Thread: Drum head help!

User Info Menu

Default Drum head help!

Hi. I have a Gretsch catalina maple 6 piece kit. I just got it like 4 months ago and I bought it with evans ec2 heads on the top and the stock gretsch drum heads on the bottom. I love the sound of the ec2's on top but was thinking about getting some good ones on the bottom. What would be an ideal head to put on the bottom of the drums. Or on that note. What would be the best head to put on a maple drum set, period??? Give me some feedback please!!!!!

Larrysperf Guest

Default Re: Drum head help!

EC reso or G1 would be great, or if you cant get Evans ,Clear ambassadors will work

User Info Menu

+1 to clear G1's or Ambos.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Depends if you want it to sound more alive, sustaining and a little brighter; or more controlled, less sustaining, and darker pitched. If it's the latter, i'd consider ec2 or hydraulic over g2- seems to be kind of popular with some drummers nowadays. Evans are an excellent choice for a thick and meaty drum sound.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I use EC2's clear/Ambassador on my maple kit and they sound great. I tried G2's on the bottom of my EC2 and the sound was fat and I want my drum to sing out loud.

User Info Menu

Can I sound like a total noob without gettng beat on (pardon the pun) and ask what the diff between the diff Evans heads and why the mix of one "model" on top with another "model" on bottom? What combo would give you a *thump* and what would give you a *bangg*

User Info Menu

I'd say a G1 or G2 if you want a 'fatter' sound
    Paiste Alpha 14'' Sound Edge hats
    Paiste Alpha 16'' Medium Crash
    Sabian XS20 14'' Medium-Thin Crash
    Wuhan 16'' China

drummer: Being young is good ... as long as you're also wise
    Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Then you can use napkins to wipe your hands instead of taping them to your heads.