Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spraypaint Cymbals?

User Info Menu

Default Spraypaint Cymbals?

I was thinking the other night how cool it would be to have graffiti cymbals! lol
    Would it be wise to use spraypaint on my cymbals/hats/hardware?

www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

I do graffiti

User Info Menu

Me too, last time I did I was fined and sentenced though lol.

User Info Menu

Well I do graffiti on paper and clothing, not buildings, cars, etc. LOL

User Info Menu

would look wicked. specially if ya can get some glow type of paint.

not sure how it would go sticking to the cymbal though. would it stick?

some nice air brushing would look good.

User Info Menu

Yep, airbrush would look really nice and the paint is thinner........

User Info Menu

If you layed the paint on thick enough for it to look good it would affect the cymbal's sound. Also it would just start wearing off once you bust through the clearcoat over it.

If you've got some crappy old stuff to test it on, it would be cool to see the results. Don't do it on anything worth over $50
    i must be the only hip hop fan here

User Info Menu

I don't advise you to paint cymbals.... there's a reason why they are not painted in the first place. Paint will affect the tonal quality/sustain of your cymbals. Yeah it would look cool.. but it would be a cold day in he** before I would paint my 2002's
    PLEASE PLAY RESPONSIBLY.... DON'T DRINK AND DRUM!!

My Kit: Vintage Ludwig Classic Maple 26 kick 14, 16, 18 toms, Paiste 2002 Cymbals, Paiste Giant Beat 15" Hats

User Info Menu

Cool Spraypaint Cymbals?

Quote Originally Posted by sethhover
    If you layed the paint on thick enough for it to look good it would affect the cymbal's sound. Also it would just start wearing off once you bust through the clearcoat over it.

If you've got some crappy old stuff to test it on, it would be cool to see the results. Don't do it on anything worth over $50
    What clearcoat, man? First time you start layin' down a beat, the paint would come flyin' off...unless you have a professional do the job, it'd be a waste of time and money...

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Well, yeah. But if you're going to spray paint anything you might as well clear coat it as part of the process. I've painted bikes and computer cases before and there's no point to finishing without it.

But yeah, it would be a waste.

User Info Menu

I have to agree with Musicnut.....applying ANY kind of foreign substance to a cymbal will clog the tonal grooves and "choke" the cymbal. I wouldn't advise it.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

In that, case I am not going to paint my cymbals.
    Thanks for the advise lol

User Info Menu

paiste will paint any cymbal if you got the cash. the rudes on joey jordisons set are all white with the slipknot s logo painted on it. does anyone remeber the colorsound series in the 80s? they came in many models including 2002s. i had the black 400s. i dont know the painting process, but im sure its better than spray paint.

User Info Menu

I just thought of it because I saw Bozzio's black chinas on his set.

User Info Menu

They wont release it, but im sure it involved coloring the cymbal first THEN putting in the grooves or something

User Info Menu

Yes, they added the color into the alloy while still at the foundry, before baking and machining.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

What about stickers though? Given the proper dedication you could apply some custom stickers to the cymbols, just make sure to get it in the grooves - theoretically it would be better than paint.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

No, it would still affect the sound. The adhesive would play the same role as paint in dampening it.

User Info Menu

in other words stickers wouuld be a good alternate to the whole Duct tape to the bottom of the cymbal trick....
    but stickers dont stay on the top of the cymbal....couple of hits with a stic and off they come....

but a thin layer of Glow in the dark paint on the edge of the cymbal would look so sweet @ night
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

Cool Spraypaint Cymbals?

Quote Originally Posted by Chiko
    ...but a thin layer of Glow in the dark paint on the edge of the cymbal would look so sweet @ night
    ...makes 'em easier to play in power failures, too!

Missed seein' ya 'round, Chiko! Welcome back, bro'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain
    paiste will paint any cymbal if you got the cash. the rudes on joey jordisons set are all white with the slipknot s logo painted on it. does anyone remeber the colorsound series in the 80s? they came in many models including 2002s. i had the black 400s. i dont know the painting process, but im sure its better than spray paint.

Paiste will only colour them black for a 30% surcharge and you'll be waiting 4 - 6 weeks to get them from sweden. Mind you, that's not bad.

As jor JJ - he is sponsored so they will do whatever he wants them to, basically. It's like Kieth Moon (far from what of my fav's personally)with the fish drumset. No normal person is allowed to have that sort of thing, but they'll make it for someone famous.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro
    ...makes 'em easier to play in power failures, too!

Missed seein' ya 'round, Chiko! Welcome back, bro'!
    good to be back....
    and thats what i love about drums...no power cables!!! hehe
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger
    Paiste will only colour them black for a 30% surcharge and you'll be waiting 4 - 6 weeks to get them from sweden. Mind you, that's not bad.

As jor JJ - he is sponsored so they will do whatever he wants them to, basically. It's like Kieth Moon (far from what of my fav's personally)with the fish drumset. No normal person is allowed to have that sort of thing, but they'll make it for someone famous.
    black only? guess i heard wrong. thouht they did white and red still.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallG
    I have to agree with Musicnut.....applying ANY kind of foreign substance to a cymbal will clog the tonal grooves and "choke" the cymbal. I wouldn't advise it.
    If you wanna ruin your cymbal, can I have it before you do?

User Info Menu

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain
    black only? guess i heard wrong. thouht they did white and red still.
    It's on the FAQ section on their website. Same as how to pronounce Paiste - all these years I was saying it wrong and had no idea.