Thread: Quick questions about dynamics

User Info Menu

Default Quick questions about dynamics

My teacher has really let me slack on my dynamics as I've been working on some fundementals. But the time has come and he's starting to ride me about them.

In general, short of accented notes, when playing a snare peice I pretty much ignored all the other dynamic markings. Now he wants me to play all the dynamics listed on the page.

I thought a had enough understanding of the dynamic markings to work through it, but when I sat down tonight to work on a snare piece I realized I had a couple of questions.

The piece starts out in and stays in mezzo-forte for 8 measures. Then in the 9th measure it goes to fortissimo for 2 beats. There is then a long roll that is marked with a cresendo from piano to forte. So my question is about the note that follows that cresendo roll. Do I keep playing forte (where the crescendo ended), does it go back to fortissimo which was where it was at just before the crescendo or does it go back to mezzo-forte which was designated at the start of the peice?

One last question, there are crescendo and decresendo symbols that basically touch each other. I understand that means to get louder and then bring the volume back down. But the cresendo starts at piano and the decrescendo ends at forte. It looks like this (albiet the cresendo marks are obviously longer).

p<>f

So does that mean it starts out soft, get REALLY loud in the middle and ends up just loud?

So if I had a p<>p would it still hit the same volume in middle as the p<>f would in the middle?

Thanks!
    Doc

User Info Menu

Default Re: Quick questions about dynamics

The piece starts out in and stays in mezzo-forte for 8 measures. Then in the 9th measure it goes to fortissimo for 2 beats. There is then a long roll that is marked with a cresendo from piano to forte. So my question is about the note that follows that cresendo roll. Do I keep playing forte (where the crescendo ended), does it go back to fortissimo which was where it was at just before the crescendo or does it go back to mezzo-forte which was designated at the start of the peice?

Unless otherwise indicated, remain at the last dynamic indicator. Think of them as speed limit signs. They govern what follows in general.

One last question, there are crescendo and decresendo symbols that basically touch each other. I understand that means to get louder and then bring the volume back down. But the cresendo starts at piano and the decrescendo ends at forte. It looks like this (albiet the cresendo marks are obviously longer).

p<>f

So does that mean it starts out soft, get REALLY loud in the middle and ends up just loud?

Well, define REALLY loud. See below for more...

So if I had a p<>p would it still hit the same volume in middle as the p<>f would in the middle?

Unless indicated differently, I would say yes. If there is no dynamic indicator at the apex of the crescendo, then there may be room for interpretation. If it's a fairly short roll, then you can expect the rate of rise to be more like a swell. It's the dynamic motion that defines the form of the phrase, not necessarily a volume target that must be reached.

User Info Menu

As with any musical notation, the last noted marking (time signature, key, tempo, volume, etc) remains the case.

In question 1, after the roll, you will continue in forte.

As for your second question, yes, you will bring the volume up over forte and then bring it down to forte.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

You guys rock! Thanks, I really appreciate it.

I also have a question about playing dynamically on the bass drum. My bass drum playing in completely monotone. My hands have come a long way recently, but my bass drum technique is really lagging behind my hands.

When I play dynamically with my hands I think about playing at different height levels. But I'm really struggling with being able to play dynamically on the bass drum.

I think I'm not doing something mechanically correctly. I'm guessing to play softly versus loudly on the bass drum you're really adjusting the amount of "back swing" in your stroke, is that correct? After I play a note on the bass drum I basically reset my foot/pedal to the highest point until I need to play the next note. I equate that to not keeping my sticks low after a playing a note on the snare. With the beater all the way back I'm assuming the next note has no choice but to be loud just like if you had your sticks high off the snare head. I'm thinking that's why all my bass notes end up being the same volume.

So do you always keep the beater close to the head? If that's the case I'm assuming for a soft note you play from that position close to the head. When playing a loud note you take a backswing prior to playing the note?

Hopefully that makes some sense.

Thanks again!
    Doc

User Info Menu

When I play soft BD notes, I use heel down. This allows me to control the softness a bit better than heel up. When playing normal to louder BD notes, I use heel up. Note that heel up is more comfortable for me when I play. So, it really depends on what's comfortable for you. Good luck, Doc.

User Info Menu

Doc,

Although you need to practice dynamics, by themselves when practicing a snare piece, dynamics don't have context. When playing with a conductor or director, they will define the dynamics and their range. Obviously P and F have very different meanings when playing with a 30 piece band compared to playing with 130 piece band.

When playiing your own music, you get to dicide. When playing for a teacher, the teacher decides dynamics and their range.

Your questins have been answered, but thought this might help with a reference to what dynamics are about and how their used.