Thread: Help me pick some Bongos

User Info Menu

Default Help me pick some Bongos

Hello,
    I'm ordering a set of cheaper bongos and could use some advice. I imagine since each company is good and the prices are similar there won't be much of a difference but I wanted to ask first just in case. I'm looking at:
    LP Aspire or Caliente
    Meinl Headliner Series
    Pearl Primero Series

Any major advantages or disadvantages among these?
    Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Help me pick some Bongos

As I was just looking on Craigslist I found a set of Schalloch bongos and congas for a great price. Are Shallocks any good?
    Last edited by catskillclimber; 09-27-2010 at 08:02 PM.

User Info Menu

First i will say, dont buy Schalloch. On the other hand, buying used can get you good value for the money. I have got some very good stuff on Ebay. Of the bongos you mentioned, I think Pearl Primero would be the best choice.
    Now there are some REAL experts on bongos on this forum. They should give you some good info.
    cat

User Info Menu

catskillclimber,the best you can get for the least amount of money is a Matador which with the right set of skins will sound and project better than some other more expensive models in the LP catalog. As of yesterday there were at least 2 on ebay. Do not buy the fiberglass Matador because of very thin shells and taste less sound projection.

User Info Menu

Thank you both for the advice. Dude with the Schallock's never called back anyway. I will do a search for some Matador's and see what turns up.

User Info Menu

Catskill, the Matador Custom Bongó is the one I would select. That particular model has steel bottoms instead of the regular aluminun type . They have black hardware to distint them from other Matadors. Color are Latin Blue, Sunburst & another funny style. Browse the web,they are there.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Help me pick some Bongos

As cat suggested earlier, buying used can get you some great bongos for relatively little money. If you have the opportunity to see and play the drums before making up your mind, so much the better.

Good luck!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

There is a nice set of JCR MAHOGANY CUBAN BONGOS on ebay