Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drummer's Health

User Info Menu

Question Drummer's Health

Are there any health regiments or something that would be beneficial for a drummer? Perfect foods, exercise routines, etc, to manage weight and whatnot? Thanks for the help! I want to get into the best shape possible.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drummer's Health

I think general good health will help you feel the groove. Using a balance of cardio and weight training, i think it is often suggested as a training regimen. I suspect being too bulky with muscle may be detrimental..
    What say you?

User Info Menu

If you have the ability to search Modern Drummer interviews, start your search by looking for Terry Bozzio and William Goldsmith. Those two talked about health and nutrition/conditioning in their interviews.

On an unrelated note, I just finished watching game two of the Giants/Braves. I imagine infielders and especially pitchers must care for ligaments and tendons as drummers would, and the latter also having some useful information about stressful repetitive motion.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

I'll be checking out all of this information, thank you guys!

User Info Menu

It is easy to keep the pounds off when you are young cause you are more active but when you get certain age 40 and over it becomes a challenge. I think most of the problems is marriage to blame cause the woman wants you to stay at home and that bascially fattens you up so you don't look too good for the opposite sex.LOL Face it a drummer just sits there and sweats it while the rest of the band move around more. Eating good food not junk and walking or jogging if you can helps alot. Now this is just my own opinion and I am sure there are more out there will agree or disagree but that is ok.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    It is easy to keep the pounds off when you are young cause you are more active but when you get certain age 40 and over it becomes a challenge. I think most of the problems is marriage to blame cause the woman wants you to stay at home and that bascially fattens you up so you don't look too good for the opposite sex.LOL Face it a drummer just sits there and sweats it while the rest of the band move around more. Eating good food not junk and walking or jogging if you can helps alot. Now this is just my own opinion and I am sure there are more out there will agree or disagree but that is ok.
    I played 3-5 nights per week for almost 20 years until my kids were born. Then - I pretty much quit playing "cold turkey" when my son was born on 10-11-01. I did play a few gigs here and there....but I'd say an average of once a month.

I gained 20lbs. Bam!

When I began playing full-time again back in '07...I lost those twenty lbs within 3 months.

Now...I keep in much better shape......with a steady 3 day a week weight routine and a much better diet. (I'm actually in the best shape of my life right now....and have maintained a good routine for almost two years. )

For me....the exercises that help me the most with drumming is the core stuff....(sit ups, squats, lower back). These help me balance my rear end on the stool, make my pedal work come easier, and keep me stronger throughout a 4-hour gig.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    ... Face it a drummer just sits there and sweats it while the rest of the band move around more.
    I think I get more of a workout sitting down behind the kit than I ever did standing up and moving around playing bass . As a matter of fact, I have noticed that my shoulders don't hurt as much in the mornings since I have started playing drums.

Since the weather has become real nice here lately, I started jogging my kid to school (him on a scooter) and back. Would come home and do some pushups. For the few days of being sore from the pushups (way out of shape these days), I could hardly play my kit with any justice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kickinit View Post
    I think I get more of a workout sitting down behind the kit than I ever did standing up and moving around playing bass . As a matter of fact, I have noticed that my shoulders don't hurt as much in the mornings since I have started playing drums.

Since the weather has become real nice here lately, I started jogging my kid to school (him on a scooter) and back. Would come home and do some pushups. For the few days of being sore from the pushups (way out of shape these days), I could hardly play my kit with any justice
    AHH!! Another bass player! I can relate to the shoulder pain. I second the drum workout being more intense. It is easy to work up a sweat when playing drums. The only time I ever practiced the bass and sweat was when the ac was not working.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Drummer's Health

Truth is, drumming is one of the most energetic exercises outside the sports arena...ever notice most drummers have muscular forearms and biceps!

I must admit, however, sitting without havin' something to kick or work your feet (as some hand drummers like me don't while they're playing), it's easy to develop what my brother used to call a "Dunlop belly"--as in "it Dunlop over."

You might want to discuss any exercise plan with your doctor, since he or she can help you get the best combination of exercises for your physique and your physical health...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    I played 3-5 nights per week for almost 20 years until my kids were born. Then - I pretty much quit playing "cold turkey" when my son was born on 10-11-01. I did play a few gigs here and there....but I'd say an average of once a month.
    what an awesome date to be born on
    | Yamaha Stage Custom | Sabian AAX | Dream |

User Info Menu

Other than the general suggestion that you keep yourself in the best general health you can, I recommend doing a series of stretching exercises before starting to play. Starting with your legs, arms, torso, ect, all the way to your wrists and fingers. Get warmed up. It makes a big difference, especially when you start getting a little bit of experience (age) on yourself.

