Thread: Newbie Crash Questions

User Info Menu

Question Newbie Crash Questions

Ok. So, I often play on my crash. I've gotten wierd looks when I tell some people that. However, in songs I hear it often. I do it for intense parts like choruses and what not. Is that wrong? (I also don't hit it directly 90 because I heard it doesn't give the crash its full sound.) Are you only supposed to hit crashes for change or is what I'm doing Ok? Also, if it is ok; what is a good crash for that? Right now I have a Sabian XS20 medium-thin. I don't know what to put for second crash. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Newbie Crash Questions

dude ,, whatever sounds good to you ,is the right thing , the cool thing about music is ,there are no rules ,, if playing on your crash sounds good to you and your band mates ,then by all means do it . nothing wrong with it ... have fun...thats what its all about.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

You're doing some crash riding eh? They make cymbals called crash/rides just for that purpose, but also you can crash a ride cymbal or a crash for the same purpose. Some rides don't crash very well, and some crashes don't ride very well...(are you confused yet?)....

Anyway, nothing wrong with crash riding.....but it shouldn't overwhelm any other part of the music. Feel the rest of the band and stay with their dynamics. You should certainly NOT abandon a nice dedicated pingy ride in favor of always crash riding. It's just one more tool to use...not abuse.

User Info Menu

I beleive a lot of modern metal drummers routinely ride on a crash. Makes for a loud, in your face groove, but that's pretty much the name of the game in metal!

Might not fit in so well in a laid back jazz track, but there you go.
    You know the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
    they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.

User Info Menu

I think the term "wash riding" would be applicable here. I know it's the same thing as crash riding, but that could get confusing since there's crash/ride cymbals out there and whatnot. Wash riding is basically what you described, Frazzetto. It's playing on an open cymbal (crash, ride, china, etc) to create a wall of white noise as the backbeat (am I using that word right? ). Lots of drummers do it, particularly in alt-rock and metal. But that doesn't mean that you can't incorporate it into other genres (except a laid back jazz track like TPO mentioned).

As far as a second crash goes, if you're happy with the XS20 line, why not get an 18" XS20 crash? If you're looking to branch out into other lines, check out the AA line. There's some great stuff in there.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

I ride my crashes more than any other cymbals on my kit. It really depends on the genre. Jazz would probably never require you to, where as metal and modern rock drummers do it all the time. You probably want to do it when your guitarists are playing open chords. It sounds weird in verses and stuff. But they also sound good in fast, intense breakdowns, not slow "epic" breakdowns. If you play metal of course.
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

I dont ride my crash. I have crashes for crashing and rides for riding but thats my style and personal preferrence.

As already stated you can do what sounds best to you, there is no rule.

Welcome to the board.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Frazzetto!

As already stated by atomcorr2, there is nothing wrong with going outside the box when you are playing music. It's a technique that is already used quite a bit in Metal, so why not experiment with it in other styles? If it sounds good to you and your band, you may just create a new feel.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

Drum Bum: Gifts for Drummers

Cool Drummer T-shirts and Drum Accessories!

User Info Menu

I agree with all the replies to your question; it's about what sounds right to you. If someone looks at you funny for riding your crash just ignore them if it feels right and sounds right for you.
    As for suggestions on cymbals I would suggest a nice big crash with a long sustain (I have recently retired a 19" Sabian AAX metal crash which was ideal for the job) or a big open ride with lots of wash and crashability - dry rides aren't going to cut it for that task. The key is to go to the drum shop and try out as many cymbals as you can to find the perfect one for you.
    Gear

1980's Chrome Wrap Pearl Export Kit
    22" Bass Drum
    12" Rack Tom
    13" Rack Tom
    16" Floor Tom

Snare Drum
    Highwood Custom made 13" snare with light blue sparkled wrap and high gloss black metalwork.

Cymbals
    13" K Zildjian top / Z Dynobeat bottom hihats
    17" Paiste 2002 Wild Crash
    18" Paiste 3000 Power Crash
    22" Stagg hand hammered Brilliant Rock Ride

*Recently Retired*
    18" A Zildjian Rock Crash
    19" Sabian AAX Metal Crash

User Info Menu

I'm Glad the bike season is pretty much finished , all this talk of riding and crashing is making me nervous.

Official cowbell hater.