Thread: Heads...Again...

User Info Menu

Default Heads...Again...

Hey guys, sorry to bug you about heads again but i'm still having trouble deciding on bass heads.

A bit of dispute about Remo Powersonic vs Powerstroke 3, i now PS3's and have played them and are beautiful, but i hear lots of people badmouthing the Powersonic...any comments??

And Ebony Ambo Reso, maybe with a Kick Port or HOLZ port hole frame?

Get back to be ASAP, getting heads tomorrow, most likely.

Cheers

User Info Menu

Default Re: Heads...Again...

I have only experienced the PS3 so far and love it.

User Info Menu

cheers, got all of my heads today and went for the PS3, i know them and trust them, didnt want to risk it.

User Info Menu

For folks that use a lot of muffling (eg., pillows, blankets, dirty laundry, etc...) in their bassdrum, I'm not so sure about getting the highest quality heads is the best idea. If you're one of these guys, I would just get a mediocre head (and save some money). However, if you're one that lets the BD resonate more with minimal muffling, then go with high quality. Good luck !

User Info Menu

I run a powersonic and I love it! Great thump with just the right amount of ring.

User Info Menu

Can someone explain to me what the hype with the EMAD GMAD and SK11 is? I am starting to think that muffling does filter off the hi end and bring out what we think is MORE bottom end and punch, but doesnt that muffling on the head kill its potential when the head at its fullest is what activates the shell and gives you all that sound? wouldnt it make sense to get rid of those unwanted hi end freqs another way. Which I have yet to figure out.

User Info Menu

My two favorite heads at the moment are Evans EMAD2 and Aquarian superkick II. The EMAD2 is exceptional for a meaty clickish sound, while the superkick II tends to balance out thump and attack.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I recently put on the Aquarian Superkick II for a batter and the Aquarian small hole Regulator reso on the front. This combo allows me to have nothing (ie. pillow, blanket) inside the bass drum and it sounds fantastic.

User Info Menu

thanks guys, my heads are on, and tuned. my bass sounds awesome...Clear PS3 for Batter and Ebony PS3 for Reso, cut my port in the reso and sounds really nice. just need to fine tune my toms and i'll be set.

after this i'll get some nice cymbals and my kit will be awesome...i'm sick of my ZBT's, might go for some Sabians

Larrysperf Guest

The Remo is good just like the Emad A little more for the sound I like,which is way down low

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Heads...Again...

Quote Originally Posted by elsamo95 View Post
    cheers, got all of my heads today and went for the PS3, i know them and trust them, didnt want to risk it.
    Very good choice and you will not regret it. I am a bit skeptical to all he other bass drumheads out there. Especially the ones with built in mufflers they look bulky and ugly. That's only my opinion.