Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginner here

User Info Menu

Default Beginner here

I have been trying to do double stroke rolls and so far, my left hand seems almost too slow, and when I try to go faster, I just go off beat. Can you guys recommend any exercises or books to get to improve my left hand and my double stroke rolls.

P.S
    So far I don't have a drum teacher, therefore I have been just learning off of sites.
    Can you guys recommend what I should concentrate on first because I am kinda all over the place right now ,learning Drum beats, rudiments and fills.

Thanks !

User Info Menu

Default Re: Beginner here

Quote Originally Posted by nonamedude View Post
    I have been trying to do double stroke rolls and so far, my left hand seems almost too slow, and when I try to go faster, I just go off beat. Can you guys recommend any exercises or books to get to improve my left hand and my double stroke rolls.
    You don't really need the book. You just need to just keep working it. Put the time in and be patient. The results will come, I promise.

P.S
    Can you guys recommend what I should concentrate on first because I am kinda all over the place right now ,learning Drum beats, rudiments and fills.
    That's the perfect group to start with. It sounds like you're going about it just fine. Trust your instincts. It's also a good idea to supplement your learning with a professional teacher (at least for awhile). They can keep you track and keep you from acquiring any bad habits in the beginning.

User Info Menu

I cant add too much more than drummer already did, he hit the nail on the head........practice and patience are the key words.

Nothing comes easy with out practice, if you can get a teacher even just for a couple months in the beginning it will make a huge difference for you.

Best of luck and welcome to the board.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Ty for the info guys,
    Can you guys give an order in which I should learn the rudiments because right now I know the
    Single stroke roll
    Four stroke roll
    Single Para diddle
    Flam (Learning it now)

User Info Menu

And also,

What are the goals you have to meet when learning a rudiment?
    Playing in at a certain speed?Playing it in a drum fill?

User Info Menu

Welcome aboard nonamedude. Look at the top of your page in the dark gray line. There you will see a drum links link. Click on that and you will see drumrudements.com. There they are all in a row and in the correct order, all 40 of them. Go with the first one until you can do it without mistakes. Get up to a fair amount of speed before going to the next one. Don't worry about going really fast now, that will come in due time. Just keep it up and practice, practice, practice. And then when you are done practicing, practice some more. Mix in some songs to play along with also. So you can learn to keep in time to the song. With the wealth of info on the net, buying the services of a teacher isn't a dire priority IMO. Remember, if drumming was easy, everyone would be a drummer. You will learn something new every day no matter how long that you have been playing. So just keep in mind that the whole journey is a learning experience. Gook luck!
    Last edited by wolvie56; 09-22-2010 at 06:50 PM.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice :D

User Info Menu

No prob. Good luck. Its really fun and gratifying when you are able to play along with a song note for note as well as improvising and making it sound cool also.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

nonamedude,
    Believe it or not rudiments and speed come with muscle training and muscle memory.
    You'll have mastered a rudiment when you can do it effortlessly and without thinking about it. You'll have really mastered multiple rudiments when you can put them together seamlessly/automatically without thinking.
    I always found it more rewarding eventually combining rudiments, ie., going from single stroke rolls to doubles and back, single to double paradiddles to single stroke rolls to doubles and back, etc. at the most comfortable speed. Oh, yeah, begin some of the rudiments with the left hand, a lot.
    In no time you'll see a big change if you practice every day for an hour or so.
    Good Luck and check out the free videos mentioned here.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I practice whenever i can, Ill start my rudiments with my left from now on
    Thanks a lot guys

User Info Menu

I practice whenever i can, Ill start my rudiments with my left from now on
    Thanks a lot guys
    I forgot to welcome you to Drum Chat. Welcome aboard friend. Kick off your shoes and stay awhile!

User Info Menu

+1 to Drummers input. I wish I had a teacher from the beginning because now I'm faced with alot of my own techniques that seem to "fall in place" as I'm trying to learn new things.
    I feel like alot of my playing is reliant now on single stroke variations and triplets, mostly because of my hand technique I'm sure. So no matter how cool I can make some beats and fills sound, I'm still at a plateau as far as learning waaaay more interesting techniques.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Everyone has given very good advice, so I will just add welcome to the forum!
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Seems like finding a teacher is very important,

Ill try and find one and learn the foundation from him/her. Just don't want to spend too much, since drum teachers are not cheap.

User Info Menu

Hello fellow newbie!

Just to add to what slinglander said, it's all about training your muscles and while I'm fairly new to drumming I've previously learnt similar things (e.g. juggling and martial arts) which progress the same way.

Most of the interesting things you'll want to do on the drums happen too fast for your brain to actively control the muscles. You have to train the muscles to follow a 'program', so instead of saying 'hit drum, lift, hit drum, lift', your brain just triggers a fill and moves it's attention somewhere else while your muscles get on with actually doing it by themselves. This is muscle memory and only comes with lots and lots of repetition.

It's a similar process to learning to drive or ride a bike. At first you crawl along because you're thinking about all the controls, how you have to make your limbs move to use them and it's all too much to keep up with. But once you've done a bit of practise, you stop thinking about the controls and start thinking about where you want to go while your body does the detail for you. That is what you are striving for.

The other aspect of course is just muscle strength, both in terms of the speed of your twitch muscles and general stamina. Sadly, as with any exercise to build muscle, there are no shortcuts. What you need to do is practice regularly so the muscles are challenged but not overworked, then a period of rest before repeating. Try to exercise the muscles at least three times a week and providing what you are doing is challenging you'll find there has been significant improvement within a month. Of course you can do general fitness exercises to help with this, but personally I find hitting the drums more fun than weights

The best part of all this is that once you stick it out for a few weeks, you'll be able to feel and hear the difference in your playing, which I find to be hugely motivating and a little bit addictive. Because if you can overcome that first hurdle you know that by just repeating the process you can overcome any hurdle and become as good a drummer as you want to be!

