Thread: Drum Therapy

User Info Menu

Default Drum Therapy

Hello,
    I have been serching online for workshops or conferences offering drum therapy/music therapy training. I'm a counselor working with teens and would like to begin mixing in some percussion activities for my groups. I will be attending the American Music Therapy Association conference in Cleveland this year specifically for the special education workshops and one in percussion techniques for the music therapist. Otherwise I've had difficulty finding anything other than that offered specifically for drums. I'm in upstate NY but don't mind a good 10 hour drive or so. If anyone hears of anything or knows of anything please keep me in mind.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Therapy

I'll have to admit that, when I first saw the title, I thought this post was going to be offering
    professional services to those who seem to have a chronic case of Gear Acquisition Syndrome

Can't help ya, sorry... but hey, the response bumps your post, at least
    2003 Mapex Limited Edition Artist Select
    8,10,12,14 and 16 toms in natural finish
    22x18 kick - 13" Black Panther snare
    Mostly Sabian and Meinl cymbals, with 22" Zildjian Amir ride

User Info Menu

Smile Re: Drum Therapy

Welcome aboard catskillclimber!

At the risk of sounding too obvious, have you tried googling "drum therapy"? I know there are some groups, particularly on the west coast, who have done some work in this area...

Best of luck to you--it sounds like you're wanting to share something you like with others who could benefit from your expertise!

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Catskillclimber. Google "artdrum". They sell drums, but Greg, who operates the business is also into drumtherapy and education. He is a very nice and helpful guy, and if you mail him, I am sure he can give you lots of good info.
    Then we have Tony Redhouse, an indian located in Arizona. He plays congas, several native instruments, and have made some very interesting CDs. He does music therapy in the native tradition, and you should find much useful stuff on his homepage. He has some fantastic things on Youtube.
    There is a discussion group on drum therapy in a forum on some kind of african percussion, but I cant remember where. Maybe you will be able to find it. Good luck.
    cat

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info Cat. I'll look up those resources for sure. I appreciate the help.