Thread: Looking to Start Out the Right Way

User Info Menu

Default Looking to Start Out the Right Way

It seems I am on the edge of a great world of Latin hand-drumming. I have traveled all my life on various jobs, but I just retired and now have the stability and time to do this drumming justice. I walked into a pawnshop 20 years ago and bought a pair of white fiberglass congas, but only now have had the time to learn – by great books and videos out there. I’m having fun! But the drums I bought don’t really suit a learner – one is a requinto (9 1/2 inches) and the other is a conga (10 ½), so I am scouting around for the sensible equipment (no desire to sell the old stuff).

So my questions to you guys are:

I want to play sitting. I see that the Salsa LP have wide bottoms and are made for sitting. It looks like there is not such a wide selection of drums with wide bottoms out there for sitting, and since I will buy used drums, the chances of some coming up on Craigslist, etc. in my area are small. Yet I see great, classic drums, and they must have been played by traditionalists who sit, and they don’t have the wide bottom. Also, if you play with drums sitting on the floor, the sound must be muffled, correct?

Also, do you have tips for inspecting used drums. You guys that have played all your lives, can judge the sound, but I am just starting, so it is a bit harder. Are cracks difficult to spot or are they so hairline they are easy to miss? What physical evidence to I look at that would steer me away? Frankly, a little wear does not qualify drums in my eyes.

I am getting confused about term quinto, conga, and tumba, simply because so many different sizes are given these names in literature and in advertisements. The term requinto is also a bit confusing, but I just figure any drum under 9 ½ in. can be a requinto.

Also for a beginning set would a conga and two tumbas work as well as a quinto, conga, and tumba. I do not expect to be soloing for some time.

Thanks, Neurotic2U

User Info Menu

Default Re: Looking to Start Out the Right Way

Welcome to Drum Chat Neurotic2U! I don't have the expertise on hand drums to be of much help here - I'm pretty much a newbie on hand drums myself - so I'll let others give the advise you seek. Just wanted to welcome you.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

No reason to be concerned about wide bottoms and muffled tones when you play sitting down. You can use sit down stands, or reso plates. In any case stability is not a problem. Any conga can be played sitting down. The sizes you have are very fine. I have played congas for more than thirty years, and my two favorite drums now are one 9" and one 10.5. It would be interesting to know what brand and model your congas are. If they are LP, it is possible they still make them.
    Concerning used drums, the things to avoid are congas that are out of round, rims that are out of shape, and damaged sideplates.
    In any case, if the congas you have now sound good, you have more than enough to start with. Take your time to find out what you want and need.
    cat

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Neurotic2U View Post
    It seems I am on the edge of a great world of Latin hand-drumming. I have traveled all my life on various jobs, but I just retired and now have the stability and time to do this drumming justice. I walked into a pawnshop 20 years ago and bought a pair of white fiberglass congas, but only now have had the time to learn – by great books and videos out there. I’m having fun! But the drums I bought don’t really suit a learner – one is a requinto (9 1/2 inches) and the other is a conga (10 ½), so I am scouting around for the sensible equipment (no desire to sell the old stuff).

I want to play sitting. I see that the Salsa LP have wide bottoms and are made for sitting. It looks like there is not such a wide selection of drums with wide bottoms out there for sitting, and since I will buy used drums, the chances of some coming up on Craigslist, etc. in my area are small. Yet I see great, classic drums, and they must have been played by traditionalists who sit, and they don’t have the wide bottom. Also, if you play with drums sitting on the floor, the sound must be muffled, correct?

Also, do you have tips for inspecting used drums. You guys that have played all your lives, can judge the sound, but I am just starting, so it is a bit harder. Are cracks difficult to spot or are they so hairline they are easy to miss? What physical evidence to I look at that would steer me away? Frankly, a little wear does not qualify drums in my eyes.

I am getting confused about term quinto, conga, and tumba, simply because so many different sizes are given these names in literature and in advertisements. The term requinto is also a bit confusing, but I just figure any drum under 9 ½ in. can be a requinto.

Also for a beginning set would a conga and two tumbas work as well as a quinto, conga, and tumba. I do not expect to be soloing for some time.

Thanks, Neurotic2U
    Hey Neurotic,

My follow up question to you is- why don't the drums you have suit a learner? That is a great combo. Also, it depends upon what are you looking to play- salsa, rumba, etc?

I have the set of LP salsa congas you mention since feb of this year. They are shorter. But I find that they lack resonance (they kind of thud esp the tumba and conga even when on those rubber feet). I more recently bought a rhythm trader requinto 10" to make it a set of 4, and it has much more resonance (think that is the right term for longer lasting sound) and it is 30 inches. I also like to play sitting and since I am short I thought the salsa congas would suit me. But now that I have been doing this a short while I see that 30 inches are fine while sitting (you can also change the chair height if need be- don't sacrifice good sound for that). Also, when they are placed on the rubber feet it actually raises them up a good bit! they are also kind of bassy. They are good for now, even though they are supposed to be 'professional quality', I am about to change the water buffalo heads to mule. Would I have bought differently? The jury is still out, as the mules may conceivably improve the quality of sound, and the price was very very reasonable (probably half to 1/3 the price of the really great hand made ones out there).

I am relatively new to conga, so take this with a grain of salt, others may have different opinions than the above- it is my perspective. Also, when checking out different drum sizes, the actual size is commonly found in the drum description.