The only other thing I would add is that I think pretty much anyone here will tell you that locking into the beat and staying there is infinitely more important than being fast. A good steady drummer will always be able to find a band, but someone who can go a zillion miles an hour but can't stay in time isn't going to be popular. So when practicing stick to a pace you can keep too with only a small effort, as that is where you'll train both your muscles and learn to keep time. Speed will come later when your muscles are ready for it.

Personally I have a standard routine I go through of rudiments and basic exercises which my teacher gave me (but are fairly universal). I try very hard to keep to the discipline of always running through that routine every time I sit down at the kit, before I indulge myself by playing along to my favorite AC/DC track. It can be a little bit dull (especially the rudiments), but it's essential exercise so I force myself to go through it each time I go to the kit. I can really feel the benefit from it as well, and my proper playing has noticably improved from doing the exercises.

However, do also make sure you play some tunes once you've gone through the routine. Don't forget, all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy

Hope this helps!
    You know the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
    they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.

User Info Menu

Take it or not

I known many will dismiss my technique for double or even triple stroke improvement but I'll say it anyway just because some professional drummers recommend it (Dennis Chambers) and it helped me getting faster and precise double stroke.

Take a metronome, set to slower BPM and practice with your sticks on a pillow using only your fingers (good for single - double - triple and so on strokes). It force you also to find the real balance point for your grip. When you have master it at slow speed, begin to increase tempo & repeat.

Get back to your kit and practice with real head feel & rebound. Dont worry if you have hard time at first because of the rebound but continue and try to catch up, you will realise that you gain speed while also getting clean even strokes.

Good Luck
    Last edited by mind_drummer; 09-24-2010 at 07:43 AM.
    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    TAMA - AQUARIAN - DW PEDALS - SABIAN - ISTANBUL MEHMET - ZILDJIAN - PAISTE - VATER

Member: Aquarian Preacher Nation & AAXplosion army...

AND I CONFESS I'M A DRUMGEAR-A-HOLIC

User Info Menu

Practice, Practice, Practice that is the only advise I got for you nonamedude it will come eventualy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mind_drummer View Post
    Take it or not

I known many will dismiss my technique for double or even triple stroke improvement but I'll say it anyway just because some professional drummers recommend it (Dennis Chambers) and it helped me getting faster and precise double stroke.

Take a metronome, set to slower BPM and practice with your sticks on a pillow using only your fingers (good for single - double - triple and so on strokes). It force you also to find the real balance point for your grip. When you have master it at slow speed, begin to increase tempo & repeat.

Get back to your kit and practice with real head feel & rebound. Dont worry if you have hard time at first because of the rebound but continue and try to catch up, you will realise that you gain speed while also getting clean even strokes.

Good Luck
    My tutor has recommended practising rudiments with a muffling pad, as it reduces the bounce and makes you work harder. So when you switch to a proper head with proper bounce it's easier.
    You know the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
    they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.

User Info Menu

Seems like finding a teacher is very important,

Ill try and find one and learn the foundation from him/her. Just don't want to spend too much, since drum teachers are not cheap.

A teacher will help kep you from learning any bad habits which will haunt you later on down the road.

You dont need to see a teacher every week if you are on a tight budget. You can go every other week or once a month.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

To enhance my knowledge I was thinking about ordering 4 way coordination, because it seems like this is an essential book. And thanks for the advice, from now on ill practice my rudiments on a pillow :D

User Info Menu

welcome to drum chat... One thing is make sure to not only practice rudiments on a pillow, but on the drum too afterward. The pillow will take away the rebound feel for the drum making it easier when you go on the drum, but you still need to practice on the drum too so that you will be familiar to the feel of the drum rather than the pillow. Otherwise, your stick control or something might not be as good as you want. When practicing rudiments, go at a slow enough tempo that allows you to keep good control, and then slowly speed up when you are ready. But it all means a lot less if you have bad control.
    ~Pearl, Zildjian, Hammerax, Remo, Vic Firth, LP, Pulse~

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Welcome to DC, enjoy your stay at the Internet Hotel. We have free Wi-Fi!

I just started drum lessons last week, and i just learnedthe double stroke last week. When you're going RR LL, try and get a bounce off your stick. You know how a basketball bounces after you dribble it once and let it go? that's how it should be done. Don't get tense and play relaxed.
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

^^ Nice. I guess I have to practice to get the hang of it

User Info Menu

Now you got the hang of the idea, and next you will have to learn patience, cause it can get REALLY frustrating doing the same thing for 3 hours and not feel any better at it when you are done, vbut it is worth it, trust me.
    My Gear

PDP FS Fusion
    Pearl Eliminator Double Pedal
    DW Drop Clutch
    Ludwig and Pearl Cymbal Stands
    8" Zildjan A Custom Splash
    8" Sabian Splash
    14" Dream Bliss Hats
    18" Dream Bliss Crash/Ride
    18" Dream Vintage Bliss Crash/Ride
    18" Paiste China
    20" Zildjan ZXT Titanium Ride

User Info Menu

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I think the question is sufficiently related to the OP's original question.

Oftentimes, you hear people saying how their double stroke rolls are faster than their single stroke rolls, arising from the fact that double stroke rolls essentially give 2 hits for each action of the wrist of a single stroke.

Now, is it just me, or do should all beginners not see this happening for some time? As of now, my double stroke speed is about half of that of my single stroke rolls...will this just come in time?