Thread: Double Kick question.

User Info Menu

Cool Double Kick question.

I've had a double kick for a while, but never bothered to learn to play it properly, and I don't get much time to practise on my actual kit. Can anyone give me tips/advise about practise techniques I can do while away from my kit to improve speed and control. Also independance is a big thing I want.

All advice is welcome.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Practice when you aren't at your kit.

Tap your feet - Although annoying to other people, who cares, it's not like you're doing it without a reason.

If you want independence, do basic rudiments with your feet. Subdivisions, Rolls, Single Stroke exercises, Paradiddles.

Just go nuts.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by hellsbells58
    Practice when you aren't at your kit.

Tap your feet - Although annoying to other people, who cares, it's not like you're doing it without a reason.

If you want independence, do basic rudiments with your feet. Subdivisions, Rolls, Single Stroke exercises, Paradiddles.

Just go nuts.

HB58
    See, I do that now, but the problem is, I play heel up (very difficult to practise without a kit), and I also have trouble keeping time properly. Ultimatly it doesn't seem to be improving when I get on the kit. Of course I am also impatient, so it might just be that I need to keep at it long enough.

I managed to find another thread on here thanks to another member that had a link to some independance exercises, that I think would be benefical if I swapped the marker for open/closeing the hi-hat with my left kick.

Would you, or anyone know of a place I can download a digital metronome or something to practise/tap with?

User Info Menu

I play heel up as well, but I can honestly say that tapping your feet along to songs on the radio and working rudiments and subdivisions helps amazingly.

Online Metronome: This is a handy thing I found on the net. However, there was a link to another good downloadable one in another thread.

HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Thanks dude. Question again though, with a metronome, is the click every 1 count, or every 1 and 3 count? So is it 1e+a(click) 2e+a 3e+a 4e+a 1e+a(click) 2e+a 3e+a 4e+a or is ot 1e+a(click) 2e+a 3e+a(click), 4e+a 1e+a(click) 2e+a 3e+a(click) 4e+a?

And, also 8th notes are 1e+a 2e+a etc.. yeah? I get so confused about the terminologies, because i had lesson for about 6 months, stopped and didn't play drums for years, then one day just started playing and have tought myself pretty much everything. So to play 8th notes is just single strokes on 1e+a, 2e+a yeah? or is that 16ths? And what are 32nds? I know this is basic stuff, but please answer with a straight face.

User Info Menu

this is off topic, but i don't wanna start a whole new thread for this so, HellsBells, whats indipendance? just a short explanations good. (i'm practicing indipendance I don't even know the real definition.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger
    Question again though, with a metronome, is the click every 1 count, or every 1 and 3 count? So is it 1e+a(click) 2e+a 3e+a 4e+a 1e+a(click) 2e+a 3e+a 4e+a or is ot 1e+a(click) 2e+a 3e+a(click), 4e+a 1e+a(click) 2e+a 3e+a(click) 4e+a?
    The metronome clicks every beat. So in your explanation it would sound like 1e+a 2e+a 3e+a 4e+a. Where the bold is where the clicks occur.

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger
    And, also 8th notes are 1e+a 2e+a etc.. yeah?
    Incorrect. Counting 1e+a2e+a3e+a4e+a subdivides into 16th notes. 8th notes are just 1+2+3+4+.

32nds are the next step up in the subdivisions from 16ths. Where you would be playing 8 evenly spaced strokes per beat.

SD|oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo|
    Mt|1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a |

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin
    this is off topic, but i don't wanna start a whole new thread for this so, HellsBells, whats indipendance? just a short explanations good. (i'm practicing indipendance I don't even know the real definition.
    Independence is the ability to co-ordinate each of your limbs so that they can operate without affecting the operation of another limb. For example, if you wanted to play an accented note on the snare drum, having good independence would allow you to hit harder with your left hand, while keeping your hands on the hi-hats at the same volume.

I tried my best to give you a concise definition,
    HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Thanks HB - Like I said, I'm rusty on the lingo and stuff.

Also, that means I straight out suck at DBL kick - oh well - keep going at it and I'll get more accurate speed eventually.