Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drummer's Health

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drummer's Health

Get Well! Phrogge my friend.

Man! I totally sucked as an athlete and took up drums instead.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    PHROGGEE writes:

"JUST WHEN YA LEAST EXPECT IT,,,LAST NITE MAY 25TH WHILE PLAYIN A SHOW FOR "TOBY KEITH'S RED SOLO CUP / RIDE FOR THE WALL VETERANS EVENT" I HAD A STROKE ONSTAGE" (MY 2ND IN 2 MONTHS),,,AS IF GOD & I WERE HAVIN A DEBATE & HE WAS WINNIN,,,ABOUT EVRY 30 MINUTES I SEEMED TO FIND MY "INNER STRENTH & REPLY I WASNT REDAY YET,,,THEY ALWAYS SAY THERE'S THAT WHITE LIGHT ON DA WAY OUT,,,EVERYTIME I CLOSED MY EYES I SAW MINT GREEN,,,GREEN MEANS GO,,,SO I FIGGERED IF I WAS GONNA GO IT WAS GONNA BE TRYIN TO PLAY GOOD DRUM GROOVES & SINGIN MY *** OFF..I NOW AM REQUIRED TO BE ON OXYGEN 24 HRS,,,,AND THEY'RE TRYIN TO DETERMINE IF IM "DISABLED"....WHOA!@!!"
    woah!!i didn't read all the thread, hope he's going to be ok.

all the best

Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Diet is probably as important as exrecise. So, I reccommend bass, or skin less chicken or even fish sticks Stuffed shells and pork chops are also very healthy. Vegetables like beets and Korn. For desert, I'd stay away from piesand have fresh fruit like mandolyn oranges. .....Yeah, I know!
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MR. G View Post
    Diet is probably as important as exrecise. So, I reccommend bass, or skin less chicken or even fish sticks Stuffed shells and pork chops are also very healthy. Vegetables like beets and Korn. For desert, I'd stay away from piesand have fresh fruit like mandolyn oranges. .....Yeah, I know!
    Ooo!...what happened to the time tested classics like beer and pizza?

all the best...

User Info Menu

Rice and pasta dishes, for carbohydrates, are in my diet as well as salads, lean meat and fish dishes. I do junk out once in a while, but that's because I eat a balanced diet. I cut out getting any commercially bought pizzas for example.....long ago, thanks to living next door to a Calabrian family, I got into making my own pizzas, which is way more healthier. Look up the Mediterranean Diet, which has fruit, vegetables, olive oil and wine as important parts of it.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

it's the crisp's and chocolate that get me, Friday/Saturday nights.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

I know I'm one of the newbies, but take it from me, life is better if you're healthy. Two years ago at the "old" age of 50, I was over 420lbs and in heart failure..... Today I've lost over 100 lbs and feel a whole lot better. Luckily no heart damage. I'm working on my last 100 lbs or so, because I want to be around a while enjoying life with my kids, grandkids (damn I'm too young to be old), and gorgeous girlfriend. If you're just beginning start slow, walk, ride a bike, and get outside in the sunshine, slowly build up you're routine adding exercises with or without weights as you go. Endurance gets better. Don't eat anything out of a box, drop all soft drinks, drink water, and if it says "healthy" RUN! Common sense, fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables, fish, chicken, cut refined sugar intake, instead of artificial sweeteners use agave nectar. Use olive oil, coconut oil, real butter, eggs, and bacon. Try to eat 5 small meals a day to keep up your metabolism, and if trying to accelerate weight loss, control cholesterol and blood sugar try PGX. It's available at Vitamin Shoppe and GNC. The only reason I know this stuff is I'm a type II diabetic, which means I got myself this way by eating too much junk and sitting on my fat a$$. Now I'm struggling to get back into shape and rid myself of the diabetes, which can be done. Don't learn the hard way like I did.... I'm off the soap box, thanks for your indulgence....

User Info Menu

Unhappy Re: Drummer's Health

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    PHROGGEE writes:

"JUST WHEN YA LEAST EXPECT IT,,,LAST NITE MAY 25TH WHILE PLAYIN A SHOW FOR "TOBY KEITH'S RED SOLO CUP / RIDE FOR THE WALL VETERANS EVENT" I HAD A STROKE ONSTAGE" (MY 2ND IN 2 MONTHS),,,AS IF GOD & I WERE HAVIN A DEBATE & HE WAS WINNIN,,,ABOUT EVRY 30 MINUTES I SEEMED TO FIND MY "INNER STRENTH & REPLY I WASNT REDAY YET,,,THEY ALWAYS SAY THERE'S THAT WHITE LIGHT ON DA WAY OUT,,,EVERYTIME I CLOSED MY EYES I SAW MINT GREEN,,,GREEN MEANS GO,,,SO I FIGGERED IF I WAS GONNA GO IT WAS GONNA BE TRYIN TO PLAY GOOD DRUM GROOVES & SINGIN MY *** OFF..I NOW AM REQUIRED TO BE ON OXYGEN 24 HRS,,,,AND THEY'RE TRYIN TO DETERMINE IF IM "DISABLED"....WHOA!@!!"
    I am so sorry to hear about PHROGGEE! Here's hoping we hear more good news from him soon...thanks, late8...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I mean eating a healthy diet is pretty much a good way to go for everything in life. I think good for drumming, is taking care of your wrists...stretching, warming up before playing (I like to do some basic exercises from Stick Control) and just playing loose, Tendonitis no no good!

