Thread: What would you do?

User Info Menu

Default What would you do?

So I have a drrum amx fusion kit. 22x20 kick, 8 and 10 mounted tom, 14in floor, and a 14x6 snare. the sheels are a maple/birch hybrid. I bought them used and have had them from about 6 months. No I play metal and well this kit is more made for well not what I play however I love playing it. So while searching the good ol CL last night I came across a guy with a gretsch kit that after talking to Is willing to trade plus throw me $100 for my kit becasue he said its to big and he wants a fusion kit. He said his model is a rock mod? The specs are 24x18 kick, 13x9 mounted and 16x14 floors tom with a 14x6 snare. The shells are mohogany. Only concers-Will going from a 22x20 kick to a 24x18 have the same sound results? Will I notice a big sound difference between the wood?
    Heres my kit

And the ones I might trade for

[img]http://images.craigslist.org/3pa3ob3lc5W45P55X0a9r7bfe98412b4614de.jpg[/img}
    Thanks guys!
    A set of Exports and paiste's
    Add My Band! www.myspace.com/setthesails0

User Info Menu

Default Re: What would you do?

NNN, you will definitely hear a difference in the sound of the bass drums. The kit that he has is the Catalina Club series, so they are made for smaller venues. Although the Catalina Club series drums sound pretty good (but most people get a different snare), the "Mahogany" is actually "Philippine Mahagony," which is not true Mahogany.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Man you're kit is beautiful!

The finish on the DW though is immense.

When I got my first kit I was like "BIGGER IS BETTER" and I got a rock sized kit. I love hard rock and some metal and stuff but after a year I discovered it's ridiculously inconvinient to move and position. They sound great but under microphones at venues the soundguy is gonna make the catalina kit sound the same amount of rockness as the full rock kit. I'm now starting to dislike even 18" crashes! I don't know what's wrong with me haha.

It is completely up to you, I love the big rock kits but personally I wouldn't trade what you have!

User Info Menu

Smaller venues? The shells are bigger than mine (not questioning, just wondering). What difference in bass sounds would you expect?
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

NNN, I have the Catalina Rock configuration with the 24" BD, 13" T, and two FTs (16" and 18"). Its perfect for the genre I play (Rock). I have a standard Sonor set with standard sizes and the difference is night and day. Not that the Sonors sound bad, but its more suited for a mellower genre. So, it all depends on what type of music you're going to be playing.

In answer to your question, yes, the sound is bigger and boomier. Good luck !

User Info Menu

Will I play 15" hi hats, a 19" and a 21" crashs. and a 19" china lol. My toms now usually get get drowned out. My snare is a pork pie lil squeeler and it cuts through nicely. I just want my whole kit heard, plus I love big bass drums.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NomNomNom View Post
    Will I play 15" hi hats, a 19" and a 21" crashs. and a 19" china lol. My toms now usually get get drowned out. My snare is a pork pie lil squeeler and it cuts through nicely. I just want my whole kit heard, plus I love big bass drums.
    The finish is a little funky for my taste, but if you're down with it, ...then this is the drum set for you :-)

User Info Menu

You're cymbals sound too big for your kit, you're right.

It sounds like you want this kit man so there's no reason not to get what you want, if you're happy it's always a good deal.

Plus if you want a boomy bassdrum then the 24" is going to shake John Bonham's coffin. Do it!

User Info Menu

Thanks guys!