Thread: VST Hardware Config

User Info Menu

Default VST Hardware Config

I just getting into midi, vst, e-kit (since my Tama Techstar days) and I'm wondering, for those of you running your software from a laptop, what hardware config you are using, or would recommend?

I've checked the specs for ezdrummer, as well as Mixcraft and my hardware falls within the recommended. But in all my computer experience, I have never had anything run well using the manufacturers recommended specs.

So I guess what I'm asking is, what is your setup?

Thanks..
    L

User Info Menu

Default Re: VST Hardware Config

I'm actually still learning how to do it, but i'm using a roland td-7 module, phonic 808 interface, and a not so great E machines computer. I'm using small footprint programs like ezdrummer and mackie tracktion 2 so that performance doesn't suffer. I also have BFD 2 but i'm still trying to get that one to work.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I'm actually still learning how to do it, but i'm using a roland td-7 module, phonic 808 interface, and a not so great E machines computer. I'm using small footprint programs like ezdrummer and mackie tracktion 2 so that performance doesn't suffer. I also have BFD 2 but i'm still trying to get that one to work.
    That's kind of where I am at the moment. I can run ez without any problem on my desktop pc using pro tools and my M-Audio interface. I'm mixing things up to find the best combination of sound vs resources.

I would love to be able to get it down to where I could use a netbook running 2 gigs of ram. That would be much more convenient when it came time to move gear around. I am able to run Mixcraft, and ezdrummer fine on it, but the hardware is pretty much pegged.

I'm going to try it with a clean o/s install and only those 2 applications.

User Info Menu

Okay. So for anyone interested. I am now able run my Mixcraft/EZDrummer combination from my netbook, without lag or jitter, and I have the latency at very near zero.

I'm using an Asus Eeepc with an Atom N280 processor @ 1.66GHz, 2gigs of ram and the stock internal 160gig hdd.

For hardware, I'm using a M-Audio midi-sport midi to usb interface, then for audio out, I'm using a M-Audio mobile-pre that I had hanging around.

I found a 3rd party ASIO driver for the mobile-pre and that pretty much solved the latency issue.

It works well enough together that I am able to load drumless tracks, mp3, etc. onto another track and play along.

That all being said, I am using a Roland TD-3 module, I don't think it would work with the higher end modules given the number of extra voices the software would load into memory.

Cheers,
    L

User Info Menu

Thanks a lot for the update. I was worried that i'd need crazy high specs to run samplers without latency or other problems. Heck you're working with less than I have and doing a little better it sounds like. I don't have EZDrummer anymore, I scrapped it when I picked up BFD2 so I guess that's why i'm still having trouble getting sounds and everything to work. Got the ASIO driver but it doesn't seem to recognize or something. Wierd.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Thanks a lot for the update. I was worried that i'd need crazy high specs to run samplers without latency or other problems. Heck you're working with less than I have and doing a little better it sounds like. I don't have EZDrummer anymore, I scrapped it when I picked up BFD2 so I guess that's why i'm still having trouble getting sounds and everything to work. Got the ASIO driver but it doesn't seem to recognize or something. Wierd.
    I've been using it pretty regularly now. I practice daily, and use it for band rehearsal a couple times a week, and to this point has been bullet-proof for me.

I looked at BFD2, and Superior, but the "minimum specs" for both of those are out of my little netbook's range.

BFD's recommended requirements are a little vague

"2 GB of RAM or more Fast, multi-core, modern Intel or AMD CPU, Dedicated hard drive, VST, RTAS or AU compatible plugin host, Low latency audio interface".

The "fast" multi-core processor and dedicated HDD are kind of a tip off.. lol
    I think it's in the area of 55 gigs of sounds? Are you using the default drivers for your 808, or the asio4all driver?

On the flip side. I think EZ lists a P4 and 512k of RAM, but recommends 1gig... big difference.

User Info Menu

hi guys
    i got ez drummer when i buy my e-kit
    i have couple of question
    i have a td6 module
    is it possible to hit the pad and use ez drummer sound to get out on my e-kit speaker
    i buy a cable midi to usb

how can i do that ?

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

I have a modified Yamaha DTX 520K eDrum Kit with the DTX 500 module.
    I use the MOTU 828 MKIII Hybrid Audio Interface Midi to USB or Firewire
    running Garageband as well as Logic on an iMac w/16Gb Ram.
    I also use Addictive Drums.