Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tama Speed Cobra review

User Info Menu

Default Tama Speed Cobra review

In a word ...Awsome!!! I must preface this by expressing my disappointment in some of our brother drummers out there. Trying to research this pedal I was surprised how many people were critical of this product months before it was released. Anyway I filtered out the noise and researched myself and after it was released I was able to demo it several times at the music store, and I finally made the decision to trade in my Pearl Eliminators and buy the Tama Speed Cobra. This thing is as fast and powerful as you'll find. I'm not a fan of direct drive but in trying out Axis longboards they were fine for blazing double bass but to me it felt odd to try and play other styles for softer or more articulate parts of a song without a heel plate and chain drive. They seemed to lack some power as well. The longer footboard with a heel plate and chain drive on the Speed Cobra gives you extreme versatility over shortboards or longboards IMO! I think of it as a hybrid of the two. With the speed cobra you have all the flexibility to play all styles heel up, heel down, heel toe. I play all variety of music so this kind of flexibility is a must. Anyway check them out for yourselves. Thanks

Last edited by Timmkatt; 10-08-2010 at 04:03 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tama Speed Cobra

Have you used a Speed King and/or an Iron Cobra? Wondering how the feel compares.

User Info Menu

I'd also like to hear how it compares to an Iron Cobra. I have an IC and love it. But the speed cobra really has me interested. I've been working on my slide technique for doubles and would really prefer something with a smooth footboard.

User Info Menu

I learned to play on a speed king but that was 3 decades ago. I moved from Pearl eliminators to the speed cobra so I cannot speak of the original IC's. The thing that drew me to start looking at the Speed cobra was the longer footboard and the feel of the pedal. It seems that whether I'm playing heel up/down or slide the power is there. The smooth board is nice for sliding! I do some heel/toe and the longer footbard is a plus preventing hitting the chain or cam which was a problem with the eliminators. I don't really use the cobra coil and just have them set at the lowest level. When you play these at the back of the footboard with toes just in front of the heel plate they dribble like magic with plenty of attack and power. Pedals are a personal choice so I suggest trying them in the store if you have the opportunity. My experience is not to push anyone to one pedal or another. I have had the Speed Cobras a week now and have only slightly adjusted the angle of the footbards and the left spring slightly. Other than that the factory settings have been extremely comfortable. I'm very happy with my choice!
    Last edited by Timmkatt; 10-15-2010 at 06:29 PM.

User Info Menu

So they are fast and just easy to play? Interesting. I'll have to try one out!

User Info Menu

This was the review that sold me AFTER I tried them a couple of times in the store.

http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/d...-282283/review

This paragraph in particular hooked me after playing them as I agreed completely:

>>As far as we're concerned, hardware that so closely unites player with kit as to almost disappear is the Holy Grail, and such is the sweetness and slickness of the Speed Cobra that it gets very close. We're not Derek Roddy, but even we appreciated the discernible ease with which fast strokes translated from bodily movement to bass drum response.

For metal drummers dishing out high-bpm double bass battery, the Speed Cobra could be your new best friend. But that's not to say Tama's newbie is a one-trick pony. It's so well-conceived and built - with the kind of near-endless adjustment that high-end pedals offer these days - that it could be pressed into service in any genre with aplomb.<<

I find them fast and easy to play but that being said they won't play the drums for you. Practice, control and dynamics is the name of the game as we know but the right tools sure make it a heck of a lot of fun!
    Last edited by Timmkatt; 10-15-2010 at 06:42 PM.

User Info Menu

I assume you have the double? I am a single player myself. I NEED to check this pedal out!!!

User Info Menu

I do have the double but that is not my primary focus. I play soft songs, hard songs you name it. Some days I don't even touch the second pedal. I learned long ago to mix it up because it is hard to break the muscle memory and slow it down if all you do is sit down and blast out double bass. That is where I think the Speed Cobras shine. I can play blazing fast DB or DB fills but 2 minutes later play the most delicate or articulate single pedal jazz grooves or single pedal rock grooves without missing a beat. Hope you get a chance to check them out!

User Info Menu

I like em but the strange beater shape is a deal breaker for me.
    HHMMMM!...FIRE BAAAADD!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Homeularis View Post
    I like em but the strange beater shape is a deal breaker for me.
    Yeah, that beater looks like it can punch a whole through any head
    Paiste Alpha 14'' Sound Edge hats
    Paiste Alpha 16'' Medium Crash
    Sabian XS20 14'' Medium-Thin Crash
    Wuhan 16'' China

drummer: Being young is good ... as long as you're also wise
    Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Then you can use napkins to wipe your hands instead of taping them to your heads.

