Thread: Might have Gotten the Opportunity of a Lifetime

User Info Menu

Default Might have Gotten the Opportunity of a Lifetime

Ok, so the drum guy I am working with all the time has said that he is going to get into custom drums. I have heard a couple of them and they sound phenomenal.

My uncle owns a logging company in KY.

I am going to try and set up my uncle and this guy so the two of them can work out a supply deal on logs to make solid shells.

At the very least, my drum guy said he would be willing to make me a natural set out of whatever wood I get him for price of hardware just for the experience he would get making a solid shell from a tree stump.

That being said, here is my question. If I can afford to buy the log, (yes he is my uncle but this is his lively hood and I dont want to be a burden, discounted yes, but not free) and get it shipped up here for a reasonable amount, what type of wood would all of you go with.

I am thinking something a little out of the ordinary, as everyone has maple or birch, maybe walnut? hickory? HELP, i cant decide what to do. and how much of it I would need. Im thinking 2.5' wide by 8' long should do it for a bop kit with snare and a little extra for an additional floor tom if there is enough wood around. Would everyone agree with those measurements.
    My Gear

PDP FS Fusion
    Pearl Eliminator Double Pedal
    DW Drop Clutch
    Ludwig and Pearl Cymbal Stands
    8" Zildjan A Custom Splash
    8" Sabian Splash
    14" Dream Bliss Hats
    18" Dream Bliss Crash/Ride
    18" Dream Vintage Bliss Crash/Ride
    18" Paiste China
    20" Zildjan ZXT Titanium Ride

User Info Menu

Default Re: Might have Gotten the Opportunity of a Lifetime

I vote walnut!
    Matt

User Info Menu

bgibson, I'm guessing that the price of the different woods may be more of a deciding factor than our opinions, so my thought would be to see exactly what wood might be available, find out how much each option would cost, and then talk to the drum guy about his thoughts on the sound of each wood, given the sound that you like from your drums. Just a though, and congrats on such an amazing opportunity!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

that is one of the options I was thinking in my head, so many options, I dont know what to do.

O well, once I pick, there is a 1 year curing time I will have to wait to get it ready to be made into a drum, so Its not happening any time soon.
    My Gear

PDP FS Fusion
    DW Drop Clutch
    8" Sabian Splash
    14" Dream Bliss Hats
    18" Paiste China

User Info Menu

1 year curing time gives you time to save for the hardware! Sounds like the deal of a lifetime... hope it works out for you.

User Info Menu

Its hard to say what wood to choose as I personally would have no idea of the tonal qualities of walnut or hickory so I have no idea what the kit would eventually sound like, it is a great opportunity though man, a real chance to be creative and get an amazing instrument at the end...enjoy.
    Mike.

"If men are from Mars, and Women are from venus then drummers... are from Pluto!" - Hughie (as played by the amazing Billy Connolly) taken from the film 'Still Crazy'.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering" - Brandon Lee

http://www.jerzeystreetband.com
    http://www.myspace.com/jerzeystband
    http://www.facebook.com/jerzeystreetband

User Info Menu

bgibson, in the meantime, you might want to look at the grain pattern of each wood. Since it will be a solid shell, if it comes down to a toss up between two woods, the grain pattern might help you make the final decision. Best of luck!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

don't forget to take into consideration the difficulty of working with the wood. Some woods may crack easier when making the shells, some may have a different density and be harder to cut.

But man, this sounds like an awesome opportunity! It will be like having a child...lol. You'll watch your baby grow into a drumset...everyday. Take many pictures and even do a time lapse video if possible. that would be incredible to see how this all happens.
    Last edited by Kaliguitar; 09-21-2010 at 01:42 PM.

User Info Menu

Yeah, im excited, but there is going to be alot of steps, and potentially a lot of things that will stop this project. But I hope not, hopefully it all falls into place.

My uncle actually said I can have anything they would have available, yes I said HAVE. Just got off the phone with him, and I am actually thinking about a mix and match kit. Mixing different drums. We shall see, and I will have to find out what I can get for sure, aka, what he has down there.

Best of luck to me, cause this is definitely going to be a journey.
    My Gear

PDP FS Fusion
    DW Drop Clutch
    8" Sabian Splash
    14" Dream Bliss Hats
    18" Paiste China

User Info Menu

Subbing to this thread...good luck!

User Info Menu

Well thank you, no one expect any quick decisions or action to be made, I want to maul everything over to make the best possible choices, but I assure you I will keep everyone updated.

Thanks For The Interest
    My Gear

PDP FS Fusion
    DW Drop Clutch
    8" Sabian Splash
    14" Dream Bliss Hats
    18" Paiste China

User Info Menu

Remember that wood needs to be properly dried before you work it. If you try to work green wood (recently felled trees) it has a tendency to crack as it dries. It would be a shame to have a beautifully built solid shell drum kit crack all to heck as it ages. Perhaps you can get a lumber company somewhere to kiln dry it for you before construction begens. You all probably have thought of all of all of this but I thought I would bring it up in case you haven't.

User Info Menu

Definitely appreciate it, the wood I will be picking from is in a drying shed and is slated to be taken out in the spring, and that will be if and only if there is the right size/type of wood not spoken for at that time. If it is all spoken for, it goes til next fall when I put an order in and I get mine spoken for the next season.

Definitely, soooo much to think about on this one, just 1 step at a time, what I keep telling myself.

l8r
    My Gear

PDP FS Fusion
    DW Drop Clutch
    8" Sabian Splash
    14" Dream Bliss Hats
    18" Paiste China

User Info Menu

Whatever you decide bgibons will work. A year to wait is kind of long I would die if I had to wait to get my custom kit. Just kidding and good luck. We will hear from you in a year on what is going on and what you have chosen for size and finish.

User Info Menu

BGibson, I would caution on solid shells of the normal sizes that we use! there is a reason drums are made of plys!! with the exception of some hand drums, but even those glue up sections to form the perverbial circle. And even if the sound you heard was encouraging..I worry about longevity! just my job as an old dude to give you that point of view.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride