Thread: Practice

User Info Menu

Question Practice

When practicing i find myself not having any idea what to practice on. Do you have any practice tips?

User Info Menu

Hi RSC and welcome to Drum Chat.

This is a common problem for many drummers. Drum Bum did a small article on the subject. You can see it here --> http://store.drumbum.com/drums/what-...e-on-drums.htm. You can also check out other real helpful articles and lessons here --> http://www.drumbum.com/drums/drum-lessons-index.htm.

Again, welcome to the group. It's a fun bunch in here.

User Info Menu

I agree with Drummer, it is definately a common problem and we all have suffered it one time or another. But that article should be of great help. Good luck Bro, and welcome to Drum Chat!!! Glad to have you here..
    Romans 8:28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.

User Info Menu

if all else fails.....crank the radio and do ur best to jam along....

User Info Menu

Default Practice

I'm not sure if you're referring to what kind of music to practice to, or what to practice with. I don't know if you're taking lessons from a teacher or if you're doin' this on your own. If you're taking lessons, he or she's given you a book to use. If you don't, you might want to get a basic book to focus on the rudiments.

Utopia has a great idea...in fact, I still crank up the radio (or tape or CD) up and jam along! In some ways, it's the next best thing to do if you can't practice with other live musicians...

Good luck, bro'!

User Info Menu

Does anybody think that playing while listening to CDs hurts the affects of playing with a group. I play all the time to CDs but when i get together with my friends , nothing seems to fit into place. Maybe its just me but it kind of sux....LOL
    DRUMS RULE.....

User Info Menu

If you can lay down a groove and keep time, then its your friends that have a hard time following you. The worst thing you can do as a drummer is to change time to follow the guitarist. Stay with the beat and play. So many times going into the chorus of a song or what not, the beat gets faster or slower and everyone tries to stay with it and disaster happens. You set the beat and DO NOT steer clear of it. A good bass player realy heps too.
    I have seen in musicians friend where you can get rock CD's of just guitar and bass tracks. This way you can add whatever you want to it as you practice. I am thinking of getting one in the near future.
    Rock Till Ya Drop

User Info Menu

Default Practice

There is a series of practice CD's called "Turn it UP and Lay it DOWN"--there are three currently available and I understand there's a fourth one on the way later this year.

I don't know if this is what Dave is referring to, but I bought all three from my drum teacher and they are perfect for helping you learn a groove, lock onto it, and keep it going. As you get more accustomed to it, you can also add your own licks; it's basically a guitar and bass on one channel and a click-track on the other.

Check them out...they're about $16-$18 each and they're money well spent. They'll really help you "keep the beat goin'"...
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Thanks bongo, these are the ones.
    Rock Till Ya Drop

User Info Menu

yeah what they said...it's almost funny how often that sorta thing happens..especially with young guitarists, but even alot of experienced ones still don't understand rythm too well...which is most unfortunate when trying to play with one of these kinds of guitarists....i think though the main problem from what i've seen is that the guitarists get big heads since they are like front center usually and they think that everyone should follow them but everyone should follow the drummer...and the drummer and bass should work together and follow eachother...at least that's what i've found to work best

User Info Menu

Default Re: Practice

Buy yourself some mallets and some tuned african percussion instruments, such as a tongue / slip drum, marimba.... musically they are quite inspirational.