Thread: Lessons/Self-Taught/Creativity/Other

User Info Menu

Default Lessons/Self-Taught/Creativity/Other

Just wondering if you get lessons from the web would you still consider yourself "self taught". I have never got formal lessons just a few pointers from people magazines and the internet.......would i still be self taught? not that it really matters.....oh and by the way do ye think that lessons cramp creativity?

User Info Menu

Yes and No

User Info Menu

I say it doesn't, the way i look at it drum lessons can take away those bad habits you develop over time and they start you off on the right foot. And then they teach you the basics and then you can learn and produce you own unique sound out of what the teacher has taught you. I used to be a self taught (not for very long) but i was and i was against drum lessons for some reason, i think it was because I didn't wanna get off my butt and make time for it. It is well worth the money and i think a number of people in this drum chat will agree.

User Info Menu

i think not taking lessons in the first 5 or so years of my drumming life really hindered my ability and creativity. not to say i sucked cuz i was a very quick learning natural drummer. i just think that i would have progressed alot faster and would be more comfortable with the drumming i'm trying to do now if i had formal training at a younger age.
    Last edited by funkymcstain; 04-13-2007 at 09:55 AM.

User Info Menu

It's not that lessons cramp your creativity, it's more like they cram things into your head so that you stick to basics. I don't know, I've never taken lessons before so I can't say. I think your better off just going on what your mind tells you.

www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Im self taught on the drum set, but have done quite some time in band as a percussionist where i get some (but minimal) training. But i would say yes you are.
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

I guess lafirin has a good point.....It's one thing to learn how to "work" a drumset and its another to "play" a drum set i guess you could say

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mexicancounciloffood
    I guess lafirin has a good point.....

not saying that the rest of ye have good points too!!