Hope this helps!

User Info Menu

Thanks to all. This is the first time I have used a chat, but I will try to get a digital of my drums to let you know what I have. I don't think they are LP, because a store clerk at a good store had never seen any like them --- even though standard (tough and iron -- no chrome here) have a LP tag on them. There is nothing on the drums, but the hardware is strong.

On choice for a beginner -- I keep running into text that says the quinto is more for solos, which I don't expect to be doing for a bit. Following the logic of what I have been hearing, a tumba and a conga seem the right move.

Frankly, too, I keep seeing these beautiful wood drums. I live with my wife in a one-bedroom apt., so my drums are right on top of us, so wood grain just appeals. Also, I've always liked nature things. However, I have Aspire buffalo heads on the drum, and I am of a mind to get some rawhide or muleskin for the fiberglass drums. Putting the things on myself is probably a good challenge.

I appreciate the word on the rubber feet as helping out the sound and keeping my options wide for drums -- or just getting the most out of the ones I have. I have to locate those feet as well as find someone who can sell the skins.

Take care,

Neurotic2U

User Info Menu

Saludos neurotic2u and welcome to the forum, I may add that the standar size for Congas use by Congueros here in the beautiful Island where I live is 11 3/4" and 12 1/2" althought some like the one in my band prefers to use two 12 1/2".

Sean, there will be a dramatic change in sound as soon as you mount those mules on your Congas and will get better as they cure and age.

User Info Menu

Of the issues I have encountered in practicing is disturbing folks in my apartment building. Luckily, it is an old building with thick plaster walls, but I do want to be considerate of the folks around. The place is full of musicians, but they are guitar, cello, electric piano (with headsets), etc. I am the guy with the drums. I play reasonably softly, and I actually think that will help me refine my skills.

However, what is the best way to muffle congas, while still getting the feel of the heads?

Thanks so much,

Neurotic 2U

User Info Menu

Of the issues I have encountered in practicing is disturbing folks in my apartment building. Luckily, it is an old building with thick plaster walls, but I do want to be considerate of the folks around. The place is full of musicians, but they are guitar, cello, electric piano (with headsets), etc. I am the guy with the drums. I play reasonably softly, and I actually think that will help me refine my skills.

However, what is the best way to muffle congas, while still getting the feel of the heads?

Thanks so much,

Neurotic 2U
    Neurotic, I just throw a towel or a tshirt over the heads, you can still get some great practice out of it to work on your chops, but the sound is almost completely muted. I play late at night in my room quite a bit and it never wakes up my roommates.

User Info Menu

Neurotic, I have made garment leather "hats" for my drums as mutes. it feels the most natural--skin on skin--and still allows for tone development. So if you are handy with leather it is an option, although the towel suggestion is the easiest.

User Info Menu

Terrific ideas! I expected something like a pillow in the conga's body.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Looking to Start Out the Right Way

Thanks, Neurotic2U
    Hey, N2U! Welcome to DrumChat, and welcome to "the great world of Latin hand-drumming!" I started studying percussion in my early 30s (after wanting to do it for years!) and I'm still playin' and lovin' hand drums over 25 years later....

Here's my take on each of your questions in order of appearance:

My first congas was a pair of black fiberglass CPs which I purchased in 1987. The quinto is right on the fringe of requinto size at 9 3/4", and the conga is 10 1/2". They were the ones on which I "trained," and I still use 'em for jammin' with my buddies and on outdoor gigs where haulin' my other congas would be inconvenient. They have a few battle scars but still sound darn good! (You'll see me playing them--standing!--on the DrumChat front page; scroll down a little from the top, on the extreme right side.)

The LP "Patato" models have a wide bottom also, and they're designed specifically for playing seated. I play seated, as do many of our brother skin-slappers. Some of us lift the conga up slightly by holding it with our knees or ankles; some use basket stands which can be adjusted as needed to fit both the drum and you. There's another way to do it which I'll mention below.

The "performance" set I use consists of 10" and 10 3/4" red-finished wood CP congas and an 11 1/2" Remo Pancho Sanchez conga (which, too has a larger bottom opening than the CPs). I use little rubber feet (two sets of four, from LP) with the CPs. I normally don't use feet with the Remo because it has a deep bottom end sound that withstands flat-on-the-floor playing. Also, the Remo without feet stands as tall as my CPs with feet, which makes it easier for me to go from one conga to the other.

Most of our buddies have already given great tips about what to look for and what to look out for. If you can, man, look at and play the congas you're thinking about buying before layin' down any money.

Not only will you hear how they will sound, you'll also develop your "ear" for percussion.

Good luck, N2U!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

To all -- good advice. I'm making trips to the music stores to listen to the different brand drums -- and just feeling the strength of the metal work and the tuch of the skins. I was surprised to see that my no-name fiberglass drums have metal work that was heavier than more popular brand drums.

User Info Menu

From small to large 1] requinto 91/2 in 2] quinto about 10 in to 10 1/2 diameter 3 conga about 11 to 11 1/2 in 4]Tumba about 12 in to 12 3/4 inches 5 [ the super tumba about 14 in across. For starters a Quinto and tumba make a nice pair in my opinion;add others when you wish. Not many have the super tumba and its a bit taller than the others. The first four are generally 30 in high.{without stands} Stands ,the good ones are expensive;but they start at around $45 for a simple basket stand.The $45 basket stand will not fit every drum.