Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tama Speed Cobra review

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tama Speed Cobra

Just wondering, is there any lag? Or is it truly fast as they claim, where it responds to all nuances?

User Info Menu

the only concern I can question is there is no toe stop included and will they make a matching silver one to add on? I am used to having them on my my IC's and think the prevent slipping to far forward. is it that the board is such a different angle and length that you never play forward like traditional pedals?

User Info Menu

Yeah, the pedals are quite a bit longer, so unless you have size 13s and play heel down all the time I don't think you'll have that problem much.

I find i only really choke up on the front when I'm playing softly. Other than that the latter half of the pedal is really where I play the most. The long foot boards have quite a few sweet spots.

User Info Menu

Has anybody tried the Jr version?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tama Speed Cobra review

I love these pedals too, and I learned something on my journey to end up with these. I can't buy pedals without playing them for a couple of hours at least twice. So I found out what my music stores 's return policy was upfront , which was 30 days unconditional except for damage or not having the original box and packaging.
    So first, iron cobras, then the dw 9002 and finally the speed cobras, and I love them. I like what you said about filtering out the noise. I have spent many hours in return lines because Mo . Larry, or Curly said to buy this one or that one. Never again, it's my money and my preference whatever it is!

User Info Menu

Seems lately all i've been hearing, both on DC and reviews from other drummers/friends is how great these pedals are. I really want to give them a try.

User Info Menu

Not to steal this thread:
    I'm also a Speed King fanatic...just got the single Speed Cobra. After all the hype, curiosity got the better of me. I play a combo of heel down and up and can agree with the poster saying you get more response further back on the pedal(it's long "boardiness" helps). Also I swapped the beater for a heavier Sonor or traditional, round felt beater and removed the coil to get the response I wanted. Just beware you have to use the tool provided-Tama bolt heads are a bit too small to fit a regular drum key.
    I think the hoop clamp is a quirky idea with no advantage I can see.
    FYI I like to keep the kick head fairly tight.
    So now I have to say, with some reservation, it's a better than the Speed King due to its long board and stable plate. And only marginally better than the $60 Sonor, single chain, single pedal I have too.
    Oh, and it doesn't squeak at all!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I picked up an "as new, in case" single Speed Cobra pedal through Craigslist today. The seller was asking $90, and I didn't even bother to haggle. I've been playing an Iron Cobra for a couple years and for the last few months have been intrigued with the whole long-board thing, and particularly the positive commentary on the Speed Cobra. I happened to be in Guitar Center a couple days ago and saw a Speed Cobra set up in the pedal lineup, so I had to put my foot to it. Man, after just a couple stomps (while standing) I heard myself say "WOW" in my head. I responded to the CL ad immediately (from the parking lot), and the rest is history.

After playing with it for a few hours today I think it's fair to say I'm a long board guy. Everything feels more natural and in a way, easier on this pedal. Heel up, heel down, heel-toe, feathering, everything seemingly takes less effort, and I feel like I'm at a much higher level of overall CONTROL. Then pull your toes about 2/3 back on the board and play heel-up, and feel the power. BOOM! It's amazing - not so much the sound achieved, but that it seems to take so much less effort to get a powerful stroke from back there. Maybe I'm kind of giddy over the price I paid, but I'm truly sold on this pedal.

Additionally, with regard to the beater (as mentioned before) the head can be pivoted so a flat side of the felt contacts the head. This is how I set mine up - it works better for me. It's a solid and substantial beater. I was a little hesitant about it at first, but don't be fooled by its appearance. It's a really nice beater.
    Mapex Saturn tubs
    Assorted Zildjian & Paiste pies

User Info Menu

Nice, I got mine 2 yrs ago for xmas and it has been my favorite pedal still. In fact when I got it I had just bought a dw-9000 about 3 months beforehend but when I got the SC I sold the dw. If I could find another sc for $90 I would be all over it..thats a great find
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I have had the Speed Cobras for two years now and they go everywhere I go when I play (even if a back line is provided with hardware). By far the best pedals I have used.

The longer foot board is fantastic giving it much diversity and playing options. The smooth footboard is fantastic for sliding or "rotating" techniques. The adjustments are endless and offer countless options. They are smooth, light, fast, and powerful. TAMA did it right. Other pedals may have a "tight" or "heavier feel" but lack the speed or fluidity. In addition other pedals may be light yet don't deliver enough power. Other pedals don't have as many choices for adjusting. TAMA has it all in this pedal.

