Thread: percussion

User Info Menu

Default percussion

I'v never touched a pair of congas accept a few times at my church, which was pretty freaking fun. So i was thinkin, that be really sweet to have one of those babies beside my drum set later on. I'm really wondering, is 'percussion' the same as on a drum kit, I think all the rudiments are the same, and with percussion you have the same beat throughout the whole song? not sure though.. some of you hand drummers out there fill me in!

User Info Menu

Percussion can be anything! Feel free when you play! Free as a bird! And i if you manage that the rest WILL come.

User Info Menu

I agree with vinny. Also, mounting percussion pieces onto your set can sound radical.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Cool percussion

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin
    I'v never touched a pair of congas accept a few times at my church, which was pretty freaking fun. So i was thinkin, that be really sweet to have one of those babies beside my drum set later on. I'm really wondering, is 'percussion' the same as on a drum kit, I think all the rudiments are the same, and with percussion you have the same beat throughout the whole song? not sure though.. some of you hand drummers out there fill me in!
    First, "percussion" applies to any instrument that you hit, shake or strike to create a sound. Technically, a piano is a percussion instrument since you hit keys to strike strings with hammers.

In this context, "hand" is the operative word, since bongos, congas, djembes, etc., are played with hands. The rudiments are identical...

Hand drums can be used to (to coin a phrase) keep the beat goin', as they are when I play my congas and bongos with my guitar group buddies...but most hand percussionists use them for special effects (as when you hear a bongo man play'n in a break or a fill during a tune).

Sometimes a bongo or conga rhythm starts a tune (think of "Every Day is a Winding Road" a/k/a the Subaru TV commercial, or Steely Dan's "Do It Again").

Play'n hand percussion is freakin' fun, man...and it really does
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Cool, i check out those sites thanks BB and eveyone else

User Info Menu

songs* hehe

User Info Menu

Cool percussion

...and, in light of your current predicament, Lafirin, you can play some serious bongos and/or congas without creating quite the racket of a set!

(see "Emergency SOS" thread in "DRUMMERS Q & A" section for Lafirin's predicament)

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

double bonus? thanks BB!

User Info Menu

Cool percussion

BTW, Lafirin, check out CC's thread askin' 1DB and me about a deal he found on another website...you might get an idea about some bongos and congas of your own...

Charlie

User Info Menu

heck, you can do even better on price if you dont mind going down a just a little in quality. shalloch percussion has a conga, quinto, bongos set with a stand and bonus cajon for 399.

User Info Menu

Cool percussion

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain
    heck, you can do even better on price if you dont mind going down a just a little in quality. shalloch percussion has a conga, quinto, bongos set with a stand and bonus cajon for 399.
    True, funky...especially if you're startin' out...

Charlie