Thread: side snare

User Info Menu

Default side snare

Hey guys need a side snare for electro trance stuff my friend wants me to play live drums when he mixes stuff up and record our sessions never had a side snare before but my main snare i use for anything is a 6 x 14 so im looking at the Perl firecracker or Gretsch 6x10 Ash Shell or do you guys think i should buy a 5x12 drum thanks for your help i really don't know much about that type of music and youtube really don't help much

User Info Menu

Default Re: side snare

anyone can help thanks

User Info Menu

I was at a GC about a month ago and played on a set with a Firecracker setup to the left of the hats. What a cool addition ! You can even turn off the snares and play it like a timbale. I'm thinking about getting one of these as well...

User Info Menu

I played a Pdp 805 side snare once, and I loved it, it had a nice pop. Any snare that souds different from your main snare will work, most people prefer the small diameter ones.

Larrysperf Guest

The pearls are nice

User Info Menu

I am actually using a 4 1/2" X 13" Noble and Cooley Horizon snare as a side snare. I have it tuned high compared to my Gretsch Renown Snare. Works well with a nice crack. I have also been looking at getting one of the Pearl Firecrackers.
    STACK57

Any man who may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile...
    Can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy".
    -- President John F. Kennedy

Gretsch Renown 57 and Renowns in Cherry Burst
    Noble & Cooley CD Maple kit and Horizon Hybrid kit
    Gretsch, Noble & Cooley, Pearl, Ludwig and Slingerland Snares
    Bosphorus & Zildjian Cymbals
    Gilbraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

I use a Tama 13x3.5 steel snare as a side snare, I have it tuned nice and high and it sounds pretty awesome. I like it so much I'm actually using it as my main snare right now, but that's just temporary.

There's all sorts of side snares out there...pretty much all the major manufacturers have smaller diameter snares, it just comes down to what appeals to you the most, and price.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Cool Re: side snare

My side snare is a pearl stainless snare....given to me by my son(it was his)
    as a christmas gift!!!! Since my primary hi-hat is a dw remote on left side,
    my left hand falls to da stainless and my right on slightly open (sloppy) hats,,,,i go from finese to against da wall rock n' roll simply changing
    hand position not body position!!!!
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Pearl Firecracker is a great sounding snare. One day I'd like to order a DW 10" Side Snare, but first I'd like to get the DW kit...
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

By the way, you might like this... Great use of the side snare too.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk9lL-FTJJ4"]YouTube - Sven Kosakowski: Techno/House-Drumming[/ame]
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

dave0549jv Guest

Ive got a firecracker on the side, and i really like having it there. that PDP 802 is a sweet little drum too.

User Info Menu

thanks guys i almost one a 6 x 10 dw snare on ebay for 100 bucks but I lost the bid