Thread: snare drum sensitivity

User Info Menu

Default snare drum sensitivity

I've had a Pearl 'Superhoop' chrome snare drum for over 20 years and it's always sounded great. I want to buy a Gretsch snare drum to go with my Gretsch kit. My question is, if I want a drum that is really sensitive i.e. when I play grace notes (short roll before the main strike) I want it to be heard clearly and at volume.. is this more to do with the tuning of the heads/type of heads or type of drum? I understand it may be a mix of the above AND how I play, but I have played other people's snares over the years and every now and then I come accross a drum that delivers a really loud, crisp grace note that makes me sound and play better! What's the secret? HIT ME!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: snare drum sensitivity

Welcome to Drum Chat andrewkeil!

Since you are already using a metal snare (unless it's a chrome over wood hybrid), I assume that you are looking for another metal snare made by Gretsch. If it's not a metal snare you are looking for, then to get what you want you would probably be looking for something with a birch shell, a shorter depth, and a head with no dampening. You might also want the snare to be mic'ed to make sure the ghost notes are heard clearly. Just some preliminary thoughts to get the ball rolling.

Again, welcome!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

And as usual everything PB says is right on track. Only other answer might be something in Oak, but I would be running something with a ambassador/diplomat to get the sensitivity you are looking for.

Let us Know what you end up with
    My Gear

PDP FS Fusion
    Pearl Eliminator Double Pedal
    DW Drop Clutch
    Ludwig and Pearl Cymbal Stands
    8" Zildjan A Custom Splash
    8" Sabian Splash
    14" Dream Bliss Hats
    18" Dream Bliss Crash/Ride
    18" Dream Vintage Bliss Crash/Ride
    18" Paiste China
    20" Zildjan ZXT Titanium Ride

User Info Menu

check out DW's vented snare it has adjustable vents

User Info Menu

If you are happy with your Pearl Superhoop for over 20 years then why change. I know cause you want a Gresch snare to match your kit. So next time you hear the sound that you like then look into what brand and shell material it is and get it.

User Info Menu

Thanks to everyone who answered, I just got in and read them, trouble is.. while I was out I saw a Gretsch Rosewood 14" x 6.5" snare with a square badge.. a perfect match for my kit!
    It's now mine. I've been tuning and messing with it but won't hear it with the kit till tomorrow evening. Will let you know the result.
    Any guesses on who (if anyone) will notice my new acquisition? Lead Guit. Rhythmn Guit. Bass Guit. or female lead singer?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by andrewkeil46 View Post
    Thanks to everyone who answered, I just got in and read them, trouble is.. while I was out I saw a Gretsch Rosewood 14" x 6.5" snare with a square badge.. a perfect match for my kit!
    It's now mine. I've been tuning and messing with it but won't hear it with the kit till tomorrow evening. Will let you know the result.
    Any guesses on who (if anyone) will notice my new acquisition? Lead Guit. Rhythmn Guit. Bass Guit. or female lead singer?

Well, if no one see's you coming in with it, I venture to bet that none of them will notice it. Guitar players and singers are for the most part..."Drum Dumb"~
    Hey, I just came up with a new phrase ~ LOL~
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Congtrats on the snare- i side with warren on that who'll notice thing....

User Info Menu

Congrats on the new snare Andrew, and I am betting on the bass player or the rhythm guy, if any.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I am guessing none even if they saw you bring it in drummers are the smartest of the band you know this right?

User Info Menu

just a tip I learned here at DC, and I swear it works Every Time. Make sure that both sides correspond with each other. meaning, when you retune it, make one lug on one side the same as the other. And make them as tight as possible. Then, put a moongel on the snare. I did this with the worst sounding snare I've ever come across, and it now sounds like you could march with it with the Cavaliers.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

dave0549jv Guest

i'd say if anyone notices, i'd guess the bassist. congrats on the new toy!

User Info Menu

dont get your hopes up, the only way my band would notice is if they see you set up a new snare. I have played with a guitarist that when during a 5 song set 3 of my lugs completely backed off, (playing snare REALLY lose) and he didnt notice it going out of tune, and couldnt tell the difference after I had it tuned but up.

Just the way it works, drums sound like drums sound like drums" except to drummers.
    My Gear

PDP FS Fusion
    Pearl Eliminator Double Pedal
    DW Drop Clutch
    Ludwig and Pearl Cymbal Stands
    8" Zildjan A Custom Splash
    8" Sabian Splash
    14" Dream Bliss Hats
    18" Dream Bliss Crash/Ride
    18" Dream Vintage Bliss Crash/Ride
    18" Paiste China
    20" Zildjan ZXT Titanium Ride