Thread: Dw 7000

User Info Menu

Default Dw 7000

Is it good?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Dw 7000

Ive been using a DW7000 double for several years and its not my Main Pedal but its been a good part-time pedal, that I use on my "Road kit" which I play two times a month and have for 5 years now. Its a smooth, fast pedal but the negative side is that its lightweight and you will need to buy some heavy duty Velco and put it on the Slave Pedal to help keep it in place, otherwise it will scoot away from your foot. Ive seen a couple of them broke in half by a couple buddies of mine who really have power in their foot strokes. I dont have that kind of power stroke so Ive never experienced that and Ive never had any problems with the pedal, other than having to Velcro the Slave pedal...and it does have to be replaced from time to time. You really need to buy a cushioned bag to put them in to keep them from getting banged up with the loading and unloading, getting banged up in the trailer etc.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

I have a 7000 double pedal. I upgraded the springs to the heavy duty ones and am very happy with the performance. It is the later model with the double chain.
    I love the look and sound of a quality drum set.
    Gretsch is my choice.

Gretsch Catalina Maple 5pc. in Red Lacquer
    Pearl P 902 double pedal
    Cymbals: Paiste Alpha 21" groove ride, 18" Paiste 3000 medium crash, 16" Paiste Alpha medium crash, 14" Paiste Alpha sound edge hi hats, Sabian Xs20 16" crash
    Hardware: A mix of what works.
    VINTAGE 1979 LUDWIG ACROLITE SNARE DRUM 5 x 14"

VINTAGE 1972 SLINGERLAND COB GENE KRUPA SOUND KING 51/2 x 14"

User Info Menu

I had one. I didn't like it. But that was a combination of a manufacturing flaw and my bias against double bass. My issue was on the slave linkage. There was a bit of rotational play. In single pedal flavor, it was really good.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LittleDrummerBoy94 View Post
    Is it good?
    I have the DW7000 double pedal. It's not a bad pedal for the money. I found a used one in like new condition and bought it for $175 over a year ago. I'd like to try a heavier spring like mlaugh did to his.

Quote Originally Posted by mlaugh View Post
    I have a 7000 double pedal. I upgraded the springs to the heavy duty ones and am very happy with the performance. It is the later model with the double chain.
    mlaugh, how do you like your pedals with the heavier springs? I've been contiplating changing mine out with heavier ones. Why did you change yours? What difference did it make for you?

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Dw 7000

I found the parts on the DW website. I actually cant remember if I had them sent to me or if Guitar Center had them in stock. Anyway I wanted to to see if they would give me more response. They are stronger and I think they made the pedal more controlled. I like it.
    The earlier pedal model was a single chain and may not feel like the newer double chain.
    Overall they are pretty good.
    Gretsch is my choice.

Pearl P 902 double pedal
    Cymbals: Paiste Alpha 21" groove ride, 18" Paiste 3000 medium crash, 16" Paiste Alpha medium crash, 14" Paiste Alpha sound edge hi hats, Sabian Xs20 16" crash

User Info Menu

I found the parts on the DW website. I actually cant remember if I had them sent to me or if Guitar Center had them in stock. Anyway I wanted to to see if they would give me more response. They are stronger and I think they made the pedal more controlled. I like it.
    The earlier pedal model was a single chain and may not feel like the newer double chain.
    Thanks for the input mlaugh. I have the same Dbl chain setup as you. I think I'll look into trying them out. I tend to have to tighten my current springs up quite a bit before the pedals start to feel good to me.

User Info Menu

Owner of a DW 7002PT for a good 3 years now and the only problem I notice is ME

Seriously it's an excellent pedal for it's price and also backed up by a 5 years warranty.

The former DW 7000 are now the DW 3000.
    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    TAMA - AQUARIAN - DW PEDALS - SABIAN - ISTANBUL MEHMET - ZILDJIAN - PAISTE - VATER

Member: Aquarian Preacher Nation & AAXplosion army...

