Thread: Mesh snare on Yammaha DTXPLORER

User Info Menu

Default Mesh snare on Yammaha DTXPLORER

Hi all,

I have the most basic Yamaha kit - DTXPLORER. I quite fancy one of those mesh head snares and was wondering if was possible they would be compatible with my kit. can anyone advise?

I know some of the new snares are dual triggered and my module cant handle that but hopefully there is a way around it or a very basic mesh snare?

thanks
    Last edited by cheekydollar; 10-03-2010 at 05:17 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mesh snare on Yammaha DTXPLORER

Quote Originally Posted by cheekydollar View Post
    can anyone advise?
    I know some of the new snares are dual triggered and my module cant handle that but hopefully there is a way around it or a very basic mesh snare?
    Hey...your current rubber snare should be three zone (if it's a TP65S)...your module input for the snare is actually a three zone input (see manual page 8)...if you switch over to mesh, you will more than likely lose the two rim zones..(i.e., you'll just have main pad area only)...this is because your module recognizes switches in the rim positions..not piezos...however, you never know it might trigger (with a little more playing force on rim)...personally, I'd keep your kit the way it is...mesh pads are Ok (I've played both currently own mesh DTXtreme RHP pads)...but they don't feel like real drums (too much bounce on roland pads)..if duplicating real drums is the feel you're looking for....you might look at the new DTX550...it has the new TCS snare pad...those pads are supposed to feel more like real drums than anything currenty available...quieter (stick noise) than mesh also....another option is looking for a good used TP100/120 rubber pad from the DTXtreme IIs/III series...they are larger than your current rubber pad and also easier on the hands (a little softer/more cushion on impact)...these can be found on ebay.... fairly reasonable and you won't lose three zone capability with it....BTW...I've attached a pic of my DTXtreme RHP kit below...this was the first DTXtreme kit from Yamaha...I've upgraded it with the latest module, cymbals/hihat and rack from Yamaha...

Last edited by scorch whammin; 10-03-2010 at 09:04 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately in the DTXPLORER package you only get the TP65 single zone pads

The main reason I wanted to go for a mesh head was to allow me to play slightly more quietly, and then also benefit from the 3 zones if possible. Perhaps I should check out the TCS pad then.

PS - awsome kit!
    Last edited by drummer; 10-06-2010 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Commercial Link

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scorch whammin View Post
    Hey...your current rubber snare should be three zone (if it's a TP65S)...your module input for the snare is actually a three zone input (see manual page 8)...
    The DTXplorer comes with a TP65 pad (single-zone) for the snare but can be upgraded to a TP65S (three zones) or even the TP100/TP120.

As for the mesh pads, it should work. But even Roland's best mesh pads are only dual zone.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DLDante View Post
    The DTXplorer comes with a TP65 pad (single-zone) for the snare but can be upgraded to a TP65S (three zones) or even the TP100/TP120.

As for the mesh pads, it should work. But even Roland's best mesh pads are only dual zone.
    Yea I wasn't sure about which pad the Xplorer came with (hence me stating "if it's a TP65S") ...just knew from manual that you could get three zones..also I stated in my post that you could upgrade to pads you mention...regarding new TCS pad, I just read where Yamaha won't guarantee that all three zones will work on older modules (i.e., DTXpress, DTXplorer)...only the head zone they guarantee will work...this is due to a lack of firmware update (for new trigger settings/compatibility) on DTXplorer/DTXpress modules....however, I will say this...my pads (DTXtreme I RHP) use dual piezo's for head and rim and Yamaha didn't ever endorse/recommend there use with the DTXtreme III module. This is because that module was set up to operate the second and third zone via switches...however, I am able to get both zones to trigger consistently, even though the module was not supposed to recognize a piezo in second zone...so you never know with out trying...
    Last edited by scorch whammin; 10-06-2010 at 05:43 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the help guys! Cant seem rto find the TCS for sale anywhere as a seperate unit, but I have emailed Yamaha to see what they think about it all. Good to know I can get 3 zones, and a shame there is no USB port to upgrade module firmware..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cheekydollar View Post
    Thanks for the help guys! Cant seem rto find the TCS for sale anywhere as a seperate unit, but I have emailed Yamaha to see what they think about it all. Good to know I can get 3 zones, and a shame there is no USB port to upgrade module firmware..
    No usb? how about the 3 zones?