User Info Menu

Please my phriends,,,
    pay attention to yer health !!!!!

50 years of pro drumming has given me much success
    it has been my life & soul..
    It has caused much pleasure & much pain...

I have attempted to clean up my act..
    I have not had a drink in 27 years
    i have been drug free for 8 years,,
    however i did not pay attention
    to da "temple" (my body) altho
    someone else (or something)
    was trying to send me many messages...
    The result is horrific...:
    I am constantly dizzy,i have severe migraine headaches
    nearly blind now *(i can only see shapes not detail)
    i can barely lift my arms or walk...
    My chest feels like im constantly bein body slammed
    & i can hardly breathe

i have had 2 strokes in 2 months
    1st was april 3rd ( i was in er,admitted for observation.
    Missed my wifes knee replacement surgery)
    had my daughter & neighbor roadie for me
    & went strait from hospital to stage next nite ...

2nd occurred onstage during event performance may 25th
    memorial day weekend honoring veterans
    toby keiths "red solo cup /ride for the wall"
    my brain completly disconnected..
    My motor skills were nonexsistent,,
    i could not breathe to sing,,,

end result:im headed thru my 2nd week of recooperation
    i pray i may return to stage soon...how soon is da ????

Do as i say,,,not as i do...
    Dont let it happen to you...
    Play it forward,,,
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

I gotta do something.I quit smoking 2 yrs ago after 27+ yrs and got on weight watchers for about 10 months and lost over 40lbs, (was down to 193) and was running 3 miles every other day..I am now back up to 222 and eating very badly, not doing any exercise and my left shoulder is killing me all the time.. I need to find a better diet that I can stick too (I know I am not alone here) and gotta start running again..
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Drumchat fitness club?
    We could personally challenge each other
    set a realistic goal for end of year success..
    Then we;ll all be alive to share our success...
    Yey or ney,,,any takers?

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PHROGGE View Post
    Please my phriends,,,
    pay attention to yer health !!!!!

50 years of pro drumming has given me much success
    it has been my life & soul..
    It has caused much pleasure & much pain...

I have attempted to clean up my act..
    I have not had a drink in 27 years
    i have been drug free for 8 years,,
    however i did not pay attention
    to da "temple" (my body) altho
    someone else (or something)
    was trying to send me many messages...
    The result is horrific...:
    I am constantly dizzy,i have severe migraine headaches
    nearly blind now *(i can only see shapes not detail)
    i can barely lift my arms or walk...
    My chest feels like im constantly bein body slammed
    & i can hardly breathe

i have had 2 strokes in 2 months
    1st was april 3rd ( i was in er,admitted for observation.
    Missed my wifes knee replacement surgery)
    had my daughter & neighbor roadie for me
    & went strait from hospital to stage next nite ...

2nd occurred onstage during event performance may 25th
    memorial day weekend honoring veterans
    toby keiths "red solo cup /ride for the wall"
    my brain completly disconnected..
    My motor skills were nonexsistent,,
    i could not breathe to sing,,,

end result:im headed thru my 2nd week of recooperation
    i pray i may return to stage soon...how soon is da ????

Do as i say,,,not as i do...
    Dont let it happen to you...
    Play it forward,,,
    Phrogge, wishing you a healthy recooperation, prayers are with you.

User Info Menu

Question Apps for Fitness

How about Apps for fitness? I've heard of one that can help endurance and is particularly aimed to get people to run their first marathon (5K) ---- goal is to get you from where you are at the moment to running in 30 minutes without stopping.

So maybe keeping an eye for general fitness and endurance? (Lots of people swear that swimming is the way to go --- particularly for strengthening the neck)

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Phrogge, wishing you a healthy recooperation, prayers are with you.

User Info Menu

There's nothing wrong with any approach - apps, or whatever - if it gets us up and moving. I admit that in my work it is very hard some days to get the exercise that I need. I sit at the office, then I sit in the car to go sit down and talk with people. Usually, when I get home I am mentally tired, and I sit down to recharge. I'm currently trying to change my routine.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    There's nothing wrong with any approach - apps, or whatever - if it gets us up and moving. I admit that in my work it is very hard some days to get the exercise that I need. I sit at the office, then I sit in the car to go sit down and talk with people. Usually, when I get home I am mentally tired, and I sit down to recharge. I'm currently trying to change my routine.
    Me too PB

User Info Menu

Thxs for da well wishes,,,,
    it has taken time (almost 3 weeks ) to sorta back to normal....
    I hate bein on oxygen (its like a tether...limits my "freedom")
    i am recording, i do have live gigs upcoming (next is 3 wks away)

i have found an "alternative" to kit playing:
    Simply understanding the ergonomics of drumming
    which has been solved by a roland epad(similar to an octopad)
    inside that "2 ft square parimeter" i can work 5 to 6 hrs...
    Yes i have an oxygen compressor unit with me by kit & on stage
    but i can play & still sing like i cant even believe !!!!
    Stay tuned for further adventures from our hero....lol

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA

User Info Menu

hi PHROGGE, good to hear you're feeling better. If I lived closer I'd bring a pot of Jambalaya your way. Correction I'll bring the pot and ingredients I'm only half Cajun so I'll leave that cooking part to you
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

slinky ....you just come visit anyway!!! "PAPADEAUX'S" RESTURANT IS HERE ,,,
    WE'LL JUST GO THERE & EAT ( OF COURSE AL COPELAND OF POPEYES CHICKEN)
    HAS A PLACE & I KNOW IT AINT DA SAME...."AINT THAT A SHAME" (FATS DOMINO)
    IN THE WORDS OF ONE OF MY EX BOSSES!!! (BEEN PLENTY OF THOSE)...

THXS FOR DA WELL WISHES...WISH I HADDA PERMANENT SOLUTION
    TO MY PROBLEM....ONLY TIME WILL TELL....

MAN I MISS THROWIN DARTS IN ATLANTA!!!!

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA

User Info Menu

All the best to you in recovering from that stroke. You know, we think we are Superman when we are young. We do alot of things like drinking, drugs and running after women LOL. I always said " What you do to yourself in your younger years will catch up to you in your golden years" ain't it the the truth. I am limited to what I can do and I never had a heart attack or stroke etc. Me it is my lungs from work related accident to chemical exposures. Drumming is now my only hobby whenever I can get the lung capacity to play a little. Anyway good luck to you Phrogg.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Taking Care of Us

Well said!

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I always said " What you do to yourself in your younger years will catch up to you in your golden years" ain't it the the truth.

User Info Menu

Yeah good luck with the recovery -

I would say the number one thing a drummer could do to prevent health issues is to avoid marriage and children.

MM

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ZackPomerleau View Post
    Are there any health regiments or something that would be beneficial for a drummer? Perfect foods, exercise routines, etc, to manage weight and whatnot? Thanks for the help! I want to get into the best shape possible.
    Must say yes to healthy living! ,sad to admit too much beer can be really bad for our joints causing major discomfort I was recently out 2 weeks on tour (europe) and had terrible aches on my right shoulder towards the end of the tour thinking it was the heavy hi-hats I was using without knowing until I saw my Dr it was too much acid my stomach was producing that was affecting me so the joints become tight and achy & beer is one major producer,besides fatty intakes of foods.http://www.drumchat.com/images/smilies/drumset-3.gif

User Info Menu

I was set on hitting the treadmill after work today. Had everything in the car to go straight over before getting home but when that time came I didn't stop to go. I might not get there until Saturday now but confident that I will.

A simple routine of exercise makes me feel so much better all around. It makes falling asleep faster and getting up in the morning so much easier. I'm not springboarding out of bed or anything but the urge to hit the snooze button a few more times goes away.

Also our show sets are 45min of high energy and they will hurt if I'm not prepared. Not too long ago I had one of the most dramatizing times I can remember playing a show. I swear I was hyperventilating and it sucked big time. Depending on the time we get the set list will go 3-3-3 or 3-2-3 but that night during the 40 sec breaks I was on the freakin floor behind the riser trying to catch my breath. It was a terrible experience.

Maybe not being in the best shape had nothing to do with that experience but may as well use it for motivation.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Smile Excercise Regimen

Interested to hear the sort of regimen you have going on (the 'simple routine of exercise' that makes you feel better all around)!

Maybe it'll inspire other forum members (and some lurkers too!) to sort out what regimen they'll stick with --- and that it isn't that difficult to establish a routine.

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    I was set on hitting the treadmill after work today. Had everything in the car to go straight over before getting home but when that time came I didn't stop to go. I might not get there until Saturday now but confident that I will.

A simple routine of exercise makes me feel so much better all around. It makes falling asleep faster and getting up in the morning so much easier. I'm not springboarding out of bed or anything but the urge to hit the snooze button a few more times goes away.

Also our show sets are 45min of high energy and they will hurt if I'm not prepared. Not too long ago I had one of the most dramatizing times I can remember playing a show. I swear I was hyperventilating and it sucked big time. Depending on the time we get the set list will go 3-3-3 or 3-2-3 but that night during the 40 sec breaks I was on the freakin floor behind the riser trying to catch my breath. It was a terrible experience.

Maybe not being in the best shape had nothing to do with that experience but may as well use it for motivation.