AND I CONFESS I'M A DRUMGEAR-A-HOLIC

User Info Menu

I've got a single and I love the thing.
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

i used dw 70002 for a while just got the money to upgrade to dw9002. I used the 7000 with slug beaters the green ones on the plastic side, nice attack and good sound as i am not to fond of the 2 way dw beaters. Dw 7000 the now 3000 pedal and hi hat stand is pretty solid for the money... I now use danmar ufo on my 9000 this is what I have been jammin on since I can't have my kit right now
    Last edited by Derbis; 12-21-2010 at 04:38 PM.

User Info Menu

thats an interesting hh stand, never seen that footboard on a dw. what is it?
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

I've been playing one for close to 4 yrs now with no issues. I had a pair of older 5000 turbos and the feel is similar to me. I had those for well over 10 yrs with no issues either.
    DW Collector's Series ~ Zildjian cymbals

User Info Menu

oh that ..............its an old cheap hi hat that I had. It's not a DW. I stuck that decal on there for kicks. I now have a 800 series PDP hi hat (two legged). Sorry to draw attention to that.
    Gretsch is my choice.

Pearl P 902 double pedal

User Info Menu

I have had mine for about 5 years now. The only problem I have had with it has been the rocker bearing (where the spring attaches to). The bearings in it go out all the time. I have gone through about 11 of these little gems. It ends up squeaking really bad and then just freezes up. I've tried to put grease into them, oil them, clean them, and any other method of preserving them, but to no avail. That is my only complaint.

I just play a single, so I have no input on the doubles.
    PDP MX Series Drums, Zildjian A Custom cymbals, Tama Simon Phillips Gladiator Signature snare, Roc-N-Soc throne.

User Info Menu

why have i heard of problems with DW footboards snapping in two?
    im not bashing, just asking which reminds me of a JR Robinson master class i took. he is sponsored by DW yet plays Axis pedals, he explained he has to use direct drive because the lag in chain drive isnt condusive to recording with "the dude"

User Info Menu

I have heard that too. I have to wonder just how in the world someone breaks the footboard on a DW pedal? I can tell you that I never have, on any model or brand I have played over my 30yrs of drumming.

BTW, that little bearing broke AGAIN last night on my DW7000. Glad I have a bag of bakup parts as I have a gig again tonight. Why can't they make a bearing that will last? That is my question.
    PDP MX Series Drums, Zildjian A Custom cymbals, Tama Simon Phillips Gladiator Signature snare, Roc-N-Soc throne.

User Info Menu

As some of you may know, I called DW about my problem with their bearing assembly and this is the part they sent me (2 of them actually, at no cost to me) Their part number for this kit is DWSM018-3. They claim that the old bearings had problems (obviously) and that this is the solution.

I can say that the new bearing seems quite a bit smoother than the old one, but only time will tell as to how long it will last. I'll let you know when or if this one fails. If anyone else has a better solution, I'm all ears.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Dw 7000

ntn2it,

This looks like a step in the right direction to me. How would you reccomend me getting this replacement? Thank you.

Mike
    Gretsch is my choice.

Pearl P 902 double pedal

User Info Menu

ntn2it, hard to tell but sure looks like the new one has like..three times as many bearings! the old one looks like it has 4!!?? thats why the new one feels smoother..am i seeing this correct? if so...everyone who has this pedal should get that replacement!
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Marty,
    My pictures are deceiving. Actually the old rocker bearing has approximately 28 bearings inside it and the new one has just 8. The old ones are extremely small and the new ones are held in a "carrier". The tech guy at DW told me that the old bearing would gather dust inside it and then just grind itself into submission. Supposedly the the new rocker bearing with its larger bearings and more open space allow it to dump the dirt, dust and grit out and not foul it up. The old one also has a steel center hub and an outer aluminum donut. The new one is all steel. My feelings are that the dis-similar metals and steel mini bearings were really the cause of the problem. When the old aluminum donut wore down, it allowed those mini bearings to "load up" on each other and create more wear surfaces. Hopefully they have built a better bearing. I have only had the new one in for about a week now and will update this thread with my findings periodically.
    ntn2it