Thread: type of drum shell

User Info Menu

Default type of drum shell

wood or what, or what type of wood.

User Info Menu

Good question, I would like to hear the various answers myself, I have always been a whatever sounds good kind of guy. I need to be schooled in this myself.
    Romans 8:28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.

User Info Menu

same here....i've never known the diff in the types of woods...i know that 7ply is better then 5 ply....but...that's about it

User Info Menu

I know that the kind of wood thats on the inside layer of the drum is more important than that in the middle or outside. As far as laquer or wraped, its such a small difference in sound that unless you are recording for a million dollar band it doesn't matter. The laquer or stained finishes look awesome but are more easily scratched and such. The clear plexi style kits Ive heard are very nice and mostly a custom order. They are very expensive too. Remember Alex VanHalen's kit in the 80's. Maple is warmer than Birch and tends to be louder. Both sound great depending on the style of music you play. Basswood is the least expensive to make and seams to always have a wrap on them. I do know that you can take a cheap drum and with the right heads and decent lugs and hoops, they will rock.
    Rock Till Ya Drop

User Info Menu

I do know that you can take a cheap drum and with the right heads and decent lugs and hoops, they will rock.
    I knew the heads could make drums sound better, but the Lugs and hoops can also have an effect?

User Info Menu

Yes, it depends on what the thickness is of the hoops. A good standard triple flange hoop is 2.3mm thick. Cast hoops are the best but run around 50.00 a piece.
    Cast hoops do not flex much at all, thus having a better fit to the drum. This gives equal tension all the way around.
    The lugs can help with staying in tune too. The more threads per inch the better tuning will be and stay. For example, PDP drums say they have
    (true-pitch tuning). This is simply lugs with more threads per inch than the standard. And I will admit it does really help. I own PDP's
    I have been considering putting the cast hoops on my snare drum along with some pro quality snare wires- Like, ProSound or Grover brand. Snare wires alone will change your snare sound big time.
    Rock Till Ya Drop

User Info Menu

Intresting

User Info Menu

Default type of shell

I realize you're discussing set drums here, but I've played both wood and fiberglass bongos and congas and I like the "warmth" of wood shells. Fiberglass is lighter, but there's nothing like the sound of a well-tuned wooden shell.

Most wooden conga shells are Siam oak, but the maple sets sound awesome, too...

User Info Menu

I love the warmth of wood!! I played a plexiglass kit and it just did'nt sound right.

Also, for hand drums, wood is the only way to go because fiberglass is totally dull and lifeless.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

i think it would be cool to play a prexiglass set being able to see through it and all but thats just my opinion, especially if you have lights shining on it
    |M|o|u|n|t|a|i|n| |D|e|w| My Anti-Drug

User Info Menu

Default Re: type of drum shell

what about carbon fiber bullet proof, and tuneability is endless... jmo

User Info Menu

I'd love a carbon fiber or aluminum kit... mostly because those are two of my favorite things in the world, and because the cf is super thin.

I really don't care what the shell is made of. I just want it to look good, hold its shape and be as thin as possible.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Nothing quite beats the tonal characteristics of a wood shell. Maple for a well rounded tone, Birch for a brighter attack and less sustain than Maple and Beech for the in between. Then there are the 3-ply shells of Maple/Poplar/Maple and Maple/Mahogany/Maple with Maple reinforcement rings. These are an excellent all purpose drum shell. When going with a single wood product, such as maple, the thickness of the plies will then determine the tonal characteristic. Thicker ply will focus the tone and reduce its overtones or resonance whereas thinner shells allow for more resonance and projection. There is a drum for every purpose and, all to often, I'm afraid, to many of us fail to take into consideration just exactly what it is we are needing.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Utopia View Post
    same here....i've never known the diff in the types of woods...i know that 7ply is better then 5 ply....but...that's about it
    Not always.

ThePloughman Guest

1964 Rogers three ply maple shells, Coated Ambassador on the tom batters, clear ambassadors on the resos, Bass drum with Evans Eq4, Solid Fiberskyn3 Reso, Double Logo. Played wide open, tuning ..... about 70 on the batters and resos.

Lovely sounding drums.

Lots of plies, really thick shells...... arent necessarily better.

User Info Menu

Default Re: type of shell

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    I realize you're discussing set drums here, but I've played both wood and fiberglass bongos and congas and I like the "warmth" of wood shells. Fiberglass is lighter, but there's nothing like the sound of a well-tuned wooden shell.

Most wooden conga shells are Siam oak, but the maple sets sound awesome, too...
    I'd love to play and hear close up the drums that the guy in the Killers has...the brand name starts with a "C" but I forget it. They are crafted out of solid wood -- not a ply shell.

I have a Djembe and if those "C" drums capture that rich, warm, bass-in-the-pit-of-your-stomach feel then I'd be in love. But it would be unrequited love because I don't have that kind of cash.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    1964 Rogers three ply maple shells, Coated Ambassador on the tom batters, clear ambassadors on the resos, Bass drum with Evans Eq4, Solid Fiberskyn3 Reso, Double Logo. Played wide open, tuning ..... about 70 on the batters and resos.

Lovely sounding drums.

Lots of plies, really thick shells...... arent necessarily better.
    How many plies, and what type of wood is the Rogers Powertone snare?
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

ThePloughman Guest

My 1963 Powertone is a three ply, keller maple with reinforcing rings, original edges.
    My 1966 Powertone is a five ply, keller maple with reinforcing rings, also original edges.

Both are great sounding drums. Eight Lug, warm sound, great articulation.

My later 1983 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5x14 snare drums are Ten Ply Keller Maple, no reinforcing rings.

User Info Menu

Wood shells all the way....my two cents.....I am a big fan of maple drums....though I also like birch as well....the exception to that being....I love brass snare drums.....
    ...I am not seeing things as they are....I am seeing things as I am....