple to use, literally 2 button presses from off to recording.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazaamski View Post
    Good call, I hope you like it.

For $199- a godsend!

Now all you need is that and a computer. Wasn't that long ago that you had to get a mic set and a mixer with some kind of a/d conversion -and- a camera just to avoid that typical "splat splat splat" drumkit sound with no bass that is all over you tube. I hate it when a kick sounds like a tambourine with no jingles. "Bump bump"
    Agreed. I am eyeing the HD version right now, but will probably wait until they come down off $300 a bit. In addition to 102x768 resolution, it has the magical "line in" jack. With that I can mic up the entire kit, send a rough mix to the camera, and avoid having to sync anything later. I did that one time and it really sucked. Hopefully you can also use the on board mics and blend the two sources together later.