Thread: Djembe Miking

User Info Menu

Default Djembe Miking

What's the best way to mic a Djembe when recording and/or live? Area of miking, type of microphone, etc... I play in a band with a hand percussionist and I'd like to relay some info to him.

Thanks

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Djembe Miking

Mike, when my hand drums are miked for church, the ensemble leader uses an AEG500 cardioid mic and mounts it on a stand which places it over my bongos (which are on a stand nearly center over my three conga drums). It might work if your skin-slappin' buddy plays several instruments, but I have heard some djembe players use a condenser mic near the head.

I'd rather they tell you specifically, so, my brother djembe jammers, let's give DadMagnet some help!

BTW, I am moving this to the RECORDING DRUMS thread, since some of our stick-packers will have tips that can apply to kit or hand drummers...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Default Re: Djembe Miking

There are too many variables such as mic bleed, foldback system and such to answer your question in simple terms. In general a dynmanic mic like a Shure SM7 is the industry standard for hand drums; however, there are several drum specific mics available. I use Audix Fusion F10s and F12s for my congas and djembe. For condenser I would recommend the AKG C1000, and depending on how big you set up is use two in an XY pattern. There are many other mics as well. A general rule for using dynamic mics is the closer the mic to the head the more bass effect (technically this is called the proximity effect). There is no proximity effect when using a condensor mic so close micing is only effective in reducing the bleed from other instrument on stage and reducing the gain structure. Also with a condenser mic you should roll off the bass. You will have to experiment with placement to suit you needs; over the head will produce more skin sound, under micing will product very deep bass tones, I have used a combination of over and under micing. The third style of micing is seldom used, that is to point the mics at the drum body. There is a specialty mic--The C-Ducer--made just for this application.

User Info Menu

This is all extremely useful info, thanks for the knowledge

User Info Menu

simple djembe micing using an Audix Fusion F10, Hercules floor stand, Hercules mini boom. The advantage here is the player can adjust the mic and/or drum to control volume and tonal characteristics.