Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Magical Drum Stick ...

User Info Menu

Default Re: Magical Drum Stick ...

be patient, your favorite sticks will break one day and you will search and find another pair.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotATable View Post
    Pro Mark Shira Kashi Oak...
    +1

A guitarist/singer/bassist dude who used to play drums once borrowed my sticks without knowing when I was at a rehearsal (we were all wanting to play the drum kit), he went up and picked out my sticks and started playing, I had no problem with that at all though, I don't like to embarrass people by yelling out "HEY THOSE ARE MINE!!!" or anything like that.
    But since the sticks were practically brand new I was surprised to find some just some really small dents on them from his doing constant beat-the-heck-out-of-this-snare-rimshot's, but after all that gritting of my teeth it only had some really surprisingly small marks! Try that on hickory hehe...

And this is just a theory, but I think that if the stick has time to age (like, 2-5) years of not being played, they seem to be stronger. I have some SP's that were my very first drum sticks, and I still use them! They got darker from just sitting around (the dirt in the grooves), but they seemed hard. And when I started to play drum kit over a year ago, I realized that just no matter how hard I hit them and bash them, they just don't break :P
    But again it's just a theory.

Hope you find some sticks that work well!
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    As for breaking sticks, I go through a set of sticks per show. Even if they arent broke, I dont like the feel of them after a full show.
    Agreed. When I was playing shows all the time, I would play the shows with brand new sticks and then only use the survivors for practices after that. Then buy 2 or 3 new pairs before the next show.
    Drummer for Almondy Brown and Redeemer Church of Lakeland | Session Artist | Private Instructor
    Facebook.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Instagram.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Twitter.com/PerryEarlDrums
    AlmondyBrown.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nechre View Post
    I've broken a brand new pair of sticks in 1 song. Rimshots...
    beast kit by the way man

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotATable View Post
    Pro Mark Shira Kashi Oak...
    Yup these are the ones. Japanese oak doesn't chip and flake like the Vic Virths do. I've been playing these since as long as I can remember.
    Cut it large and kick it into place!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    I say check your technique, you shouldnt be breaking sticks after 2 or 3 rehearsals. Sound like youre just a heavy hitter and no need to beat the snot out of your equipment.

Just my thoughts, but if youre snapping that many sticks then by all means get the cheaper ones until you figure out whats going on.
    I used to be of the same mindset, but after having attended some shows in recent months, I find that many drummers for bands doing progressive or alternative rock are playing pretty fast and hard. It's very loud, high energy playing and it's part of the total package of the show. As a result, sticks, cymbals and heads are unfortunate casualties of that kind of playing. I'm not saying it's "correct" - it just is what it is.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.