User Info Menu

The beater can be flipped over according to sites.

User Info Menu

You can also take it right out and replace it with any number of alternate beater choices. I have seen billiard balls, mini skulls, etc...
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Yeah, but who wants to buy some $400 pedals and then spend more on other beaters?.
    HHMMMM!...FIRE BAAAADD!!

User Info Menu

I can only say that after owning them a week and a half playing the pedals they rock. The beaters are not a problem. I played them at first in the stock position (more attack) but have them flat for more punch...my preference. I don't play light by any definition and have not seen any undue wear on the head. The beaters look light and like they can go through the head but they generate plenty of punch and volume or articulate light notes just as well. Trust me on this fact... Tama did their homework. These pedals are smooth as oiled glass, fast and powerful as they come. I loved my pearl elims for the last three years but I'm starting to feel like those were mere toys compared to the speed cobras(sorry pearl).

User Info Menu

I don't think a company like Tama with their exceptional quality in pedals would create something so revolutionary (according to Timmkatt) without considering the beaters going through the heads... Just a thought
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

I gave them a try and I'm going to buy. Spot on with your review I agree with all of what you said.
    If you are worried about the beater without trying the pedal you are just doing yourself a disservice.
    I've used wood beaters and would be more concerned with those tearing up than a pointed piece of felt. I'd rather be hit with a pillow made of felt than one made of wood. Use a falam slam those things never wear through.
    "The Innocent Shall Suffer, Big Time"

User Info Menu

How light/heavy are they? Like how heavy is their heaviest setting and how light is their lightest setting?

I play a lot of metal in the higher tempos (200bpm+), and I'm quite fond of light pedals that almost feel like there's nothing there, but you can sure as hell hear what you're playing! Because I play a lot of double kick runs at faster and for longer periods of time (1 minute +), endurance is a big factor for me so I like pedals that are light and responsive.

I'd love to try out some Speed Cobras, but as far as I know, there's nowhere in New Zealand that are currently stocking them.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

XW- What pedals are you playing now? These pedals have a very light feel in the factory middle setting. Felt as fast and light as anything I've played over the years in the factory out of the box setting. I usually crank the spring as tight as it goes on all pedals for speed and power. I didn't feel the need to do that when I tried the pedals out. I ordered two singles and should have them next week, I'll let you know how all the adjustments go when I get them.
    "The Innocent Shall Suffer, Big Time"

User Info Menu

got to mess around with these today, and they were pretty impressive! for not being set up how i like , or in the position i like , and on an electronic set, they were way more responsive than my dw 7000's. i used to play iron cobras, but i think these felt smoother , if thats possible, and my foot actually fit on the footboard! it would be nice to get some time in on a proper heel-toe technique. now all i gotta do is sell my soul to get them and a second bass drum.
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DeathDrum View Post
    XW- What pedals are you playing now? These pedals have a very light feel in the factory middle setting. Felt as fast and light as anything I've played over the years in the factory out of the box setting. I usually crank the spring as tight as it goes on all pedals for speed and power. I didn't feel the need to do that when I tried the pedals out. I ordered two singles and should have them next week, I'll let you know how all the adjustments go when I get them.
    I'm currently playing Pearl P-122TW's (and I hate them! O_o), footboard all the way back, spring tension about medium/medium-low, beaters about 4 inches away from the head.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

So, how do these things hold up to heel-toe stuff?

User Info Menu

The SC's hold up to any technique you throw at them. The longer footboard and design of the chain angle puts everything out of the way when your foot is in the full speed heel toe rocking motion. The Speed Cobras continue to impress me.

User Info Menu

Fantastic!

User Info Menu

only problem i see is that they dont include hardware for the clamp on the slave pedal, if you want to split them up in the future, darn it all to hades!!!!!
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

Picked up a pair of these babies over the weekend.

Out of the box, they were fast and light as a feather. I made some minor adjustments to fit my preferences and the pedals were still fast and light as a feather, but with a little more response for my heavy feet.

All in all, I love this pedal so far. It's a joy to play on and the build quality is excellent.

If anything terrible happens, I'll post an update.