The only thing I have replaced are the beaters.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Hi,
    I am waiting on a IC power glide Dbl kick pedal to arrive.
    a few weeks ago,I had a mishap with my old pedal which was a stagg, and it totally snapped, the foot plate, So I asked about for help on picking a strong one! the popular advice I got was an IC!
    so I searched about and found this one for £90. delivered.
    I am looking forward to using it, I am using a borrowed, un branded one now and it is a bit dodgy.
    Bridie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bridie View Post
    Hi,
    I am waiting on a IC power glide Dbl kick pedal to arrive.
    a few weeks ago,I had a mishap with my old pedal which was a stagg, and it totally snapped, the foot plate, So I asked about for help on picking a strong one! the popular advice I got was an IC!
    so I searched about and found this one for £90. delivered.
    I am looking forward to using it, I am using a borrowed, un branded one now and it is a bit dodgy.
    Bridie
    You snapped... the footplate?

Rock-n-Roll!
    Mapex Saturn tubs

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by No1UNo View Post
    You snapped... the footplate?

Rock-n-Roll!
    well the footplate snapped, I think our guitarist who swapped with me for one number did it, he has massive feet!
    I got back on the kit and it went 'snap!' luckily I could manage on just the one!
    but yeah, it snapped close to the toe end.
    Bridie

User Info Menu

I just got in from school to a iron cobra shaped parcel!!!!
    Bridie
    :D

User Info Menu

IMO, the Speed Cobra is the best pedal on the market.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bridie View Post
    I just got in from school to a iron cobra shaped parcel!!!!
    Bridie
    :D
    Sweet! Hope we get a report on them.
    Mapex Saturn tubs

User Info Menu

Thanks for info
    Kreg
    First concert the Beatles 1966
    Love to rock and roll with my set of Rogers

User Info Menu

I know it was asked before but has anyone had any experience with both the IC and the SC? And which did you prefer and why?
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by imperialstar15 View Post
    I know it was asked before but has anyone had any experience with both the IC and the SC? And which did you prefer and why?
    Yep, see my post (#33) above. It all boils down to a leverage thing to me. The position of the fulcrum in relation to your foot is the whole deal. I also suppose the bearing setup on the SC is a contributing factor. It's crazy slick.
    Mapex Saturn tubs

User Info Menu

Yep, see my post (#33) above. It all boils down to a leverage thing to me. The position of the fulcrum in relation to your foot is the whole deal. I also suppose the bearing setup on the SC is a contributing factor. It's crazy slick.
    Thanks, I'm just trying to decide between the IC flex-glide and SC, it would be just a single, i don't do any swivel techniques or anything, the fast thing I play is doubles every now and then. But i also hear the SC is a lot lighter feeling and smoother then the IC, but then there's the the feeling i love from strap driven pedals. I guess I need to go try them out somewhere
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by imperialstar15 View Post
    Thanks, I'm just trying to decide between the IC flex-glide and SC, it would be just a single, i don't do any swivel techniques or anything, the fast thing I play is doubles every now and then. But i also hear the SC is a lot lighter feeling and smoother then the IC, but then there's the the feeling i love from strap driven pedals. I guess I need to go try them out somewhere
    Are you near a Guitar Center? Most of them have a bunch of pedals lined up for comparison. Might be worth the trip for you.
    Mapex Saturn tubs

User Info Menu

Curious how the Speed Cobra compares to the Pearl Demon Direct double pedal that I have. I tried several pedals before finally deciding on the Demon, which I got because I was able to adjust it to be super light in action. I had not tried the Speed Cobra, but I can't imagine, for my needs, that it would be any lighter/easier to play than my Demon. Has anyone played both and how do you think they compare? I'm very happy with the Demon.
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Are you near a Guitar Center? Most of them have a bunch of pedals lined up for comparison. Might be worth the trip for you.
    I might have to go try that. I'm near a guitar center and two different SamAshes, so I'll definitely have to go pay them a visit. Thanks for the help No1UNo!
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

Sweet! Hope we get a report on them.
    well I have had a chance to give the pedal a good test, and I can say so far I really like it, it is so smooth and feels like It is part of my feet already. It feels strong but not heavy at all. I do a bit of fast stuff and they are right up my street for that. :D

Bridie