Thread: 4 Way Indepents

User Info Menu

Default 4 Way Indepents

On Neil Peart's Anatomy of a Drum Solo, he said that his teacher told him that double cross overs and 4 way independents will be the hardest thing to do. Then he said that after 40 years, he is still working on 4 way independents. What is this that Neil Peart STILL can't do???

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat.

It's not that he can't do it, it's that it's never-ending. 4 way independence is simply getting your 4 limbs to work independent of each other (like ambidexterity). So it's a never-ending goal for most serious drummers. You never really master it, but you'll keep getting better at it the more you practice and perform.

User Info Menu

By the way Drummina; you must go here --> http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php?t=1699 ...for the official Drum Chat Newbie Initiation. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.

User Info Menu

Drummer, as you seem to know more than I, do you have tips/exercises for learning 4 way independance, as this is one area I need to work in the most I think.

And Drummina - you MUST do the initiation. No free passes around here......
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=crazymanwithaplunger]Drummer, as you seem to know more than I, do you have tips/exercises for learning 4 way independance, as this is one area I need to work in the most I think.

im not speaking for drummer here at all but there are some great exercises already posted, so go here. Im sure drummer has many useful tips also

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php?t=1705

User Info Menu

Thanks livewire, exactly the sort of thing I was wanting.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

glad to be of help crazyman

User Info Menu

Four way independence!!! I've never looked at it that way, thats probably one of the coolest and interesting things I've heard you can do on drums. I had my mind stuck in two way independence, but using your left foot right foot left hand and right hand for different jobs that just made my day.

btw Drummina, I'm working on that Independence stuff that you are working on (I assume you are anyways). how are you finding it? hard?

User Info Menu

for good examples of 4 limb independence, check out some of these latin jazz dudes like horacio "el negro" henandez, or antonio sanchez. i like how these guys will play a dif. time sig with each limb. i have been working at it for a couple years now with little success. it is almost like un training yourself to follow certain patterns.

User Info Menu

four limbs doing different time sigs? thats absolutely the nuttiest thing I've ever heard (in a good way). I think ill stick with my getting my two limbs independent first

User Info Menu

Default Heck no!

I don't think I even have one way independents! But thanks for asking! LOL

User Info Menu

keep practicing you'll get there