Thread: DTXtreme 3 problem

User Info Menu

Default DTXtreme 3 problem

Folks,
    I'm new to the forum and this is my first post so please excuse me if this topic has already been brought up and addressed.

I'm having issues with my bass trigger on my DTXtreme 3 and its driving me nuts.

It doesn't seem to be triggering properly; meaning it works sporadically. It triggers on some strikes (mostly the firmer ones) and misses softer notes or doubles/ triples close together. You'll be playing a song and the bass notes are constantly on/off. Doesn't matter which kit you select either. I play double bass too and it sounds like crap.

I went to a local music shop and was told my sensitivity might be set too high so do a factory reset - no change!

I even sent it back to Yamaha to look at and that hasn't changed anything. the same issue persists.

The manual hasn't been much help either - I haven't been able to make much sense of the trouble shooting section - It's not very friendly to users who are new to electronic drums like I am.

So I'm at a loss here. Everything else seems to be triggering OK so I was wondering if anyone else had seen this problem and knew how to fix it. At the end of the day I'll probably go back to Yamaha for help but feel free to comment.

Cheers.

User Info Menu

Default Re: DTXtreme 3 problem

I don't have the same module/pads(roland td-7, converted from an acoustic set), but i'd like to try to help in whatever way I can. If it's okay with you, i'd like to ask a few questions first.

1) what settings for the pads do you have set? Mask, gate time, everything- please mention all settings for your triggers.
    2) what condition are the triggers in? Are they firmly locked onto the pads, and could there be any hardware issues at all?
    3) Keep in mind that you do need to hit at a certain velocity to get a good response, please realize that with e-drums- things like ghost notes and dynamics will not show up on most settings unless they are dialed in really well or you are using something to improve performance such as VST/computer.
    4) If at all possible, please take some video of you playing and talking about the problem. I don't fully understand what is going wrong, but I might be able to help you more if you demonstrate and maybe just show and tell what's going wrong in real time where I can see everything(if it's possible).

Hopefully that helps some, and if not there might be someone at Yamaha who can offer more helpful customer support for this. Really though, if it's a possibility, can you show a video so I can get a better idea of what's going wrong- and maybe hear back from you a little bit too. Thanks all the same!
    Last edited by Russ; 09-19-2010 at 05:28 AM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

You will find the answer you seek here: http://www.dtxperience.com/forums/ub...oard=95&page=1

These forums helped me out a lot when I had my DTX3 kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lemonfizz View Post
    Folks,
    I'm new to the forum and this is my first post so please excuse me if this topic has already been brought up and addressed.

I'm having issues with my bass trigger on my DTXtreme 3 and its driving me nuts.

It doesn't seem to be triggering properly; meaning it works sporadically. It triggers on some strikes (mostly the firmer ones) and misses softer notes or doubles/ triples close together. You'll be playing a song and the bass notes are constantly on/off. Doesn't matter which kit you select either. I play double bass too and it sounds like crap.

I went to a local music shop and was told my sensitivity might be set too high so do a factory reset - no change!

I even sent it back to Yamaha to look at and that hasn't changed anything. the same issue persists.

The manual hasn't been much help either - I haven't been able to make much sense of the trouble shooting section - It's not very friendly to users who are new to electronic drums like I am.

So I'm at a loss here. Everything else seems to be triggering OK so I was wondering if anyone else had seen this problem and knew how to fix it. At the end of the day I'll probably go back to Yamaha for help but feel free to comment.

Cheers.
    What do you have your "gain" set at?...and your "curve" (choices are: loud2, loud1, normal, hard1, hard2)....and your "velocity" (choices are: 0-127 low and high)..and your "level" (0% to 100%)...generally speaking the KP125 (which is what I think you have for a kick...correct me if I'm wrong)...requires a higher "gain" setting due to the offset trigger location...most people I know that have them, have them set at 65 (I believe)...BTW...almost forgot..make sure your "gain" switch on front of kick is turned all the way up...
    Last edited by scorch whammin; 09-19-2010 at 10:43 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the responses so far.

Perhaps I should have been a little more up front that I am new to electronic drums (switched over from acoustic). I'm really not very up to speed with the different pad settings, how each of them work and how to manage sound profiles... so I'm not sure if I can having an effective dialogue with an experienced user and translate that to experimenting with parameters at home.

The kit is new, no obvious hardware issues. Velocity doesn't seem to make any difference although softer strokes are less likely to trigger.

So unless anyone can take pity on me and talk in more laymans terms, or 'yes - that happened to me as well, here's how I fixed it....1,2,3...' I might be have to take it into a shop and have a face-to-face with a techie.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lemonfizz View Post
    Thanks for the responses so far.

Perhaps I should have been a little more up front that I am new to electronic drums (switched over from acoustic). I'm really not very up to speed with the different pad settings, how each of them work and how to manage sound profiles... so I'm not sure if I can having an effective dialogue with an experienced user and translate that to experimenting with parameters at home.

The kit is new, no obvious hardware issues. Velocity doesn't seem to make any difference although softer strokes are less likely to trigger.

So unless anyone can take pity on me and talk in more laymans terms, or 'yes - that happened to me as well, here's how I fixed it....1,2,3...' I might be have to take it into a shop and have a face-to-face with a techie.
    "gain", "velocity", "level", & "curve" are all words used in the menu system of your module. They are found in the "trigger" (one of the buttons on left side of module) menu area of your module and help to shape the sound, volume, & sensitivity of your kit's pads...once you select this button you will need to select "F3" to gain access to change parameters for these items...I really recommend that you read the manual on this section (starts @ p.108)...as well as becoming familiar with the whole manual (i.e., read it)....electronic kits are really neat instruments...however too many people that own them don't have a clue about how they work or how to customize kits for themselves...(not meaning this statement in a mean/angry way BTW).....also you're welcome to ask me any questions you'd like about your module/kit, etc...you can PM if you like...
    Last edited by scorch whammin; 09-26-2010 at 09:49 AM.

User Info Menu

settings on e kick drums are a fine line between getting the fast kicks to trigger and having an unwanted second trigger. You need to read and tweak till you figure it out.
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

I have the same problem, were you able to fix it yet? I found a solution. Blue tac between the trigger and the rubber head.