Thread: Mapex Kit

User Info Menu

Cool Mapex Kit

Just wondering if anyone has any opinions on Mapex drum kits as far as quality and value for money.

"What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

mapex makes good kits for every level of player. the orions sound beautiful.

User Info Menu

Good to hear. I am interested in getting this one here:
    http://drummersparadise.com.au/index...ils&content=14

Let me know what you guys think. To give you some perspective I currently have a Dixon Kit (although not the crappy Tempo). It was agift, so I wasn't a part of the purchase process and so I know very little about it as a result, so try to ask anything to specific. It did cost about as much as this particualr Mapex kit though, but it's only a standard 5 piece.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

a nice sounding intermediate kit. however i think the gretsch catalina birch is a better sounding kit for a bit less cash. again i think it is the best sounding kit in its range.

User Info Menu

Crazy,
    That is almost the same kit I have been checking into, except the one I'm looking at (the fusion set) has a 16" floor tom as well and a black panther snare (a second one). It is the same price $1299 at musicians friend. Actually, at music123.com, they had that set discounted down to $980 at checkout. The only thing is that the only color it is in is the tobacco fade, and I'm gunning for the red.

User Info Menu

It's 3 in the morning, but who can sleep after the jam session I just had?

I got my Mapex M 6-piece a couple of months ago, and I LOVE IT! Everytime I walk through the door from work, I have to go touch it. The honey amber color is just gorgeous.

It's true that the Gretsch comes in at a slightly better price, but with Mapex you get the free tom, all the hardware, and even a throne. With Gretsch, it's just a shell pack. Now me, I needed all the hardware, so the choice was simple. (And now the question remains: Who REALLY has the better price, since the difference in costs more than covered the very solid hardware I got.)

I got my kit from these guys:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/MAPEX-M-BIRCH-6-...QQcmdZViewItem
    I called them up, asked them if the 669 (it was 669 at the time, though the opening bid on the link I included now says 699) was just an opening bid or if they would sell it to me for that. He told me he'd sell it to me for 699, so I gave him my credit card, and not more than a week later it was at my front door. He's an official Mapex dealer and so had it shipped directly from the Mapex factory in Tennessee.

Now the bad news: The drums are so frickin' nice, that I had to go get some equally nice cymbals to go with them. So I've spent another 350 for a couple of Zildjian K crashes, and now I'm looking for an A Custom medium ride. Oh, well: Money isn't worth anything unless you spend it, right?!

So to sum up: I wouldn't trade my Mapex for anything. My good buddy, who has recorded professionally in a studio a time or two in the past, told me that with a little fiddling with tuning and such, that my drum set is STUDIO QUALITY.

Good luck to you!
    Last edited by sholmes2112; 04-22-2007 at 02:12 AM.