User Info Menu

just thought I'd bring this thread back up and add this link. I've been looking for information because I'm hoping I don't have a stress fracture on/in my right foot.

http://www.sportsrehab.com/drumminghealth.htm#
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Also, look up Jen Hoeft. I've seen her in magazines and ads recently. She specializes in this sort of thing.

jenhoeft.com

User Info Menu

Hey all...though he may NOT wanted me to say anything here..but it was on another social media..lets say a prayer for the recovery of our PHriend PHROGGEE..had a stroke and is under doctors care..he is OK now and resting at home...that man works to hard.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MartyM View Post
    Hey all...though he may NOT wanted me to say anything here..but it was on another social media..lets say a prayer for the recovery of our PHriend PHROGGEE..had a stroke and is under doctors care..he is OK now and resting at home...that man works to hard.
    Oh no! The poor guy!! Seems like PHROGGE is always having health problems. I sure hope he has a speedy recovery. I have mad respect for that guy.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Had no idea...............will say prayers for a quick recovery..................I've never been on Facebook, so please keep us posted.

User Info Menu

will do guys...I was not sure where to place this post..
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Yeah, saw that on FB. His spirit is good. He's making jokes.

Let me just say from personal experience, even dire situations can be cured with surgery. Else I might not have been able to make this post.

User Info Menu

Wow! Thank you for sharing this. I will certainly say a prayer for him and his family.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Man, that's terrible. I hope he's OK. He was just in here the other night.

User Info Menu

Wow..I was thinking about PHROGGE the other day while driving down the highway and up pops his tune "Play That Funky Music" by Wild Cherry on the car radio. Thanks for the heads up MartyM!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Had no idea...............will say prayers for a quick recovery..................I've never been on Facebook, so please keep us posted.
    PHROGGEE writes:

"JUST WHEN YA LEAST EXPECT IT,,,LAST NITE MAY 25TH WHILE PLAYIN A SHOW FOR "TOBY KEITH'S RED SOLO CUP / RIDE FOR THE WALL VETERANS EVENT" I HAD A STROKE ONSTAGE" (MY 2ND IN 2 MONTHS),,,AS IF GOD & I WERE HAVIN A DEBATE & HE WAS WINNIN,,,ABOUT EVRY 30 MINUTES I SEEMED TO FIND MY "INNER STRENTH & REPLY I WASNT REDAY YET,,,THEY ALWAYS SAY THERE'S THAT WHITE LIGHT ON DA WAY OUT,,,EVERYTIME I CLOSED MY EYES I SAW MINT GREEN,,,GREEN MEANS GO,,,SO I FIGGERED IF I WAS GONNA GO IT WAS GONNA BE TRYIN TO PLAY GOOD DRUM GROOVES & SINGIN MY *** OFF..I NOW AM REQUIRED TO BE ON OXYGEN 24 HRS,,,,AND THEY'RE TRYIN TO DETERMINE IF IM "DISABLED"....WHOA!@!!"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    PHROGGEE writes:

"JUST WHEN YA LEAST EXPECT IT,,,LAST NITE MAY 25TH WHILE PLAYIN A SHOW FOR "TOBY KEITH'S RED SOLO CUP / RIDE FOR THE WALL VETERANS EVENT" I HAD A STROKE ONSTAGE" (MY 2ND IN 2 MONTHS),,,AS IF GOD & I WERE HAVIN A DEBATE & HE WAS WINNIN,,,ABOUT EVRY 30 MINUTES I SEEMED TO FIND MY "INNER STRENTH & REPLY I WASNT REDAY YET,,,THEY ALWAYS SAY THERE'S THAT WHITE LIGHT ON DA WAY OUT,,,EVERYTIME I CLOSED MY EYES I SAW MINT GREEN,,,GREEN MEANS GO,,,SO I FIGGERED IF I WAS GONNA GO IT WAS GONNA BE TRYIN TO PLAY GOOD DRUM GROOVES & SINGIN MY *** OFF..I NOW AM REQUIRED TO BE ON OXYGEN 24 HRS,,,,AND THEY'RE TRYIN TO DETERMINE IF IM "DISABLED"....WHOA!@!!"
    I so feel for him. That's got to be tough man.

Hang in there Phrogge!

User Info Menu

i read pro drummers are as fit as Premiership footballers the other day, i find that hard to believe.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

This year I joined a gym through work and run 2 1/2 miles on the treadmill when i go. Try to get there two to three times a week. the good part is that the gym is right there at work so I can just go straight there when I get off.

Use to lift weights a lot but more into cardio now. Excersize is the best. It makes you feel better and benefits in so many other ways. I'm trying to cut back on food intake. Gettin old sucks!
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN