Thread: Double stroke roll with flams?

User Info Menu

Default Double stroke roll with flams?

Hi guys. I m not really a drumline freak but these years I m really digging into some more into the rudimental part of drumming.
    I ve been able to place quite a lot flams in different places of the singles, but how about doubles?

I see in standard rudiments there is not really the flam in the double strokes. In some of the "hybrid" rudiments there are "flam 5", "cheese" which use one flam in the beginning of a double stroke.

My point of the question is:
    Is it virtually feasible to throw in flams "ANYWHERE" in a consistant double stroke roll? If physically speaking this is practical, I don mind spend another couple of weeks on this.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Double stroke roll with flams?

All you have to do is squeeze a third note out of one of the doubles to create the grace note for the flam. The difficulty is that now, that hand only has the one stroke by the opposing hand to prepare for the next set of doubles. At speed that can be problematic. At moderate tempos, it's pretty easy. Here's a good example of what I am talking about

(Grace notes in lower case)

Played as triplets:

lRRLLRR rLLRRLL lRRLLRR rLLRRLL

User Info Menu

Default Re: Double stroke roll with flams?

It's definately possible, but not easy at tempo. I have actually played rudimental solos that put flams into rolls.

If you really want to improve your rudimental drumming I suggest getting a solo/excercise book. They contain lots of information that make you a better player on drumset and snare. My favorite is "The Rudimental Cookbook" by Edward Freytag.