Thread: I NEED HELP (advise)

User Info Menu

Default I NEED HELP (advise)

ive had an acoustic set for 1 year and 10 months (also the same amount of time ive been playing), however ive found many things out over this time, firstly that drums are very loud and you cant play them stupid hours in the morning or night, also i found that have a computer near a drum kit would be very helpful ( my current kit is in the garage).

anyways i have been saving up, im only £17 so i dont make a hug amount of money but i have around £200 punds and i am planning to save around £400 to invest in an electric kit,

ive had my eyes set for the alesis DM6 for around £350

is that a good choice, what can i get thats better for that price, any advice highly appreciated

oh also, how realistic are electric kits?

User Info Menu

Default Re: I NEED HELP (advise)

devin, it will be an OK ekit, but not a really good one. It is one of the beginner kits in the ekit world, so you will have to keep that in mind. Having said that, though, if it is what you can afford, and if it helps you continue your drumming, then all the best to you.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

DM6 are supposed to be not too bad actually. It's just that since the dm10's came out, customers look at the older offerings and think they are crap. For work with a computer, i'd highly recommend the dm10. It has usb connectivity as well as improved sensitivity and some other nice features making it a top choice in the e-kit world right now. Like any e-kit it still takes a little setting-up to dial in your sound. You might want to check out any local drum or music stores to see if it's in, as well as compare it against other kits.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

DM6 is doo doo. It has nothing to do with the DM10 coming out. It's just not great. Period. The DM5, which is older, is a thousand times better than the DM6.

If you're locked into the DM6 price range then what you should be looking at is the Yamaha DTXplorer. It's the only beginner e-kit that isn't garbage. The Roland TD4 is also a good beginner e-kit but isn't worth the price. It's twice is much as the DTXplorer and is pretty much equal in quality.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

thanks for the advise in the end i bought a DM5 for just £175 second hand, the only thing is that the high hat pedal doesnt work, were can i buy a new one?

ill upload pics tonight

User Info Menu

congratulations you should love the dm5. nice to have those 12 inputs that you can set to any sound available. dm5 was my first module.
    We Have nothing to fear but Reefs and Pirates

I tried taking life seriously, didn't much like it so now what I take seriously is living

kris finney Guest

i started with a Yamaha dd55 drum machine then got a Roland td3 which cost the magic £200 and it was great

User Info Menu

Hi Devin. Congrats on the new e-drums.

You'll find you can play pretty much whenever you now.

Hope you enjoy them!